Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new mac pro on it's way

At first I hated the design, but it's starting to grow on me a bit. All of my video/image/render drives are external anyways and this thing takes up a lot less space and has easier-to-access ports.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I... I think I'm starting to actually want one.

I've been awaiting the Mac pro reveal with interest, because I know at some point (being optimistic about the future of my little animation studio) I'm going to outgrow my quad core i7 Mini and need more horsepower--especially render cores. The Mac Pro seems a perfect fit (I really have all the screen real estate I need so an iMac would introduce a redundant screen), assuming the final price points aren't out of reach.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by 3DGFXStudios View Post
    It looks like a trashcan!
    Its a sexy space tech trashcan.
    Put it in the livingroom its going to be the conversation maker.

It's certainly interesting. Though being ATI-based, the lack of support for CUDA is an issue. Pretty sure Apple knows how much CUDA support there is out there compared to OpenCL, I guess this might be a political statement of intent, encouraging devs to get away from proprietary, single vendor APIs like CUDA and onto the OCL train. Anyway, things certainly just got interesting!

The biggest downside for me is the lack of RAM slots. I mean, you would expect their "pro" mac to have more memory slots than a freakin' iMac!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    The biggest downside for me is the lack of RAM slots. I mean, you would expect their "pro" mac to have more memory slots than a freakin' iMac!
    But given the monster memory those slots hold, maybe four is all you'd need to be able to stuff with with massive sticks.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Time to start saving up for four 64GB sticks from OWC...

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    It's certainly interesting. Though being ATI-based, the lack of support for CUDA is an issue. Pretty sure Apple knows how much CUDA support there is out there compared to OpenCL, I guess this might be a political statement of intent, encouraging devs to get away from proprietary, single vendor APIs like CUDA and onto the OCL train. Anyway, things certainly just got interesting!...
    YES! People accuse (and maybe rightly so) Apple of being insular. But isn't CUDA just as provincial...... either you're Nvidia or you are out.

Here is some AMD "propaganda" touting superior speed AND efficiency using openCL in the newest versions of the Adobe product line..... AE, Premier etc..... link
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Wow, how much effort went into making the PCBs and other internal stuff look sleek. Then they stuff it in a glossy sausage.
    Obviously Mr Ives is free of his Jobbiness now...

Add an espresso machine in the center and you've got The Perfect Computing Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    At first I hated the design, but it's starting to grow on me a bit. All of my video/image/render drives are external anyways and this thing takes up a lot less space and has easier-to-access ports.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I... I think I'm starting to actually want one.
    You, Sir, have just been transmogrified by Apple's reality distortion field.

;-)

Resist the Dark Side! Nooooooes!
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Add an espresso machine in the center and you've got The Perfect Computing Environment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlarge_braun-coffee.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	114890

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlarge_braun-coffee.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	114890

Cheers,
    Mike
    Brilliant! And if burglars ever break in they won't know it's actually a state-of-the-art monster computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    You, Sir, have just been transmogrified by Apple's reality distortion field.

;-)

Resist the Dark Side! Nooooooes!
    I shall buy one and name it "Darth Monolith". AND I CAN PUT A PORTAL WARNING STICKER ON IT. Heck, this might just be the greatest computer design ever!

"Is... is that a nuclear reactor?"
    "Why no, it's my... " *straightens bowtie pretentiously* "... MAC PRO TRASHCAN SPACEPROBE LIGHTWAVE ENLIGHTENMENT INDUCER COFFEEMAKER."

arstechnica made a point again with this comment: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06...e-new-mac-pro/
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Brilliant! And if burglars ever break in they won't know it's actually a state-of-the-art monster computer!
    I'm just afraid that the coffee maker will be worth more in 10-20 years time...

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast