Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Softimage lowers their price...

Softimage lowers their price...

Well, looks like the market is gonna get a bit crowded...

http://store.softimage.com/store/lang/EN/3d_v4.asp

A base version of SI can be had for under $800, a higher end version with a built in Mental ray renderer can be had for $1250. Add $600 to that for Cloth Extreme...

XSI is available ffor between $4000 and $10,000

An XSI tutorial kit for $80

I think its important to mention this as its indicative of the current climate. Max is still at 4K I think. Considering what NT gives you in LW, and that the tuts are free, I stil think LW is the better value (unlimited render nodes, a mac version, built in dynamics (at least in 8) and a full investment in one version, as opposed to LW enterprise and LW pro.. )

Since Ihave a PC now, I'd love to take advantage of this just to have access to the modeler and animation tools, and provide better feedback to NT for LW .

Seriously though, I hope this creates some form of competative parity w/ LW to inspire innovation in its development....

Kinda like competition = kewl new features for us!!!!

I didn't even know that they were still selling the old softimage. And softimage has it's own renderer too? I always assumed that their "main" renderer was Mental Ray.

yeah, legacy products... woo hoo (sorry, I just can't get that excited about it)
    Last edited by takkun; 11-10-2003 at 04:25 AM.

Yap the market is going to be more crowded. competition is very high level and surely in 2004 we will see interesting things.for example one day or another Lux apps will arrive, so that another competitor will be in the market as well.
    (here Alias and Avid could have some problem...)

as a node based soft, XSI is right now a great app indeed, very competitive also with Maya, wich is more difficult to use. the rendering nodes are the only "lack" point here

on one hand Lw have unlimited render nodes and this can save you a lot of money especially if you're starting a new company.the Lw rendering is if not fast, very accurate, with a good final result.

on the other hand in XSI you have the best MRay integration
    ( better than Maya's indeed)

but I think NT will not just stay there and see , and that the price and power of Lw will be competitive as well, especially for the solo artist and small company.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Note that technical support and upgrades are not included in those base prices. Sounds like they're offloading extra copies prior killing that code stream. Not to say it wouldn't be interesting to get my hands on though.

I think it was to be expected. They couldn't hope to keep selling their product at the inflated price it was at. The whole industry for the most part has changed and price has been an issue. Competitors won't necessarily change their price just because someone else does it, at least not immediately. It's starting to catch up though on some of the higher priced apps as lower priced apps become more flexible and powerful. God help the rest of the industry if Lightwave ever became an integrated app with edge weighting, real time animation capabilities, and lightning fast rendering, that's all I have to say.

Agree. if ever lw will become like that, it will be a dark period for other apps.

Co-founder of

and just a note on this subject...discreet and 3dsmax have not changed it's price since 1996/1997 when max 1 came onto the market...it's always been £2695 plus vat...thay are the only vendor who has not dropped or changed pricing ever.

and they still shift quite a few seats of 3dsmax...

softimage is interesting at $800 or $1200 for the one with a single mental ray node...remember they shipped softimage free with xsi 1.0 as xsi was pretty poor in the first version and loads of stuff was still in DEV.

softimage would be interesting...but a cul de sac of an app in comparison to ligtwave or maya 5.0

if it had what you needed in it as it was then it's a good idea.

steve g
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

The price change of softimage product is just a temporary advertising campaign. I´m sure Avid and Softimage are not permanent changing their pricing policy within the next months. They spend more money on research than any other company, Alias included. They are young, ok not really , and need the money

I think it was to be expected. They couldn't hope to keep selling their product at the inflated price it was at.
    Actually, they are one of the only companies to make a profit (besides Maxon), so clearly their price was right.

Maybe for right now. But it won't last indefinately. Eventually, when it comes to a matter of features or who can do it just as good for half as much.....

Besides, Softimage can hardly be compared to Ligthwave at the moment as Softimage is hardly aimed towards the individual home user/hobbyist where Lightwave is.

Originally posted by hrgiger
    Softimage can hardly be compared to Ligthwave at the moment as Softimage is hardly aimed towards the individual home user/hobbyist where Lightwave is.
    I hope that is not true, that Lightwave is for the home hobbyist. It would be a foolish marketing move. Next we'll get a religious version.

A 3D app like Lightwave should be developed and marketed to the top end of town, to the professionals making content that we can all see at the movies, on TV, in print and in games.

Once it's known as the app the professionals use, those who aspire to make similar content will be attracted to it automatically.

It worries me to think that Newtek may be contemplating a downgrade of Lightwave's professional status.

Originally posted by Beamtracer, a GoldMember
    Next we'll get a religious version.
    And there is nothing wrong if Newtek wants to make a version set for the Religious market. But there is no need to discuss this topic as it has been beated to death on the Genesis thread.

A 3D app like Lightwave should be developed and marketed to the top end of town, to the professionals making content that we can all see at the movies, on TV, in print and in games.
    Last time I checked Newtek does market to the professionals that use it in TV, Film, and Print. Almost every major studio uses Lightwave somewhere in their production pipeline.

Once it's known as the app the professionals use, those who aspire to make similar content will be attracted to it automatically.
    This is all marketing and I have to agree with you here as Newtek does not seem to take an active role in getting the LW out there for people to see. Alias for instance excels at marketing their product. For instance I walk into the closest bookstore and I see maybe 3 books on LW, 5 on Max, and 10+ on Maya. Most of the books on Maya are published by Alias Press they have a book that covers everything from character, animation, basic, advanced stuff. The books are easy to open [and stay open when layed flat] usually have color photos to help show the important steps and not to confuse the user with bad greyscale images. And most importantly included on the CD is PLE of Maya. Newtek needs to start getting the DE of LW out there for people to use. Then again that is only my opinion and will most likely be argued to death of Newtek does not need to market their product any more than what they have done.

Oh and I should add it's great to see Wordware getting 20+ books out for Lightwave, but I wish they could make the books a little bit wider as the current books are to thin and hard to open, and are like reading a quick refrence guide to UNIX admistration [like the In a Nutshell Books from Orielly]

It worries me to think that Newtek may be contemplating a downgrade of Lightwave's professional status.
    I don't think they are downgrading it; just the Lack of mass marketing to get the product noticed by potential users and getting the LWDE shown largely on their website,
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

Well, of course marketing is very important to make a product noticeable.

you know, I think companies like Alias and Avid and Discrete are huge companies. the price of their apps was high, and into that price, marketing was comprised surely.

Now, we have Alias that went from a very high price for Maya to a 2000$ for complete edition, but the money earned with previous pricing allows tham to do a huge marketing about their product.
    the same is valid for Avid still now, with a marketing temporary advertising at a low price for XSI, tempting many users to make the move, and probably going in this line for the future.
    in fact, even if XSI is a very good app, its previous price was just inflated, really too high.

Nt mantains always the same good price for Lw, PC and Mac licence and unlimited rendering node, wich is the best for the single artist and the small company. upgrades, also are cheap and this is very good.

of course, I think a little more advertising should be good for Lw. but a huge advertising campaign costs a lot of money and this could have a great influence in pricing. now, I think that, if smth have to have some influence in pricing, its only research.

I also think that a a good thing to make better are the learning resources, wich are what a newbie user search and needs.

Proton here did a great job, but I think that in the future this could be also enhanced, especially with videos and DVD's wich I find to be a very good way to learn.
    A video stores much more information than a book, shows directly the way to work, and of course a cd or DVD can contain a rom part with PDF's scenes objects, images and other.

also, to make a good video, you just can use Camtasia, and grab your work on the screen in an efficient way, and so you loose no great time making it.

another interesting thing in a good app are the manuals.
    I had the occasion to see C4D's manuals for example, and they are very good indeed, with also a tutorials book.

So, for learning resources I think Nt too could go with a DVD series or smth like that. this will also allow to earn some more money, without going with an inflated price only because of huge advertising, while the manuals I hope they will be good for [8]. they just need some inflation for real!

Co-founder of

... that's all I have to say.
    God I hope so, that didn't make any sense what-so-ever.
    Last edited by chico; 11-11-2003 at 02:48 AM.
    [sig removed by moderator]

Well young LightWave hobbyists, perhaps we should do our homework before commenting about the price of competing 3D applications, it's not that hard to visit their website. XSI's current price is simply a temporary incentive until the end of december.

By the way, you can't honestly put LightWave into the hobbyist's basket, wings, rhino, strata studio perhaps, even Lego, but not LightWave, at least not yet.

To clarify things for our hobbyists, I think NewTek were really suggesting that they could provide a professional package like LightWave at a price that even nonprofessionals could afford.
    Will it backfire?

I think while they're visiting the competing 3D app site, our intrepid hobbyist's should take a quick glance down the lengthy feature list kindly provided. Really is a dead give away as to why XSI costs what it does.
    Most people refer to that as value for money, not an inflated price.

Actually, they are one of the only companies to make a profit (besides Maxon), so clearly their price was right.
    kinda interesting really. Where did you get the figures from EyesClosed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast