Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new tool to learn LightWave in-depth...What TinēGuides would you like to see?

A new tool to learn LightWave in-depth...What TinēGuides would you like to see?

We would like to make the LightWave community aware of a new training site - TreadVisual.com - that is focusing exclusively on LightWave 3D. TreadVisual.com is pioneering a new concept called TinēGuides, which are brief video tutorials that focus on one LightWave tool at a time and that will cost just cents each.

You can pick just the aspects of LightWave 3D you are interested in without spending a lot of money on an entire series of tutorials. If there is enough interest from the LightWave community, they will soon be available for immediate download.

But we really need your input on what features you would like to learn more about.
    If you fill out our survey, you will automatically get your name on the list for the first release at a considerably reduced rate. (Limited to the first 500 persons who submit the survey.)

TreadVisual.com Home Page
    Get On The List!

Good idea. Are you going to also allow a one-time fee (per month/year/etc.) for viewing of all vids?
    Last edited by GandB; 05-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Some of the details are still being worked out, but all of the video materials will be available for download for a considerable amount of time for users who purchase a TinēGuide(s). It certainly will be possible to provide users access to all available TinēGuides. We are staying flexible right now in hopes of accomodating the needs of the community as that becomes more clear. Thanks for you comments.
    Last edited by Treadvisual; 05-17-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Can experienced LW users submit short good quality video tutorials to you on how to use specific tools in LightWAVE to your growing library of training videos ?

In preparation for our first release of TinēGuides we are not currently accepting tutorial submissions from third parties. We would rather spare others the typical frustrations that come from getting something like this off the ground. However, stay tuned. More options may become available as we receive a positive response from the LightWave community. Feel free to provide additional information that you feel would be worth our consideration using the TreadVisual.com contact page.

And thanks for your interest!

Banned
    I can't download the free 'Ball Tool' video.
    Flashget has stopped on each of 3 separate attempts.
    Both Chrome and FireFox same result.

I've just downloaded a LightWave video from YouTube without problems -
    it's unlikely to be this end.
    Last edited by BokadCastle; 05-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Thank you for identifying this issue. We will take a look and try to identify the problem.

We also just tested the default download options for IE v10, Chrome v26, and FireFox v21 and did not experience any failures or errors. I'm sorry you are having difficulty. Do you know how far the download got before it failed (the file size for the Ball Tool guide is 38.5 MEG)? Are you using the default download options in each of these browsers, or is it going through a single download plugin tool?

Also, the video guides are in mp4 format, so it is possible that Flashget may have problems if it is trying to split the files and then reassemble them. If you have other details that may help us identify the cause, please let us know. So far we have not received any similar reports of failed downloads, but we will try to dig a little deeper if necessary.

Banned
    The percentage download differed each time.

I'll try again.

Banned
    Nup, failed again.
    Chrome (latest version) downloaded only 22MB and stopped.
    FlashGet got to 53.8% and stopped as before.

It needs to be tried by another forum member...anyone?

btw on your free downloads web-page - "Excersise a little more of that grey matter. "
    Excersise should be "Exercise".

Good luck.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Works fine here with Firefox on a Mac. However the audio could do with a little cleaning up/eq-ing. Are you using a built in PC mic? If so, I would suggest getting a lavalier style tie clip mic to reduce room acoustic effects.

This all looks great but I tried to access the video and it either doesn't seem to download or play. I'm using an iPad and getting the broken triangle icon. Please make your videos available for mobile devices, you're sure to increase your audience.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

I appreciate your comments above, and taking the time to notice some of the finer points. Here are my comments:

BokadCastle: It has been difficult for us to determine exactly why you are having a download problem. The only thing I can come up with so far is some sort of time-out issue, since it happens at different stages during the download. Where are you located geographically? I may be able to submit this as an issue to our hosting provider, perhaps something is timing out on their end with really long downloads. (Thank you for the spelling catch!...No excuses for us on that :-)

Pinkmouse: Thanks for your audio observations. What you say is definitely the case, we didn't use a lav or any special mic equipment on this first test guide - that will change for the first release of course.

Bobakabob: I appreciate your observation on running this on the iPad. Our first impression was that most users with LightWave would be running on a desktop and not using a mobile device to access the video content (iPAD of course will not download video material, just play it back if it is streamed). Of course we do describe a procedure for getting it on the iPad at the following link. But your comments are well taken. We will look into providing more support on the mobile side.

I noticed that the sample video was Lightwave 9.6, will this be geared to that version or 11.5?

Nice presentation though.
    http://doc3d.com

Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 4 core 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Intel i7 980x 3.33 GHz 6 core 16GB RAM Dual ATI Radeon 5850 Win 7 64

Thanks for the compliment. Regarding your question on the version to be used:

Since the TinēGuides are tool based, we are considering using v9.6 for tools that have not changed up until v11.5. For those that changed after v9.6, LightWave v11.5 will be the interface. We want these guides to be as version independent as possible, and hopefully not inadvertently ostracize users of older versions. But we hesitate to go gone final on that question until get more input.

The idea has been bounced around of using v11.5 exclusively, but in discovery mode. It may sound odd, but the whole idea is to "discover" unexplored features of LightWave that can build confidence in both beginners and round out the missing links for those very experienced. A huge issue with most people even considering 3D software is the lack of truly detailed and thorough training resources where they know that each feature will be demonstrated. Sort of like an in-person video reference manual. Even a person who is trying out the software will appreciate that kind of resource and perhaps make the difference in his decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast