Thread: AMD 8-core - slow?

AMD 8-core - slow?

Hey guys - I have a friend that just got a new AMD 4ghz single 8-core cpu, and it's way slower than it should be. I have a 4yr old Intel 2.8ghz dual quad-core, and it renders twice as fast as his. His does show all cores being used.

Anyone have experience with these cpu's? He's running Win7 and we're both using lw9.6. Thanks in advance -

I thought it was known for a while that the AMD 8-core wasn't spectacular. Also, having two quad-core processors would not be equivalent to a single 8-core. There's so many variables in your post lacking that i wouldn't even begin to narrow on possibilities.

there not true 8 core's....

they have 8 integer cores, but only 4 floating point cores....
    every 2 integer cores share a single floating point core

so if your rendering...using the floating point cores....you only running on 4

ShadowMystic - you must be surrounded by people who have cpu news delivered to their inbox every week - not everyone focuses on hardware so much.

Thanks m.d. - not great news :/ Kind of a ripoff if you ask me. "Buy our 8-core that's half as fast as a cpu from 2008". Jeez -

I usually look here before I buy a CPU. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I usually look here before I buy a CPU. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
    Actually I just found that same site, I've passed it to my friend. The amd "8-core" really is a friggin' 4-core. How do they get away with that crap?

But at the same time, don't you guys think that a late model 4ghz 4-core should be a bit closer to a 2.8ghz 8-core from 2008? Our test is showing it to be very close to half the speed.

Thanks for the help guys

Long-time waver
    You might also want to check out the Marbles 11.5 benchmark thread. @madno collected the render times into a handy spreadsheet:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1316809

Interesting... I have just made up a new PC with this chip. The first attempt had the chip running way too hot and crashing the PC. I purchased another FX8350 after communicating with AMD
    and they recommended a good cooler, which I got and now the PC is running fine and I have to say very fast, 4.3mghz per core. I did not know about the CPU structure though, being just four cores,
    but after porting from my old MAc running at 1.6mghz single core, it's a big difference and I'm now quite happy with the way it's running. When you think of the price difference between
    Intel and AMD I think it's worth the trade off on the core structure of this chip, and I hope that AMD continue with their innovation in this price range. Cheers

I guess it is even cheaper than a slower intel chip. You have to go back to an i5 just to get close to the price of the amd. But calling it an 8 core is still despicable.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I guess it is even cheaper than a slower intel chip. You have to go back to an i5 just to get close to the price of the amd. But calling it an 8 core is still despicable.
    Well, it's not that easy... the FPU actually does have two pipelines that can be used independently for 128bit (SSE-2) instructions, but they unify for 256bit (AVX).

Given that there is very little code that uses 256-bit instructions at the moment (certainly not LW), it's not that much of a loss.

However, the main problems are power use (and thus heat dissipation and noise) as well as the low IPC (instructions per clock) compared to Intel. I still hope AMD manage to up their ante soon, but it looks like they concentrate on different markets nowadays.

Cheers,
    Mike

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Ave View Post
    Developers have been patching around that for, well, almost decades now. It's relatively easy to do. Eyeon Fusion is an example of that.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Ave View Post
    Typical, asinine, big business behaviour.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)