Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Lightwave have a retopo plugin like this ?

Does Lightwave have a retopo plugin like this ?

Nope. 3dcoat is your most versatile and cheap tool for retopo and texture painting.

Yes...it's called 3D Coat.

Sorry, just kidding, but 3D Coat does work well with .lwo objects and there is a GoZ like system available, so it's kinda like doing retopo directly in LightWave.

But if you're looking for tools that actually work in Modeler, TrueArt has LightWave plug-ins that can do this sort of thing in their Modeling Pack. I haven't used the TrueArt retopo tool specifically yet but check it out at the TrueArt website or YouTube channel.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can actually use it right now. I'll write again after I've played with it a bit.

G.

Update: Actually, there are no videos on the YouTube channel for the Retopo tool but there is a lot more info about it on the TrueArt website.

even cheaper would be Blender

The LinePen tool in 11.5 will allow you to create polys snapped to the background object.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

A plugin like that huh. . . .Well first of all you'd have to be able to import millions of polys and then edit polygons on top of millions of polys in modeler. Good luck with that.

Try, 3DC, Modo or Topogun
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 05-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Short answer is NO but as Dodgy suggested you can try with Linepen tool which does snap to BG but it's much slower than in this video (since you need to click 3-4 times fro each Quad) but main problem could be polycount of BG layer which can slowdown speed considerably .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

You can try my video which shows a possible way to retopo in LW 11.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sFe7m5UTI
    www.draw-it.co.uk
    Freelance Illustration & Graphic Design

Free LightWave Tutorials: YouTube Channel

Blender is fairly decent and it's free. Topogun would be have the best cost to benefit ratio for a commercial retopology product ($99USD).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASUtWXIyFT0

I really like 3d Coat and it offers so much more than just good retopology tools.
    Gary Chike

no mention of ZBrush ?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    no mention of ZBrush ?
    Some people are ok with using zbrush Zspheres and the topo curve brush to retopo. I tend to get along better with more traditional polygon snapping tools like found in modo and 3dc. I find modo to be generally a faster workflow based on my modeling style.

As a side note: Zbrush dynamesh and Qremesher is extremely flexible for blocking out shapes however I rather start with a more complex shape that I modeled in a traditional poly program and use that as my so called primitive and convert it to a dynamesh. That doesn't mean I won't change the initial poly shape a lot with dynamesh, often times I do change the overall shape a lot if I happen to come up with a nicer interlocking between mesh pieces. Starting from a cube or sphere in zbrush is just not always practical for some subject matter.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

ZBrush is nice, but twice the price of 3DCoat... $700 vs $350

(+personally i like 3DC better...)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

ZBrush has QMesher, which looks pretty cool but apparently in Alpha at the moment. I haven't tried it yet--I mainly use ZB for hair/fur guides for FiberFX, and am not using it for complex meshes yet.

I've been using 3DC ever since the first beta release. It's very easy to learn and use, and I like it because it has always been LightWave aware and friendly. 3DC's retopo tools are top-notch, as are the UV mapping tools. (Although, I still rely on Headus UVLayout for most of my UV mapping.) 3DC is also fairly inexpensive for what you get in the package.

G.

erikals - why do you like 3DC better than Zbrush ? asking for learning... cuz i ll go for one of them for our new projects and i just cannot select one... I value your thoughts on that...

BTW, I played around with the TrueArt retopo tool last night. It's pretty neat to see this in Modeler. It's not as fully featured as what you can do with 3DC but if you need something like this immediately in Modeler, it's great to have. Using it is very easy--just draw your guides on top of your BG mesh and the plug-in will create new polygons that conform the the BG mesh as you enclose the shapes. When you draw dividing guides across the shapes, the plug-in will dynamically split the polygons.

I'm not sure how fast this is with really complex meshes but it is very interactive with the 'B2' cats. (Which, admittedly, are not very complex.)

G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast