Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: CNET: Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

Ah you have fusion. You probably don't need AE for comp and unless you do a lot of motiongraphics guess its redundant. Unfortunately even if adobe doesn't reverse their policy, doesn't make difference, most companies here use adobe for compositing and motiongraphics and need it to stay in business. Adobe is like the apple of graphics software.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Adobe is like the apple of graphics software.
    Oh come on, Apple's not that evil. They're only... uh... sorta evil. Evil Lite. The Diet Coke of Evil.

Its a religion

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    NT should be able up come up with a 2d app!

If you can create complex 3d programs which have to integrate with so much other stuff. A 2d program you should be able to spit out friday afternoon after a few drinks!
    I was thinking the same. They have the underlying structure plus it would already integrate with their 3D app. LW can handle image sequences, there are filters and tools for simple color
    correction, there is a graph editor. Matt would make a nice GUI for it.

And having a 2D painting app from Newtek would get us closer to having a nice texture painting tool directly in Lightwave...

5.5 is going to be my last version of the Adobe suite as well. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade, there will be some good alternatives (i.e. I actually like Vegas over premiere, but it's the lack of good compositing software in a reasonable price range that makes me a bit nervous)

The "cloud" isn't a bad thing, in fact, I work for a major software corporation that has several Cloud offerings. However, the difference is our cloud products are Enterprise business applications. Instead of a large corporation having to house their own app and database servers, let the company that made the software provide the application as a service - that way the db's and app's can be maintained in the most efficient manner by people who know what they are doing. Big savings for the customer in this situation.

However, for a desktop application or desktop suite, you don't have or need several servers and staff maintaining the application, so there is no benefit to the customer to go cloud. This is where Adobe is making a big mistake. The customer is was not considered with this move and it will cost them in licenses, which will be picked up by other companies committed to the customer. (Adobe might even be so arrogant as to think that their products are great enough that people have no other options. I'll give it some time before I upgrade again, maybe Hitfilm will be where I need it by then. )

-Shawn Moore

inside the beltway Riff_Masteroff's Avatar
    If Adobe, like many others, directly connects their cloud servers to US NSA (National Security Administration); are people here concerned that their work (images, videos, anything), all of it, goes to the US federal government? ? ? Matters not where you live. What if you are working under NDA? Read the newspapers (The Guardian and The Washington Post).

Quote Originally Posted by Riff_Masteroff View Post
    If Adobe, like many others, directly connects their cloud servers to US NSA (National Security Administration); are people here concerned that their work (images, videos, anything), all of it, goes to the US federal government? ? ? Matters not where you live. What if you are working under NDA? Read the newspapers (The Guardian and The Washington Post).
    Or financial information. Given the revelations about this govt. the past few days, there's no way I'm putting anything on the cloud. Ever.
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

I am not sure if it was mentioned here or not but for people looking for a painting and texture option, Mari is going to be having a 40 percent off sale coming up.

Everyone has been talking about the Gov spying on them lately.

Just wondering if people look at the permissions you give to
    Apps when you download them from the App Store.

Gov can subpoena Docs from private companies if it is deemed
    a matter of national security.

Talk about rights being taken away, what about the ones people
    are freely giving away.

When I met my good old friend Christophe Desse aka Xtrm3D in the Park yesterday, he mentioned two graphics applications I didn't know yet which may be interesting to you guys with some serious painting skills:

http://www.madewithmischief.com/
    Mischief (cool name ;-) ) is a very fast and fluid vector painting application with basically unlimited zoom capabilities. No bells and whistles, but looks solid and pretty amazing anyway. 129.-$

http://www.bleank.com/BlackInk-a115.html
    Black Ink is a pixel based painting app with a new concept about how you can customize brushes. You can add a multitude of nodes to every property of you brush, which allows for a depth of customization I haven't seen anywhere else yet. It's in beta and can be had for 24,99 € for a lifetime license, but be sure to read the fine print, since it's a bit odd: you can authorize on up to 2 machines but they say you can't move licenses, so after you used both licenses they want you to buy new ones for new machines. ATM it's cheap enough to go with this, but one can only hope that things will get more flexible when they release, otherwise the software has a kind of inbuilt "best before"... ;-)

Since we were collecting alternative apps:

I also like ArtRage http://www.artrage.com/artrage-studio.html for natural and not-so-natural painting and the free Autodesk Sketch Book Copic Edition: http://copic.jp/en/sketchbook-ce.html

So at least the sketching, painting and pre-viz part of Photoshop and Illustrator are covered.
    For this kind of work, I think a smaller and more to-the-point-app may be more fitting than those monsters anyway ;-)

It's good to see more new fresh concepts coming up!

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    Everyone has been talking about the Gov spying on them lately.

Just wondering if people look at the permissions you give to
    Apps when you download them from the App Store.

Gov can subpoena Docs from private companies if it is deemed
    a matter of national security.

Talk about rights being taken away, what about the ones people
    are freely giving away.
    "The 'authorities' who watch over our privacy need to defend not only those who wish to be defended but also those who no longer know how to defend themselves. It’s a vicious circle. The assault on privacy accustoms everyone to the disappearance of privacy. Little by little we become exhibitionists, having learned that nothing can be kept confidential anymore and that no behaviour is considered scandalous. Those who are attacking our privacy, seeing that the victims themselves consent, will no longer stop at any violation."
    Umberto Eco: Speech in Venice, 2000AD

"You will see nothing that’s certain, but lots of action; plenty of defects, little that’s pretty, and nothing of any worth." GB 1582

inside the beltway Riff_Masteroff's Avatar
    I also receive the printed version of The Financial Times newspaper. Its thrown on my sidewalk daily (except Sunday).
    Quotes out-of-context from Saturday (06/15). From the "Analysis" FT section:

- "Neelie Kroes, the EU's commissioner for digital affairs, says the furore (US NSA spying) represents a golden opportunity for European companies to make inroads in the CLOUD COMPUTING market, which is dominated by companies such as Google and Amazon."
    - " . . . by confirming worries about the extent of US intelligence operations, the disclosures could prompt the regulators to act . . . "
    - "Comprehensive and well-enforced privacy legislation would give Europe a global advantage in the booming CLOUD COMPUTING market"
    - "We want Europe to be seen as the safest corner of the internet and for entrepenuers to be able to build on businesses off the back of that"
    - "Far from being seen as the guardian of a free and open online medium, the US has been painted as the oppressor."
    - "This dragnet surveillance of non-Americans is just what Europe feared as a theoretical matter. It's no longer theoretical"

Alfred E Neumann (Mad Magazine, circa the 1950's): "What me worry?"

31 pages and still moaning, CC updates today can't wait to download but work comes first. Point one, I'm nearly sixty and can remember when you had to design the hard way – on paper with a squeaker pen and without a computer and materials often cost me the equivalent or more than what Adobe are asking a month for subscription. Point two, if you can't go out and earn the fifty dollars or so per month to get CC then I think it's high time you considered throwing in the towel and pursued some form of work that was more fitted to your skill level

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    31 pages and still moaning, CC updates today can't wait to download but work comes first. Point one, I'm nearly sixty and can remember when you had to design the hard way – on paper with a squeaker pen and without a computer and materials often cost me the equivalent or more than what Adobe are asking a month for subscription. Point two, if you can't go out and earn the fifty dollars or so per month to get CC then I think it's high time you considered throwing in the towel and pursued some form of work that was more fitted to your skill level
    Why don't you email them and tell them they may as well charge 100, eh, why not 200 dollars a month. Are you really so happy to shell out more money when you're not getting anymore for it? They've been gouging people too long already.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast