Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: CNET: Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

It's all about money.Do the math.In my case it would have cost me 15,000 dollars over x number of years.

What did I spend? About a third of that and I have cs6 which is fully capable of lasting a good long time.
    It's a total ripoff and a blatant up yours to their users.
    People who rent and lease don't come out ahead 90% of the time tax wise.
    You simply increase the monthly pressure on yourself with an endless stream of monthly bills.

I just got an old license for Lightwave 9.6 Mac on sale. It's a good version for me with my crap computer
    plus I have Electricmage version 8 which works great with it.
    I own it. I can take my time and learn it and eventually upgrade when I have more dough and a better machine.
    When I upgrade I can be up and running because I will know how to use most of it.
    Lightwave is doing it right.Cinema 4d a little less so with their 4 different versions.But still you can own it.
    Autodesk for example has a near monopoly with 3 products and quickly jacked up the prices on all of them.
    Adobe will do the same.It's not a good deal for anybody.If no one buys in they will have to forget it.
    Certainly an opportunity for Corel or deneba with canvas to maybe pickup some customers.

Quote Originally Posted by ck96 View Post
    It's all about money.Do the math.In my case it would have cost me 15,000 dollars over x number of years.
    Exactly!

One can't only look at a bit software in isolation. Over the years one needs to look at their computer/s, cameras, printers & work related expenses. It is similar to people saying that a CPU is too expensive & not look at the whole box.

My previous colour laser printer latest for 10 years (it still printed on heavy paper), although expensive at the time was very economical in the long run. Same thing for my current printer, I bought it when I had spare cash & hopefully I will get 10 years out of it.

Current camera is over 4 years old, hopefully it will last another 5 years. It has enough pixels! Most of my software is prehistoric. Lightwave is one of the luxuries I give myself & these days it has a good price.

If I rented all the stuff I have I would have had to earn a stack more money. If I need a super wide angle lens for a job, I own it, just grab it anytime to take pictures. Ok, a lot of my stuff is a bit old but I don't have to fork out money in quiet times. If I need a piece of equipment for a job I would just buy it tomorrow!

One area of renting I really like! Income coming in every week! It's a fantastic system when you are the one on the right side of the fence!
    Last edited by JonW; 06-23-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

I think someone else here said it best: "I don't rent my paintbrush."

I'll rent services with no problem, but tools I need to own. Especially in the case of software where sometimes it's necessary to maintain a specific version of that tool. As a software developer I know how much work goes into building these programs, and renting them out looks beautiful from a business drone's perspective -- but from the user of those tools there's no way in hell I'll "rent" the privileged of using them.

If this business model catches on, just imagine what it will be like when Microsoft and Apple decide to rent out operating systems instead of selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    I think someone else here said it best: "I don't rent my paintbrush."
    They did!

& I don't either! I've got over a dozen Winsor & Newton paint brushes, cost an arm & a leg (maybe 2). Had them that long they are the most economical brushes I have & a pleasure to use.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Microsoft does this already . Microsoft Azure is a beautiful example as is Office 365.

The main difference is that Microsoft offers both rent and sale, which is the best of both worlds if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Well, for those who are still convinced Adobe went CC to prevent piracy, here's shattering that flawed argument:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575...ready-pirated/
    The web is such an untame beast.

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    Microsoft does this already . Microsoft Azure is a beautiful example as is Office 365.

The main difference is that Microsoft offers both rent and sale, which is the best of both worlds if you ask me.
    For those of us angry at this situation, that is pretty much all we want. If they offered both, I would not be a ranting lunatic.

Adobe will eventually sell boxed versions with updates, just without the broad "suite concept." It makes more sense not to have to coordinate their "major advances" to a cycle, as they leave many of their products languishing in the glory of their past.

Selling the rental suite and boxed copies will give them the best of both worlds.
    http://doc3d.com

Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 4 core 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Intel i7 980x 3.33 GHz 6 core 16GB RAM Dual ATI Radeon 5850 Win 7 64

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334