Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CNET: Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

If customers so overwhelming prefer this, you'd think it would be easier to find a single freaking person who prefers this in the real world. We've been talking about hits all day at the studio and we still haven't managed to find that single individual who prefers this system.

This was posted on cgtalk

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=59&t=1105888

Here is a reply from adobe:
    "just noticed this post and wanted to clarify and correct some of the conclusions it draws.
    We are not discontinuing Creative Suite. We are phasing out shrink wrapped boxed copies. This is covered in the Creative Suite FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...de-eligibility

Why is Adobe discontinuing boxed copies of Creative Suite?

As Adobe continues to focus on delivering world-class innovation through Creative Cloud and digital fulfillment, we will be phasing out shrink-wrapped, boxed versions of Creative Suite. Electronic downloads for Creative Suite products will continue to be available – as they are today – from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners.

Note that electronic downloads of Creative Suite are still available (both via direct purchase from Adobe.com and reseller and retail partners, and via Creative Cloud).

I hope that helps clarify the information…

Thanks…

mike chambers

[email protected]"

http://blog.softwaremedia.com/2013/...creative-suite/

Focus groups usually have a predetermined goal anyway. Questions are often yes or no, like "do you like this feature?", rather than asking what features you would like.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    This was posted on cgtalk

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=59&t=1105888

Here is a reply from adobe:
    "just noticed this post and wanted to clarify and correct some of the conclusions it draws.
    We are not discontinuing Creative Suite. We are phasing out shrink wrapped boxed copies. This is covered in the Creative Suite FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...de-eligibility

Why is Adobe discontinuing boxed copies of Creative Suite?

As Adobe continues to focus on delivering world-class innovation through Creative Cloud and digital fulfillment, we will be phasing out shrink-wrapped, boxed versions of Creative Suite. Electronic downloads for Creative Suite products will continue to be available – as they are today – from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners.

Note that electronic downloads of Creative Suite are still available (both via direct purchase from Adobe.com and reseller and retail partners, and via Creative Cloud).

I hope that helps clarify the information…

Thanks…

mike chambers

[email protected]"

http://blog.softwaremedia.com/2013/...creative-suite/
    This is erroneous. They are indeed discontinuing CS - there are no more licenses other than CC licenses now. They will continue to sell CS6 licenses for a short while, but there is no CS7 - subscription only from now on. Offline corporate volume licensing is unclear at this point. Adobe may even break CS6 functionality with patches soon, requiring internet connection to function. Who cares about boxed products anyways, that is a red herring to distract until the blowback dies down. And it is not the price of the software either that is the problem. I'd venture to say that most people in this forum who own the suite say the one-off expenditure more than pays for itself in the projects we do. It is the principle of *requiring* subscription, being beholden to their/amazon servers/security/uptime/etc that irks me. I'm very happy for them to raise the price a few hundred and keep it offline-able... I want to be in charge of paying them, I don't want an automatic credit card payment no matter how small it *currently* is. I don't need the admin headache.

I'm wrong, they've already stopped the individual licenses. I thought there would be a transition period. But every single upgrade link in their store goes to Creative Cloud now. Can't find an upgrade or full purchase page on their store at the moment.

it's the future, embrace it.

me? nope not doing that, had enough 'love' for subscription model with 3dsmax thanks.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    a dystopian future.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post

me? nope not doing that, had enough 'love' for subscription model with 3dsmax thanks.
    It is.

AD and Otoy demoing 3dmax and Octane renderer on html 5. Really cool!

Rendering isn't a fair comparison. Besides - we all know that all real professionals use touchpads to do 3D work.

Witty remark goes here. TheDynamo's Avatar

Saw this writing on the wall quite a ways ago

I've been a cloud subscriber for almost a year now since it started and it's been pretty good. You have the application on your computer and adobe checks once a month to see if you're paid up and things keep on keepin on. I've heard if you have connection issues on the day that Adobe checks they give you a few days "grace period" to re-connect to the internet. Considering I make most of my funds from Adobe apps (sorry, not much call for Lightwave yet) the monthly $50 fee before tax can easily be paid for by one project. It's not ideal for some folks, I can see that but for a freelance professional like myself it's not too bad. You can also go month to month if you wish for those times you have infrequent work although I hear that can be near double the price.

-Rob
    ====================
    Houghton Media LLC
    Motion Graphic Design/Animation
    www.houghtonmedia.com

except it's £48 a month in u.k. that's to convert $75

and this is day 1...wait until you renew in summer 2014...or 2015.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Serling View Post
    Yeah, forget Corel, too...they're cloud based as well. When Photoshop CS3 stops working for me, I'll go GIMP.
    When did this happen?

AFAIK, you can still buy boxed versions of all Corel products.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    Rendering isn't a fair comparison. Besides - we all know that all real professionals use touchpads to do 3D work.
    3dmax itself was running fast on the cloud not just Octane renderer. What are real professionals?
    You can connect a kb and mouse and output to hdmi and you have a desktop using an android tablet.
    Can't wait to try this 3dmax version on an android.

Doing the math. 50usd a month like adobe = 600usd a year. Not bad considering th lifecycle of 2 years.
    A license plus subscription like the old way is more than 6k usd which I could never justify a personal license. Im not independently rich like some artist using 3dmax with their personal license. I will try the AD cloud.
    Last edited by geo_n; 05-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    3dmax itself was running fast on the cloud not just Octane renderer. What are real professionals?
    You can connect a kb and mouse and output to hdmi and you have a desktop using an android tablet.
    Can't wait to try this 3dmax version on an android.

Doing the math. 50usd a month like adobe = 600usd a year. Not bad considering th lifecycle of 2 years.
    A license plus subscription like the old way is more than 6k usd which I could never justify a personal license. Im not independently rich like some artist using 3dmax with their personal license. I will try the AD cloud.
    I was kidding about the real professional thing. I was mostly joking about how clumsy I would be attempting to do 3D work on a laptop touch pad without a mouse, intuos tablet & spacepilot...

And if you think that is a good deal for you ~$600/yr then great. It is not for me. I'd rather pay $2500 up front (or whatever) for the collection and have it, not have to rely on AWS, worry about security, deal with the admin of managing a subscription and making sure they don't double charge you and all that paperwork, and be beholden to them online. So this pricing model works for you, why impose it on me and other customers who it doesn't work for. The past year has been fine with both working in tandem - you get your "deal", I get mine. Everybody wins like that. I can justify the one-off purchases.

With a subscription model there is no incentive for them to improve the software. "Continuous updates" as opposed to the cycle? That doesn't hold water - they could update now via Adobe Updater if they wanted to as often as they like. And talk to me about the deal you are getting when they raise prices next year.

I have one more thing to say about this CC subscription model only and then I'll shut up about it:

Im not imposing it on you. I posted a video about 3dmax and octane renderer on a cloud which looks cool and in a few years might be the norm.
    There are people who are cool with the cloud. D

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast