Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why Windows 8 sucks.

About to order a new 64 bit workstation soon for LW and Zbrush. Was going to go for Win8 but from reading this forum it sounds like er, a bad idea.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Win 8 is an awesome OS. I can't imagine what people are talking about. I was happy with the current WIn8 then 8.1 Preview came out so I'm running that and even more happy. I can't wait for the official release.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

I would stay away from windows 8 as long as possible, but then again ..thatīs only from what Ive heard and not first hand experience like those from Philbert...for me, general research around how it works and the rumour feedback outways those few saying it is awesome.

Michael

I'd suggest going to a store like Best Buy and playing with it on a computer there. Using both mouse and touch screen. If you talk to actual users there are hardly a "few" who like it. Most of those who dislike it haven't actually used it. Or have used it for a few minutes and said it's horrible before giving it a fair chance. I will admit it took me a day or so to get used to how things work now, but once I did it's a lot faster and easier to access things. Not to mention the OS is faster in general and more secure. For example my boot time is now like 20 seconds when Win7 took well over a minute. Of course I'm on a 6 year old PC.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Internally, it's fairly stable as far as OS's go, but you still have to do the "find the 800 incredibly obscure and hidden settings to get basic functionality up and running correcty" stage. I spent an entire day getting my new laptop to work they way it should have out-of-the-box. My biggest gripe with Windows 8 is the UI design and location of functionality and settings. I have to constantly google to find out where a lot of the settings are, which is ridiculous. On Mac OS X, if I don't know where a setting or command is I can usually find it on my own very quickly -- it's pretty consistent and very intuitive.

Windows 8 feels like it was designed by a bunch of bickering committees that all hated each other.

There is one feature of Window 8 that I like: from that starting "panes" thingy you're greeted with (including adverts! friggin' ADVERTS! ARHG!!), if you start typing, Windows 8 will immediatly start searching your local machine for programs and documents. That's pretty slick.

I will be using windows 7 till the end of days. I don't care if windows 8 is faster, more secure or anything else. I haven't got the time to mess around with learning a new OS. I also couldn't get the Win 8 consumer preview to work at all, either dual boot or a virtual box. The preview even tried to take over my entire OS when I tried to dual boot it. I also don't want to become an app store junkie adjunct. If I wanted that I would become an apple head. The only point behind Windows is to put you in front of an apps store to get more money from you. That's it. All else is a useful byproduct. I don't want to be an appie, app trendy yuppie app slave. I want to be me. I want to be free. I will not sell my soul to Microsoft. Begone evil app store. Go. May you be banished to the depths of Hades.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I'd suggest going to a store like Best Buy and playing with it on a computer there. Using both mouse and touch screen. If you talk to actual users there are hardly a "few" who like it. Most of those who dislike it haven't actually used it. Or have used it for a few minutes and said it's horrible before giving it a fair chance. I will admit it took me a day or so to get used to how things work now, but once I did it's a lot faster and easier to access things. Not to mention the OS is faster in general and more secure. For example my boot time is now like 20 seconds when Win7 took well over a minute. Of course I'm on a 6 year old PC.
    I have been using it for a long time on desktop and old laptop. My issue is with using it as a touch os. As a desktop os its fine except for the wacom issues which could be random.
    As a touch os its just a gimmick for hipsters in coffee shops. My new touch enabled laptop is useless when using typical appz for windows.
    Its funny how I only use the metro menu with touch and have to use a mouse for everything else. The touch feature is there so I use it just for the sake of it. But no way you can use a windows 8 os and its appz without a mouse unlike IOS and Android which is great for touch experience.

You will only realise how it sucks for touch when you use it on a daily basis. There's too many basic issues with most typical win 8 appz. Try resizing an app window using touch. Lol.

Microsoft Surface is on big sale. Its probably because its not doing well and they're getting rid of that expensive crap.

I started with MS-DOS 2.1. I have used (on a regular basis or as a primary operating system) MS-Dos 2.1 - 4.0, MS Windows 2.something, 3.0, 3.1, NT, 95, 98, ME, 2000 server, Vista, 7, 8, Mac OS 7, 9, 10.1-10.8, and about a zillion different distributions of Linux starting in 1995 and used as a primary OS on at least one machine until 2007.

So I'd hardly say I'm biased or "trendy". User-interface-wise, OS X still blows the rest out of the water at this point in time. Mac OS 9 was crufty and buggy. Windows Vista was a trainwreck, 7 is usable but highly cluttered in that over-engineered-but-not-designed Microsoft fashion, and Windows 8 is just a catastrophe in almost every way you can interact with it. If you "like" Windows 8, it's because you've never fully used a better OS and don't understand just how much time and mental frustration you save by using something with a clean design. I'm backing this up with a lifetime of using all these different operating systems starting back when I was in the 3rd grade.

I am to understand that, yes the Surface units will be having some rather "clear the shelf" sales going on, and that there will not be any new production runs done with them. Not that Microsoft is getting out of the tablet field, just that they are going to "rethink" their approach.
    So if you like them touch screens - prices are a dropping.

Yep big price drops for Surface.
    I was tempted but bought the asus vivo since its half price(on discount) with nearly the same specs.
    They have to abandon windows desktop appz and start from scratch with new apps designed for touch. Problem is windows is 99.9% legacy appz. They're trying to do it with windows RT but its not clicking.

Jrandom, I appreciate your extent of experience with different computer systems. I'd like to say some things that I was going to start a new thread about.

I left school knowing nothing about computers in the early 1990's. The first computer that I had was in 1993. It was an Apple with Clarisworks. I liked it. But I had to change to Windows in 1995 because in those days apples lacked the Co-Processor that was needed to number crunch. Maths software was also written only for Windows. I had to use a maths DOS micro-program that came with the Anderrsen, Sweeney and Williams book "introduction to management science". So with reluctance I left the apple world and have been in Windows ever since.

Now I am trying to help a person in his 60's use a computer. He uses Windows 7. He was not brought up with computers. He cannot grasp the concept that if a document is minimised that it hasn't vanished. He often by accident minimises his document and then panics about it having "gone". Each time he phones me up and I have to come to his house and restore the document. He is acting intelligently. He's spent his whole life with things that vanish if you can't see them any more. To him that is normal. So to me it's not him; it's the fault of the computer architecture/OS. It should cater for him. What about say a function that brings the document to his notice when it's minimised?

So what is windows 8 doing for him? Nothing! And take the start button from him? Sweet Jesus. He would literally chuck the computer out the window.

I see nothing of any value for him in Windows 8. App store? He can't surf the net. Apps are no use to him.
    Last edited by saranine; 08-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.

I think Windows 8's biggest failing is it's sheer inconsistency in the design. Want to execute some simple command or find a simple thing? Well now, it could be in the menu, or a button on the title bar, or a button in one of the ribbons accessed by things that look like menus, the app menu, the right-click menu on the file explorer window, possibly the screen's right-click menu, the system tray, or buried somewhere deep in the control panel. Is it a device? Or maybe hardware! That's right, devices and hardware expose completely different sets of functionality! Or maybe you need to mouse over to the upper/lower left side of the screen for that pop-out toolbar. On the right side you have a completely different pop-out toolbar. Or maybe the primary bottom app bar. Or maybe the tiled "Start" screen, which is a mess of "where is that one tile I'm looking for". Oh hey, the screen kinda scrolls, but you'd never know that unless you accidentally moved the mouse over to the edge of the screen.

This might actually work except there's no consistency. Things are flung into the far corners of Windows willy-nilly. The only way to know where things are is to memorize quite literally dozens and dozens of arbitrary placements. There's hardly any rhyme or reason to where things are -- the level of failure of design is staggering. I am extremely computer literate, being a part of the first generation to grow up with computing devices, and I am constantly fighting with this OS just to do regular everyday tasks.

So I'm boggled by people who step up to Windows 8's defense. As best I can tell, they're enemy propaganda droids from the Evil Future sent back to wreak some kind of bizarre and horrible practical joke on the human race, because no other explanation makes any kind of rational sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    ...So I'm boggled by people who step up to Windows 8's defense. As best I can tell, they're enemy propaganda droids from the Evil Future sent back to wreak some kind of bizarre and horrible practical joke on the human race, because no other explanation makes any kind of rational sense.
    Boggled and Googled am I. Not to mention how about every fourth boot, it doesn't recognize who I am until I restart.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Sometimes it decides not to route sound through my HDTV. I can only run fullscreen apps on the "primary" screen (in this case, the TV), but as soon as I switch to a program on the local laptop monitor, the fullscreen app minimizes. Why? Who wrote this thing??

75% of large companies are still on Win XP. A tech article I read said that the Win 8 RT is DOA. I personally think it is atrocious, it makes you work two to three times as hard to do the same things you could on Win 7. In fact there is no reason whatsoever to upgrade, in fact it is recommended to downgrade to Win 7 if you get a computer with it on it. Unless you just want to do social media, do not get Win 8 at all. That said, they did actually make some improvements with the new 8.1 release, which will help the afflicted v8 owners. I would still get Win 7 for any new computer you get.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast