Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why Windows 8 sucks.

This is why Windows 8 sucks.

Microsoft does stupid stuff like Windows 8 to condition us for our suffering in hell.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Blog Entries
    lol yeah i like win 8 , only because i'm used of using Android widgets . But on that note WIN 8 isn't as customizable as android and win 8 hides a lot of things with out any notification. http://www.stardock.com/products/?from=nav
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

inside the beltway Riff_Masteroff's Avatar
    MS Win8 OS has been 'accused' of playing a major role in driving down the sales of PC's in general ( in favor of iPhones and such). Not my words, but I did read it either in the Washington Post newspaper or the Financial Times newspaper. I had thoughts to clip the articles (multiple) for future reference, but I did not.

Blog Entries
    yeah that's not true. i mean really, i read those articles some say Android some Apple . This why Microsoft made WIN8 RT. in hopes of getting into mobile OS. Even thought they already have a mobile OS. From what i read at the winsupersite , it was a given that business where not going to upgrade . you have have remembered Large/small business rarely upgrade OS , let alone PC. PC/desktops are like cars we tend to keep them around as long as you can get them to boot. Microsoft should have better branded what win 8 rt and win8 pro where about.

This win 8 affects the powers more then the basic user/stranded user.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

win 8 is getting a update soon to bring back the start button, and i'm not joking.

microsoft should have just used windows phone for RT on the surface and kept window 8 separate for the surface pro etc
    most of what people want to do thesedays can be done on a hand held computer (phone or tablet)
    most just want to surf the web, check email and facebook and look at youtube
    ...you don't need a desktop pc to do that thesedays.

pc sales are going to shrink by a large margin an really only going to be used for productive work from now on.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I am having real problems with Win8, programs stall, I have to click the close X, then wait for a try and restore dialog box, click yes, then it starts again.

I am going to buy Win7.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

No problems here with Win8 Pro. It's fast, responsive and light compared to Win Vista/7. The 'service pack' will bring back the start button and some other goodies.
    For those in trouble finding stuff, use Win key + x for a semy startbar and Win key + i for fast right panel access.

from what I've read (about 6 different articles now) when Windows 8.1 brings the start button back it's not going to be the 'good old one'. It will sit in the corner and look like a glowing blue ball with the new windows logo on it. But when you click on it it takes you to the 'Metro' start screen just like 8.0 does now.

I installed 8 on one of my work laptops when the beta got more polished. While there are some GREAT things in windows 8 the bad things stand inbetween you from the first boot. Like a purple wall of despair with tiles. To me there are only three things that bother me about Windows 8. But they are the big things

1 - Not being able to boot to desktop annoyed me (supposed to be an option in 8.1), This is where I do 90% of my computer work why drop me off two blocks away and make me walk! (insert Metro joke here).

2 - The Start Screen. To me the title explains the problem. It's a complete screen. The start button is a small out of the way icon. The start menu also is kind of out of the way. I could still see my desktop while accessing. Now I get thrown into some purple monstrosity that takes up my whole 27" display with ugliness+. When I install a regular windows program now it adds all the installed files to this screen as well. So I have to go and do clean up.

3 - The Easter Egg interface. From a UIX view the fastest way to get a user to interact with any interface is to actually SHOW them their options. The 'hunting to find them' approach is without a doubt the stupidest thing I've seen MS do in ages.

I rather like the way Apple keeps OS X and IOS separate but similar and I really wish MS had gone for something similar. Forcing this square-purple-pill down peoples throat so fast just annoys them. There is a difference between an APP and an application.
    -Light is an optical illusion-
    CPU:2x E5-2687W (2x 8 cores + HT = 32 threads @ 3.2GHz) MOBO:ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS RAM:64gb HD:Revo 3 x2, 240 OCZ SSD, 4TB WD BLACK

Wait 'til you try to install an unsigned driver. Used to be that there was an option to just opt to go ahead anyway. Now, you get the hand to talk to and it aborts. Period. Only way around it is to either do an Advanced Startup and go through 3 reboots to get to the option to disable "Enforced Driver Signature Enforcement" or just nuke the thing from orbit by running two command line operations with bcdedit to disable it permanently.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

And those lines would be...

Ignoring Metro, I am finding 8 a joy over xp.

lol

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    If Windows 8 is stalling PC sales (as well as the Dell debacle) does that mean the price of a new PC/parts will go down? I've seen some insane deals lately (2 TB internal drives for ~ $100) so I'm hoping the prices continue to fall.

the price of pc's is due to rise in the future as reduced volume means higher component costs.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

It will be in 2 steps. First cheaper because of overstock, later more expensive because of no stock for newer components . Basic economics.

One of the biggest problem with Win8, now it takes more clicks to do what you want than Win 7 did. Even though Win8 is slightly faster, this stupidity makes it actually slower to use.

The driver issue is another major problem. Microsoft charges an arm and a leg to get driver s signed. As mentioned, now everyone must get cleared or they just won't load. This is just for Microsoft, it gates a revenue stream that was being ignored by a large number of vendors.

Microsoft has blundered so many times now, people are getting fed up and as pointed out, it is less relevant than it was just four years ago. Pressures on, hence yet another Windows "upgrade" (revenue enhancement) on the way.

Right now, tablets are far less able to swap parts out, attach peripherals and run mainstream full blown applications, but I see that changing in the future. Notice that some tablets allow you to attach to a full blown keyboard which will provide real estate for other addons and ports. this is heading back to a typical laptop style configuration in the end.

I agree, the vast majority of users have no real need for a full blown PC. As tablets get more popular they will be glad to reclaim the lost space given up to the hulking great computer sitting there.

As regards Windows 8, I doubt I'll use a Windows product again after the version I'm currently on (Win 7)

Come on Newtek, get Lightwave onto Linux and make for a simpler life for your users
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast