Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: This is why Windows 8 sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    But isnīt it easy just to turn off the touch screen and make it work as usuall with mouse? if it isnīt ..I would call it a disaster.
    I mean the premise of the touch screen in the same orientation as a typical PC setup does not work well ergonomically. Imagine typing that way.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I mean the premise of the touch screen in the same orientation as a typical PC setup does not work well ergonomically. Imagine typing that way.
    Agreed. But it probably sells computers at Best Buy. :-/

Touch screen is for people who don't want to work very hard with their majical viewing windows. So typing is out anyway.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I don't like how the user's hands are actually in the way of your view with the touch screen either, the cursor doesn't obscure my view of the workspace. Let's see, what else don't I like? Oh, all the screaming, bad smell and sparks in the middle of the night. I am sure its Win8.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    I hate the Metro startup screen. So, a spacebar press, enter my password and simple Windows key to go to the desktop and get 'rid' of Metro. I heard Win8.1 will let you boot in 'Desktop' right from the start.
    An interesting thing has begun happening with my 32-bit. At WinStart, let the Metro screen sit there for about 10 seconds and it disappears to the desktop all on its own. I have Classic Start Menu installed, which brings back Win7 and earlier features that we all have grown accustomed to over so many years. It has a check box to Skip Metro Screen but it is off, always has been.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    But isnīt it easy just to turn off the touch screen and make it work as usuall with mouse? if it isnīt ..I would call it a disaster.
    It is and now I just completely ignore my laptops touch screen. But if you did that then windows 8 with its cool touch metro feature becomes superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    This problem is what killed the original touchscreen computer designs twenty years ago, and saw the rise of the term "gorilla arms" (which is what you'd need to be able to use such a system). For some reason nobody went with the obvious solution of having touchscreen laying horizontal and so they never caught on until touchscreen phones and tablets hit big.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    This problem is what killed the original touchscreen computer designs twenty years ago, and saw the rise of the term "gorilla arms" (which is what you'd need to be able to use such a system). For some reason nobody went with the obvious solution of having touchscreen laying horizontal and so they never caught on until touchscreen phones and tablets hit big.
    Even the original Star Trek had similar panels slanted at a comfortable angle.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    I may be strange, (well, I am a mac user ), but I just don't get the idea of touch in a desktop environment. Why on earth would I want to get greasy fingermarks all over my nicely calibrated monitors?
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

^^ agreed.

But, the idea of live 'tiles' is certainly not bad. I use it in my ERP after login. The users can see the most used modules in a structures tile way, with interesting info on them. Although that part can be used with touch, everything is easy accessible with the mouse like it should be for a desktop app.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    I may be strange, (well, I am a mac user ), but I just don't get the idea of touch in a desktop environment. Why on earth would I want to get greasy fingermarks all over my nicely calibrated monitors?
    Wonder how many mac users would pay the premium for a touch screen macpro or air? Will apple even offer it soon? I have no doubt basic interaction with older appz would be annoying with touch screens.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Wonder how many mac users would pay the premium for a touch screen macpro or air? Will apple even offer it soon? I have no doubt basic interaction with older appz would be annoying with touch screens.
    I wouldn't. Touchscreen is great for tablets and smaller, but a regular laptop? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    That's why it's great to have a choice. A mouse still works just as well, even better, than it did with Win7.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Agree on the touching my normally pristine monitors with oily fingers as being a dumb assumption, but people who calibrate their monitors aren't the segment of the market they're looking at with touch.

Where they really screwed the pooch is the Start screen with tiles that are not sizable to how you want your system to look and function. being able to drop the tile size to 80% or less, merely by narrowing the padding around the actual icon, and sneak the whole grid up the screen just a tiny bit and you can easily fit more rows in. No way to create a hierarchy of tiles. Tiles that expand to reveal tiles within them is something that never crossed their minds. I know that many people just accept where Windows puts start menu shortcuts when it installs an application and it grows into a multi-sub-column mess about 100 icons long. I go through quite a bit of reorganization with the standard start menu to group shortcuts where they make the most sense; drastically shrinking the length and number of submenus that I have to wade through to get to what I want. Seems that near zero user research was done on this. With the addition of Classic Start Menu, I get this functionality back or I'd be climbing the walls.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

For this I use a DOpus Toolbar docked at the bottom. No matter what Windows Version, it will behave and organize the way I want it to, have the icons I like at the size I want. Submenu's in the way I see fit .

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast