Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why Windows 8 sucks.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Windows 8 feels like it was designed by a bunch of bickering committees that all hated each other.
    If YOU worked at M$ wouldn't you be filled with hate? --Seriously, I have never heard anything good about it, and subcontracting for them is just as miserable.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I'm wondering why so many people have problems with Windows.
    I used following OS's without any problems Win2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. All in 64-bit.
    Software on those machines: Visual Studio, MSOffice, Adobe products, LightWave, SQL Server, ... And, importantly, no games !

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    I'm wondering why so many people have problems with Windows.
    I listed some very good reasons a few posts up.

... And, importantly, no games !
    I made the horrible mistake of installing Kerbal Space Program. It has eaten my life.

JRandom, I understand your frustrations about consistency. The problem is that ALL OS's, apps, ... have those problems in some way (the one more than the other, I agree).

The first thing I do when installing a new Windows OS is look for available shortcuts (Windows + key). This way I found Windows+X gives a nice little menu with interesting stuff. The right toolbar can be called with Windows+I. I know, this shouldn't be the way to do things, but as a developer, I'm mainly on the keyboard with my hands, so shortcuts are my 'life' in any application. MS should stick with their Ribbon for some time. At first I hated it, but after I implemented it in my own ERP, my customers just loved it.

Besides, Win8 uses a lot less resources than Win7 and Win8 is also faster (in my experience). I hate the Metro startup screen. So, a spacebar press, enter my password and simple Windows key to go to the desktop and get 'rid' of Metro. I heard Win8.1 will let you boot in 'Desktop' right from the start. Oh yeah, and I use DOpus !

Just today, I had to boot twice, Win8 could find my profile...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    Win8 all the way and super happy with it. New hardware, new software, no problem at all! Soon 8.1 and this will be even better normally.
    No problem with wacom lag and the alt,ctrl,shft is always there even after registry editing? So far my friends have problems with their highend wacom tabs.
    For the record I have no problem with windows 8 except if its going to be used as a touch os like IOS and Android. For that its really horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    For the record I have no problem with windows 8 except if its going to be used as a touch os like IOS and Android. For that its really horrible.
    Wait, so you're only issue with Windows 8 is the main intention of the new UI elements? That's kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    Wait, so you're only issue with Windows 8 is the main intention of the new UI elements? That's kind of funny.
    Microsoft aint finding the awful sales of surface pro funny though.
    Not exactly just the new UI elements, which is another issue . They're selling surface pro and other oem has similar tablet only devices based on windows 8 pro that has 99.9% windows 7 and windows past software. If you try using appz with surface pro, etc with touch which is their marketting strategy, good luck trying to do the basic thing with touch with "legacy" appz. Touch is not even accurate for work imho so mouse and wacom tablets will not disappear.
    Complaints on the web regarding metro ui is not a fluke. Not everyone wants a big ui that covers the work ui.
    I got rid of metro and was ok with windows 8 as a desktop os since its slightly faster than windows 7 but as a touch os I wouldn't recommend paying the premium for touch enabled laptops, mine was just 400usd on discount which is just for testing what it would be like to have a touch lappy. Now I know it sucks.
    Will mac pros and mac air have touch enabled panels soon? That will be the same crap to deal with in osx.
    Last edited by geo_n; 08-17-2013 at 07:15 AM.

The other day I was looking for a nice Touch Screen with IPS panel 30" 2560x1600... Didn't even find something with decent quality. So touch is far off for me to be honest. I talked with houndreds of customers about touch. NOBODY was interested! Touch is nice for smartphones, there it does what it is supposed to do. For laptops/desktop computers a mouse is more precise.

I hate the touch device, I have it disabled on my portable computer, prefer the mouse still.
    Touch screens for interactive displays and mobile devices is cool and based upon situations where you do not sit in front of a computer with a table so it works best there, or being in bed with your beloved
    portable computer then touching is okay, otherwise let it be.

Michael

Hold your arms out in front of yourself for 10 minutes while acting like you are using a PC touch screen.

Wasn't that fun?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Hold your arms out in front of yourself for 10 minutes while acting like you are using a PC touch screen.

Wasn't that fun?
    Im working on a steady arm support design for that, wonīt cost much
    Soon we will also see implanted brain chip that can control robot arms for you, so you donīt have to use your own arms, you can do other things with the arms while you multitask control the robot arms with your brain while browsing etc

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post

Wasn't that fun?
    Makes me tired. I'll keep my exercises outside of work.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Win8 for PCs is just not ergonomic.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

But isnīt it easy just to turn off the touch screen and make it work as usuall with mouse? if it isnīt ..I would call it a disaster.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast