Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LightWave 11.5 Layout destroys files

LightWave 11.5 Layout destroys files

Hi guys,

I allready fogbuzzed this but I thought to let you know as well.
    I have a scene with some obj files instead of lwo's. When I did a 'save all objects', Lightwave overwrote those obj's with a faulty file.
    The next time I opened the scene, the obj's weren't there anymore. The ob's themselves couldn't load in Lightwave or any other 3D program anymore.
    So watch out with using native obj's, better to make lwo's of them.

ps: the reason for not having everything lwo is that I'm using LW only for the dynamics.
    MacBook Pro quad core 2,6Ghz, 8Gb ram
    Mac Pro dual Intel quad core 2.8 Ghz, 8Gb ram, Quadro 4000

my website and 2011 showreel
    http://www.simonglas.net

Thanks. I don't think I have ever used OBJs in Layout - never had a cause to, but now I definitely won't! I guess I can see why this might break, but then it shouldn't trash files either.

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

HAve you tried changing the obj extension to .lwo after saving?
    It's always better to save obj's to lwo's first because obj doesn't support all the surface properties, like nodes for example.

Heffalump
    Actually, I am not convinced this is a bug, but more user error. You imported/loaded a format that isn't LW's native object format. You didn't then export, but did 'save all'. I would expect this to write out LWO data. Arguably, it should prompt that the file extensions are incorrect, but 'save' always writes out the application's native format. There are export commands available for non-native saving. There are some things that the user needs to pay attention to - the application did what it was told to do.
    Inactive.

@ 3DGFXStudios
    Now I've changed them to LWO's and now they work fine. I don't need any shading though as after the dynamics are done everything is going back to Softimage.

@ Phil
    Saving all objects should just work right? LW can export obj's so it shouldn't be a problem to save them, I don't even care if it converts them to LWO's but I don't think you can attribute destroying files to a user error. You can't even open them anymore with another program, I call that a serious bug.

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarford View Post
    @ Phil
    Saving all objects should just work right? LW can export obj's so it shouldn't be a problem to save them, I don't even care if it converts them to LWO's but I don't think you can attribute destroying files to a user error. You can't even open them anymore with another program, I call that a serious bug.
    My point is that they aren't destroyed and that the thread title is unduly scary. As you said, they are overwritten by valid LWO data. Destroyed would suggest a total failure where corruption happens in such a way that nothing can be done.

This has been the case for some time : export is different to save. Import and export functionality is a different component (Valkyrie plugin) compared to the native format support (LWO). The user is expected to know the difference between import and load, and export and save. It's not dissimilar in other applications. Since you asked to 'save all objects', the program did what you asked it to do and saved out to the filenames that were loaded in. As I said, it seems reasonable to suggest that Layout should warn you that the file extensions aren't correct and ask what you want to do - that's what this issue seems to resolve to in terms of a bug report that could be filed and relatively quickly worked on.
    Inactive.

You use the word 'Import' but if you actually look at the import menu within Layout, it only has one thing there. Scenes and 3rd party files like FBX are loaded by using the 'load' command not Import... therefore I'd have expected Layout to work in such a way, as when you save all objects (despite them being obj) it would save them as the original file format. I'd call this a bug, or a poor implementation, but either way... it's a poor workflow that should be fixed.

If newtek changed their load function to be satndardised to JUST the LightWave format, then great... but as long as there is no diffrentiation, then of course it will cause confusion and issues.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    My point is that they aren't destroyed and that the thread title is unduly scary. As you said, they are overwritten by valid LWO data. Destroyed would suggest a total failure where corruption happens in such a way that nothing can be done.

This has been the case for some time : export is different to save. Import and export functionality is a different component (Valkyrie plugin) compared to the native format support (LWO). The user is expected to know the difference between import and load, and export and save. It's not dissimilar in other applications. Since you asked to 'save all objects', the program did what you asked it to do and saved out to the filenames that were loaded in. As I said, it seems reasonable to suggest that Layout should warn you that the file extensions aren't correct and ask what you want to do - that's what this issue seems to resolve to in terms of a bug report that could be filed and relatively quickly worked on.
    Even if I change the extention to LWO Lightwave is still unable to read in those files. The file size decreased from 28 KB of the original to 1 KB of the ones Lightwave wrote out. In short, the file is broken.
    The title of the thread is not unduly scary; Lightwave 11.5 destroys files, there is no two ways about it.
    And it does it both on PC and Mac.

There are, unfortunately, a few problems like this with LW and most longtime LW users won't even find them as they are used to working in LW and LW only.

Now, the problems arise when non-LW users move over to use LW and stumble across some strange things like this...
    LW users will say it's obviously not a bug, whereas things like this shouldn't even be possible. It's down to a programmer to make software as easy as possible to use, yet jumping through hoops and remembering that upon loading an .obj that .obj then needs to be saved out as a .lwo? That seems crazy to me... and the people suffering from this problem.

These things do need to be addressed as they cause issues newcomers to LW.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

This is really worrying me! Why hasnīt Newtek solved this problem in 11.6?

After I installed 11.6 nothing worked properly anymore and obj files seems to be unknown for Lightwave! Is this a joke?
    Curious

No, it's not a joke. Something is screwed up with your system. No one else is currently having the problems only you describe.

What OS?
    If on Windows, did you run the install as Administrator?
    Did you start with fresh config files or just go ahead and use the ones that were already there?
    11.6 is a Pre-Release. It needs to be installed in its own directory and should not be used for production work.
    Last edited by spherical; 10-26-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Never had any problem with Save All in LW 11.5 corrupting files. As Phil and 3DGFX suggest, after importing an obj always save it out of Modeler as a LWO then everything will play well.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    No, it's not a joke. Something is screwed up with your system. No one else is currently having the problems only you describe.
    I had it once. And it's exactly like OP described. Load OBJ (f.e. drag'n'drop), then forget about Save Object As.., and then save whole scene, and OBJ is screwed up (LWO is written instead under OBJ name or so)..
    If it's LWO then renaming .obj to .lwo and reloading scene should fix it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-27-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Spherical! I once went to a restaurant. There was a fly in the soup. When complaining and trying to get some attention from the waitress this is what I heard:

"- Something is screwed up with your system. No one else is currently having the problems only you describe."

I did run install in Admin mode and yes I did shut down every anti-virus program during the process! I the 11.6 version where also placed in itīs own folder by automation when it was installed! But still, I donīt see any solutions and I guess not anyone in here knows enough to help! But letīs be creative any way.

I run Windows 7 professional and I am not sure if I understand the new load object routine in LW. 11.6 of anyting has changed in the system. Is it really a new process when loading files nowadays?
    Curious

Jaxtone, Have you tried manually adding plugins?
    In Modeler go to Utilities -> Plugins -> Add Plugins then navigate to your Main LW folder and go to Support -> Plugins -> Import export or equivalent. You can also do this in Layout but I'd try loading your obj files in Modeler first then save as LWO first.
    Also go to Edit -> Gen options -> OBJ and check your options.
    Do a search for your *.cfg files delete and then close LW and the Hub before you do any of this.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by bobakabob; 10-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast