Thread: HD to SD

HD to SD

Does anyone on the forum have a good solution to converting HD master edits to quality SD? I am having issues getting good quality from my HD masters to SD DVD's. I am getting poor quality and artifacts and generally bad looking disks.
    If it's taking you longer than an hour to watch 60 minutes...you need help

Blog Entries
    How are you doing it currently?

Currently I copy the HD edit to an SD timeline in SE and then output thru firewire to a standalone DVD recorder. My other option is to make an SD render and use my Corel DVD program to make the disk if it requires menues or chapters.

Blog Entries
    How long is the final edit?

This particular project is 3 short individual clips 3-5 minutes each.

I just did a one hour and a half program on the health hazards of fracking in HD in SE. I loaded the HD file directly into DVD Architect and it outputted the project in SD to DVDs.

Blog Entries
    It sounds to me that your problem lies with the compression method used within the codec of your DVD writing software/hardware.

For clips as short as yours, you really shouldn't have any issues with with image quality when storing an HD edit onto a DVD in SD format.

I don't know if your DVD software allows you to tweak the MPEG2 codec settings for it's DVD file, but somewhere along the line your final MPEG2 file is being compressed too much.

Another possibility could be that the aspect ratio of the HD could be causing a conflict with the SD video's aspect ratio (i.e., HD 1920 x 1080i 16:9 to SD 720 x 576 4:3. UK resolutions are used here). Or it could be that your trying to convert a 1080p edit to an SD interlace format without setting it up properly.

Or it could be all of the above.

Try making sure that your aspect ratios are the same for HD and SD and that your scan settings (progressive and interlace) for HD and SD projects are both interlace.

Let us know how you get on.

Shabazzy

Quote Originally Posted by RayLarson View Post
    Currently I copy the HD edit to an SD timeline in SE and then output thru firewire to a standalone DVD recorder. My other option is to make an SD render and use my Corel DVD program to make the disk if it requires menues or chapters.
    One thing that is really working against you is that DV is 4:1:1 color space and DVD MPEG-2 is 4:2:0. You are getting the worst of both worlds when combined like that. On top of that, you are going from your HD codec, into the DV codec for the firewire transfer, then into an MPEG-2 codec for DVD mastering. Avoid the transfer over firewire, directly export out of SpeedEdit and that should help.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.