Thread: Difference between nodal access wNorm and wNorm0?

Difference between nodal access wNorm and wNorm0?

The documentation only describes nodal access' wNorm0, and the sample code for the specular sample uses wNorm. Anyone know the actual difference between the two?

... does no one know?

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The documentation only describes nodal access' wNorm0, and the sample code for the specular sample uses wNorm. Anyone know the actual difference between the two?
    If you read the ShaderHandler docs, wNorm is described somewhere near the bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by LW SDK ShaderHandler
    Modifiable Parameters

These parameters are used by the renderer to compute the perceived color at the spot and may be modified by the shader.....

wNorm
    Surface normal in world coordinates. If you modify this vector, you must renormalize it (make its length equal to 1.0).
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Right, yes, I was able to get that far -- I'm using wNorm in my plugin. But what's wNorm0 for? Are they two slots containing the same information that the node can modify?

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Right, yes, I was able to get that far -- I'm using wNorm in my plugin. But what's wNorm0 for? Are they two slots containing the same information that the node can modify?
    Yes, they start the same, but wNorm0 is the original normal and can't be changed, wNorm is the new normal.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.