Thread: Tricaster Studio file compatibility

Tricaster Studio file compatibility

Hello folks,

I'm new to the Tricaster world. I'm picking up on a project which has been running for some time and I need to find me feet quickly.

We were aiming to do a broadcast last night involving a simple live link followed by a VT played in from one of the DDR slots. A colleague encoded this to an H.264 mp4 in full HD. The project for the Tricaster was, I think, SD. On trying to import the video file into the DDR, audio came through no problem but the video was a full green still. Looks to me initially like the Tricaster disagreed with the CODEC but I don't know what software it was encoded on.

Can anyone help me direct my solution by helping me with what flavours of H.264 the Tricaster can or can't play with? Or if, perhaps, it wouldn't show up as the Tricaster was in an SD mode and the file wouldn't work as it was HD?

Thanks for your time,
    Richard

What model TriCaster do you have? You mention TriCaster STUDIO in the subject. If this is the correct model, than this TriCaster only works in SD mode. It would be best to create SD media for it to play. In same cases it might play a HD clip, but it really isn't designed for playback of HD media.

Once thing you might be able to do, it bring the clip into the 'Edit' mode of the TriCaster and if the clip shows up there, export it again as a TriCaster AVI clip.

Otherwise, if you are looking for a format/codec to create clips in for that model TriCaster, I would recommend AVI in the SpeedHQ codec (this codec is available by logging into your account on reg.newtek.com)

If this is a TriCaster XD model that can do HD video, I would expect it to be able to play a H.264 file in the DDR. However, I would still recommend the SpeedHQ codec because of it lower CPU usage.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Another way you can make use of media is by using the "Manage" icon after you name your session in the TriCaster. (see screen shot - http://www.livestream.com/userguide/...ter_BackUp.jpg). The reason for this is so you don't have incompatible media to the DDR for Playback. Select Import Media, Select the clips. If the TriCaster decides it needs to transcode the media to a usable format for playback it will do so in this window. Then it's usable in the DDR. (This link at 9:45 in will explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stbR-...43F8CA&index=2) I think this video link will greatly help you solve your issue, if you are indeed using an HD TriCaster system (XD300/TC450/TC450EXTREME/TC455/TC850/TC850EXTREME/TC855/TC8000)
    & WPS ROCKS!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I think I was correct - I've found more success in finding codecs which can be seen in DDR.

@kanep it is indeed a Tricaster Studio. I have a build, if that would help - haven't yet clocked the firmware release.

Since the original post I have found some file types and CODECS which can be seen by the DDR, including SD and HD file types. Where I'm at now, however, is observing on a lot of MP4 files, vicious stuttering during DDR playback.

I begin to think @kanep might be right, perhaps it's rescanning the resolution of the files into an SD project, then re-encoding for streaming output that's causing the machine to struggle. On that side, are there any recommended bit-rates for DDR files or do you think getting the resolution right will help straight away?

Since I'm taking this on fresh, I'd like to start maintaining the machine. Can anyone point me towards any hints/tips on maintenance of the OS/software elements to keep the machine running healthy?

Thanks again for your help
    Richard

Richard,

In terms of DDR playback, your safest bet is ofcourse to export from the TriCaster edit media tab, or you could export as SpeedHQ from another computer if you install the codec. Considering the Studio is an SD only machine, I would stick to 1024x576 resolution for all video content you want to load into the DDR.

As for maintaining the TriCaster, I would simply recommend defragmenting the drive once in a while. You'll find this can make recording and playback operations somewhat smoother.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joedemax View Post
    I would stick to 1024x576 resolution for all video content you want to load into the DDR.
    Perhaps you mean 720x576 (PAL D1)?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Perhaps you mean 720x576 (PAL D1)?
    That's an interesting question. I'm not sure what would work better. Considering he said HD, I'm assuming all the media is 16:9. If one brought in a widescreen video that was anamorphic @ 720x576, wouldn't one be forced to use an aspect ratio correction LiveSet effect to make it fill the frame?

Depends on the session and source (all of which is probably entered below, but I've lost tack of the details): p

Off the top of my head if an SD session is 16:9, an SD clip will be treated as anamorphic. In an HD session, it would probably be treated as 4:3. If it was originally a square pixel format, it might well need to be 1024x576 (square pixels), you're right.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks again for your responses. I'm trying 720x576 outputs just now. If I've got the tricaster edit/output option, I'm currently rendering out to a Tricaster AVI as well.

We're using the Tricaster in PAL 16:9 ISO Mode so hoping to get the clips in 720x576. I wondered if, since I've been throwing in HD files which the Studio has been seeing, just stuttering on playback, that it's struggling to re-scan the files live to the appropriate playout resolution. So I'm thinking if the files match the resolution of the incoming camera feeds (SD 720x576 PAL D1), perhaps it'll handle the files a lot better.

Thanks again for your suggestions, will let you know how I get on.