Thread: Loading Large Image Maps

Loading Large Image Maps

I'm trying to load a fairly large image map (86,000 x 43,000 pixels) into Layout and getting crashes. Does anyone know the maximum size of texture that can be loaded? I'm running LighWave 11.5 x64 on a PC with 160 GB of RAM.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal99 View Post
    I'm trying to load a fairly large image map (86,000 x 43,000 pixels) into Layout and getting crashes. Does anyone know the maximum size of texture that can be loaded? I'm running LighWave 11.5 x64 on a PC with 160 GB of RAM.

thanks
    You may need to use http://www.db-w.com/products/infinimap/about Infinimap that allows you to use larger images.

TrueArt Support
    86k x 43k in RGBA 32 bit float is 55 GB.

LighWave 11.5 x64 on a PC with 160 GB of RAM.
    You rather meant 16 GB?

We are fortunate to have some good equipment. We are running this on an HP Proliant Server with two Ten Core Xeons, and 192 GB of RAM, a Quadro K5000, and a Telsa C2075.

32 GB are set up as a RAM drive, which leaves 160 GB [not 16] for the OS and LightWave.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I will give this a try.

You may have all these cores, but everyone with all these cores coming out of their ears is in the same boat...... unfortunately! I bought my W5580 almost 4 years ago (in July, a beast at the time), sadly, other than for actual rendering, one (1) core only is used. So an overclocked CPU @ 4.8GHz will kill our boxes (my 940 is still my fastest box for single core work, & if I turn off Hyperthreading its faster still!)

To support the CPU with these massive files it may be worthwhile RAIDing a hand full of SSDs.

But one way or another the file has to be cut up, or managed in a different way.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

you could convert it to an indexed PNG, it should help... though you will loose a bit image quality...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFccG3v5ei8

infinimap could help also...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Due to the size it would be more reasonable to reduce it, or if necessary, cut into section with most common resolution as the 8192 * 8192.

But in knowing more can be find a better idea. What is the purpose?

How close will the map get to the camera?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

InfiniMap was designed for this situation, the pro version is a little pricey but there is a free version that will allow planar mapped textures. The pro version allows other types of image mapping. I have just been running into this same problem myself that's why I was looking into InfiniMap.

Here's another vote for InfiniMap. A great little plug in - which will let you convert your high res image to a low res proxy image and your system only loads the portion of the high res thats' actually being seen at any one time. Plus the customer support Mike Wolf gives is second to none!
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light