Thread: Is Too much to ask a 11.5 full documentation?

Is Too much to ask a 11.5 full documentation?

I just bought a new 11.5 upgrade, and i'm very upset to see that ...
    online doc are ligthwave 10 doc with somewhere some 11 or 11.5 addendum, but most of screen capture and reference are about lw 10.
    and from 11 many things are changed... render and node managment

in download section you cannot find a new full 11.5 documentation, but a lw 11 doc, with 11.5 addendum...

i not payed with recicled money, but with good money and i would like to see a normal full updated documentation, like all software house do, a new documentation for every new payed upgrade...

you don't know how to do?
    ok, give you ten minutes to see maxon work on cinema4d, download demo, and understand how to serve correctly the users.

documentation is integrated html, updated for every single update of software, not only with upgrade, in 22 different languages, and is software sensible...
    in every part of software i can put a cursor on a tool or parameters, i can click ctrl+F1 and istantanely cinema 4d open manual in the section related about tool or parameters where is the cursor.

lw 11.5 is a nice update, i follow you from lw 3 under amiga Os, i would like to see the same effort to upgrade and optimize documentation like software, be cause... you can build best software of world, but if people not understand how to use, is wasted work.
    Danger! Mad Scientist at work

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    +1

But, I've been beating that drum a lonnnnnnnnnnng time.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

i'm a long time user, but i found many obscure part on documentation, and only thanks a GREAT community around Lightwave, that i learn most that i need, but new users cannot have this approach, they need clean and organized documentation.

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

..this isn't the 11.5 documentation you are looking for..
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

ah ah your jedi hacks not work with me.

Stuff
    agreed
    especially the in-app help
    +1
    Andrewstopheles

+1
    Documentation is a weak point for a looong time now. You have to search through different files (more and more in fact with these addendum) and this is really confusing specially for new users.
    Some parameters are still not (or poorly) documented. Being part of this forum to ask for some help, search for some tips and techniques is fine, but not to search for information that should be on a reference manual.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Moderated wiki-like dox, starting with the existing dox.

Just sayin'. (For the umpteenth time.)

And as I have said numerous times, overhauling the documentation is not a quick process. There are more than 1500 pages to write, plus organisation of how we present the data going forward. 11 has an addendum, yes. But that's so I can concentrate of making the docs for 12 all you want.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Don't get me wrong Ben, you did some great work improving the docs for some time now. I admit it's a huge work for a one person (!) and it's good to know you are working hard to improve it.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    And as I have said numerous times, overhauling the documentation is not a quick process. There are more than 1500 pages to write, plus organisation of how we present the data going forward. 11 has an addendum, yes. But that's so I can concentrate of making the docs for 12 all you want.
    Just an idea for the docs for LW12:

a.) http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/start/
    b.) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual
    c.) http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/...e_Basics_Guide
    d.) http://manual.eyeonline.com/eyeonman...etting-started

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Not every description/explanation will work for every user.

As much as I pound the drum for wiki-like (BUT NOT) structures for LW dox, I must say that FOR ME, the blender dox seem like a dog's breakfast. I think that's because they are ENTIRELY volunteer produced.

That's why I always say that online dynamic documentation STARTS with BeeVee's work, and the volunteer contributions are moderated.

CASE IN POINT: I think Ben's explanation of AXIS TRANSLATE should begin not with:
    "To use the Align tool, first activate the tool."
    But
    "To use the Align tool, first select the geometry you want to align."

(The align tool will do SOMETHING if you haven't selected anything, but it's rather unpredictable IMO.) This minor edit I think would help new users and users new to the Align tool.

If we start with good dox, letting users add clarity and examples should give us BETTER dox. At the least, we start at "good".

Not every description/explanation will work for every user. People learn in different ways. By allowing multiple explanations to accrete around a solid foundation of professionally produced documentation, we should be able to get the best of both worlds: a sound professional foundation, and examples and alternatives provided by users.

And if a section gets enough "Huh????" comments, we have metrics to show that "hey, this explanation is inadequate."

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post

B
    Does it mean that a full updated documentation is on the works (and hopefully to be released with LightWave 12)?
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    Does it mean that a full updated documentation is on the works (and hopefully to be released with LightWave 12)?
    Well it certainly sounds like Ben was implying that. But it also implies from this thread that LW13 will once again get an addendum because he spent so much time on LW12 docx and that LW14 will once again get full documentation.

That would be a start in any case. How things are now are far from ideal.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.