Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see improved in LightWave over next few versions?

psst.....game development
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

I'd like to see edge smoothing thats based on actual edges rather than surfaces. Its about time Newtek caught up with the rest of the 3d apps out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Better memory management!
    I have a scene here at work with two big machines both with around 1000 parts each. In C4D that we use to do the animation it takes up around 2 Gb of RAM when the scene is loaded. In lightwave it doesn't even load, it eats up all 8Gb of ram in my computer and crashes. I was able to load one of the machines if I loaded the obj file as one layer, but it took up over 6Gb of RAM and C4D can load more than two of these objects and still just use around 2 Gb of RAM. C4D also loads the obj files a lot faster, I would say that it's more than 10 times faster in loading the same object. Lightwave needs to step up in this area.

Rendering wise I still think that LW beats C4D in most aspects.
    Totally agree on the Memory Management...

Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Better memory management!
    I have a scene here at work with two big machines both with around 1000 parts each. In C4D that we use to do the animation it takes up around 2 Gb of RAM when the scene is loaded. In lightwave it doesn't even load, it eats up all 8Gb of ram in my computer and crashes. I was able to load one of the machines if I loaded the obj file as one layer, but it took up over 6Gb of RAM and C4D can load more than two of these objects and still just use around 2 Gb of RAM. C4D also loads the obj files a lot faster, I would say that it's more than 10 times faster in loading the same object. Lightwave needs to step up in this area.
    This.

Rendering wise I still think that LW beats C4D in most aspects.
    Even so, having bucket rendering would not hurt.
    Last edited by roctavian; 04-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roctavian View Post
    Even so, having bucket rendering would not hurt.
    Given the rather significant engineering overhaul this would necessitate, why do you think you need this? The current scanline renderer already threads very efficiently. Micro-poly displacement? Surely there's more pressing and immediate problems with LW that need addressing. Like a working undo system!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

I don`t know how major the changes might be. I`m not a programmer, so I don`t have the expertise to say that.
    I`m only hopping this way you can render more with less. LWSN is pretty strong in that respect, but even so, it might help. Maybe being able to render bigger images than others might be an advantage.
    I would even say that`ll be nice to have LWSN being able to cache on HDD/SSD like FPrime.
    Also, everyone`s personal agenda might differ. For me the undo system is not that important.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A "Command Search" feature, like Spotlight on Mac or 11.5's real-time Node Editor plugin search, so you can quickly access >all< plugins / commands by substring.

Would show a list of commands matching the typed-in word. Faster than navigating through the tab to any button. Display plugins not configured to be visible in your Menu. Also useful for hotkey reference.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö Ī wk Py

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    A "Command Search" feature, like Spotlight on Mac or 11.5's real-time Node Editor plugin search, so you can quickly access >all< plugins / commands by substring.

Would show a list of commands matching the typed-in word. Faster than navigating through the tab to any button. Display plugins not configured to be visible in your Menu. Also useful for hotkey reference.
    +1!
    I agree it would be sweet if the utility tab could host a sort of search functionality for quickly running through all the tools and plugins available in lw

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post

yes that is sort of houdini way too..use the tab key and enter your text search and it auto lists your commands based on the very first letter you enter and also following subsequently letters.
    would be nice.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by roctavian View Post
    Also, everyone`s personal agenda might differ. For me the undo system is not that important.
    It's not a showstopper for me either, but I do think that it hinders wider acceptance and usage of LW amongst potential new customers. It sends out a bad message about the quality of the engineering in your app if it can't even offer something as basic as a working undo system.

Yes, I know there's some great engineering in LW - but I'm talking about external perception here.
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

New UI. Love Modo's ability to customize, pop ups, pie menus, etc..etc..etc..etc.....there is too much to say. Would love to see LW steal some UI from Modo!

To those that mention Bucket Rendering. Have you not seen a SLAVE setup with Modo. When I gave Modo a shot with our machines I had 64 buckets on one image rendering an F9 image. It was insane. LW has been multithreaded in rendering from day one, but almost everything else is single threaded. Try doing a slice on a large poly object, pull up CPU usage....yup, not much activity there! lol. I digress....

The bucket rendering on multiple machines was impressive. It was like having a personal network render farm for my F9 render. Didn't have to send to a seperate farm, just press F9 and all nodes kick on and take a bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    The bucket rendering on multiple machines was impressive. It was like having a personal network render farm for my F9 render. Didn't have to send to a seperate farm, just press F9 and all nodes kick on and take a bucket!
    Yep, I've been aksign for new NetworkRendering for quite some time by now, our current SNII is very limited and basic .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yep, I've been aksign for new NetworkRendering for quite some time by now, our current SNII is very limited and basic .
    Lewis, I will say if you dig around in Luxology forums you'll find that there network rendering doesn't always work and they have some problems, many unhappy users.

I'll admit LW may be old and limited in some ways, but it's SOLID! I guess progress can always introduce issues. Our studio and many others I assume, have invested in 3rd party controllers for network rendering. SNII is a joke. No further development since like 4 or something. Anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    Lewis, I will say if you dig around in Luxology forums you'll find that there network rendering doesn't always work and they have some problems, many unhappy users.

I'll admit LW may be old and limited in some ways, but it's SOLID! I guess progress can always introduce issues. Our studio and many others I assume, have invested in 3rd party controllers for network rendering. SNII is a joke. No further development since like 4 or something. Anyway....
    I understand that but it's not great with SNII either, it's not workign properly everytime, not even been able to scan all machines at first go (most of time it needs 2,3,4 scanns to pickup all machines). Sometime radiosity cache is hard to export properly, sometime IES lights don't get written proerly into scene file as relative paths but abolsute (or wqiht too many \\\) so nodes don't see them, etc. etc.. we have our share of problems evne in this "basic" state so i'd still rather have feature rich with some quirks than feature less with quirks .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast