Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see improved in LightWave over next few versions?

What would you like to see improved in LightWave over next few versions?

Watching one of the Modo 701 demos shows a scene with 2.7 Billion with a B polygons and they are navigating throug the scene while the preview renderer is running. Even more impressive is the fact that they easily select some polygons on a model with no delay and are able to perform a bevel operation without much lag (that I can see anyway). That's probably the most impressive display of performance I've seen in a 3D application before. I would love to see that kind of data handling performance in LightWave. That demo alone made a huge impression on the way I view Modo.

So I was just curious what was important to other LightWave users. So if you had to pick say, 3 things you would like to see what tops your list of things you would like to see over the next few iterations of LightWave? I dont' necessarily mean just list 3 feature requests, I mean things that you think really need improvement in LightWave. Could be things like workflow, program access, GUI, consistency, longstanding issue resolution, etc.... But if there are certain features that you think LightWave is really lacking, you can list those too. Not trying to be limting in any way.

For me it would be:

• Program integration (merging of modeling and layout functions into single environment where tools are tools- not specific modeling OR animation tools.
    • Large Scene data handling (Polygon pushing power)
    • Deformation improvements (stackable deformation)

Yes, I agree. MODO 701 is a rather impressive release. I remember when Softimage released it's Gigacore architecture - still amazing today. I'll be upgrading to 701 soon and put it through it's paces.
    Gary Chike

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Search, Help, and Documentation.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

same top 3 as on first post.

1. Everything node based with anything being able to to drive and connect to anything.
    2. Animated modeling funtions. - Why can't you move the frame slider ahead 10 - 15 frames and grab a vertice and make a keyframe of that new vertice position? I really don't get that. (speaking of modo as of course there is no animation in Modeler. )
    3. Total clean up of the modeling tools with workflows thought through.

I could go on and on.

1. New Mesh system, Tons faster than what we have now
    2. Integration and fully nodal acess to modeling and animating
    3. Modifier stack - history stack /proper undo.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

A decent history/undo system in layout that remembers more than just translation/rotation/scale would be really nice. We've kinda got used to undo being so terrible but isn't it time Newtek caught up with other 3d apps out there?

Ditch the modeler! Work on the Layout only(increase the rendering capabilities and animation) while injecting the CORE elements into it(modeling tools), reduce the price of the package a little...while I appreciate the work on modeler I believe it's wrong to do the changes now as it is too late and it waste the resources. I would rather have fluid effects in layout, better hypervoxels and animation tools in Layout than another sexy bevel or chamfer tool in modeler

Thing is each of the devs have their specialities, so David Ikeda and James Willmott (I think) can work on modeler and it wouldn't cause a massive loss to layout.

I myself want liquid watery type liquids! It's the only thing I can't fake or work around at the mo, so I would really really want it.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

i have tested 701 vs 11.5 on 1 million poly object modeler.. i have to say thumbing round is same speed, and rotating elements (if not item mode) is just a little faster in modo.
    Extruding with new lw 11.5 tranform tool is faster than in modo.. generally if you do not work in item mode.. modo is slow as lw is... in item mode it is faster than lw backdrop layer but not 175 x (maybe compared to modo 601)
    in the end.... LIGHTWAVE 11.5 new mesh tools once initialized is way faster than modo 701 but problem is 11.5 new mesh tools takes ages to initialize and we definitely need this new system to be ON by default all the time while modeling means complete LW TOOLS to be transformed into new mesh system.. once they do this we will have lott faster modeler.. i would say faster than modo 701....
    Last edited by mav3rick; 03-28-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    new web page up www.null.hr

particles *fluids ,flame/smoke and so on"
    Sculpting tools
    bullet constraints.
    beer

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    Thing is each of the devs have their specialities, so David Ikeda and James Willmott (I think) can work on modeler and it wouldn't cause a massive loss to layout.
    So... can't they do the same with Layout? I.E. work on some modeling tools in Layout without "breaking" modeler? That way you get closer and closer to a unified app as time goes on. I'm not a programmer so I may be way off base here. That takes care of #1: A unified app.

#2: A more modern interface/workflow. If you look at the other apps out there they are getting some interface love all the time, and it seems like LW hasn't changed at all since before I was born. That's not necessarily bad, but I'm not an old codger yet -- I can handle change. Hit me.

#3: While I agree on the modifier stack thing, it's not a deal breaker. It would really improve things 100-fold, but I'll bet a re-write of major chunks of code would be in order, and that isn't in the cards at this point apparently.

particles *fluids ,flame/smoke and so on"
    Sculpting tools
    bullet constraints.
    beer
    Hey! that's four things. I want beer too.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    • Program integration (merging of modeling and layout functions into single environment where tools are tools- not specific modeling OR animation tools.
    • Large Scene data handling (Polygon pushing power)
    • Deformation improvements (stackable deformation)
    sorta the same list here, +lattice (or maybe i can hack that somewhat with DP spline, have to check...)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    ... work on some modeling tools in Layout without "breaking" modeler
    For example - select poly's and make new surface..

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast