Thread: Screamernet and plugin "MD_Plug" or MD2000.p

Screamernet and plugin "MD_Plug" or MD2000.p

Has anybody else run into trouble using Screamernet and Bullet Dynamics (saved as MDD files) on remote rendering machines that do NOT have LW loaded on them? The plugin "MD_Plug" which lives in the file "support\plugins\animation\MD2000.p" was not loading on one remote machine (it worked on the other one). Turns out the machine it was failing on didn't have LW installed locally. Installing it locally solved the problem, but I thought that LW didn't have to be installed locally to use Screamernet?

I had the same problem using Butterfly Netrender and people from Dream Solutions solved it updating Windows... maybe the same issue
    Last edited by vector; 03-03-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Yeah, I'd love to know what the issue is. It only happens with this one plugin - everything else is fine. Maybe it'll be fixed in the next release.

LightWave has not to be installed on your render nodes, but some components are required for some plugins like MD2000.p.
    I bet the Microsoft Visual C++ libraries were not installed on your render node. I had to install these on my render nodes (with fresh Win7 install) to fix this issue.
    I can't remember if it is 2005 or 2008 Redistributable Packages (or both or them).
    Hope it may help.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

That's interesting, I bet that's right - I bet it was the support libraries. Oh well - Installing the whole shooting match solved the problem, and disk space is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by egearbox View Post
    Installing the whole shooting match solved the problem, and disk space is cheap.
    Well, it depends on how many nodes you have to set up, since it could take some time to install the full LW on a whole render farm.

Quote Originally Posted by olivier MICHON View Post
    Well, it depends on how many nodes you have to set up, since it could take some time to install the full LW on a whole render farm.
    That's a problem I'd like to have.

Currently I only have three PCs in my "render farm." I guess if some large customers want action on this, maybe LW will release some instructions for getting everything working on all nodes. Until then, my three nodes are working and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by olivier MICHON View Post
    It doesn't take long on a render farm.

I use Matt's setup.

If you have the same hierarchy of folders on every computer, you can just copy the whole folder to every computer & then you have all the plugins & everything in the right place. Piece of cake!

The same hierarchy also makes it easy to copy/paste & change the Bat file ack & job # as well.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post

I use Matt's setup.

If you have the same hierarchy of folders on every computer, you can just copy the whole folder to every computer & then you have all the plugins & everything in the right place. Piece of cake!

The same hierarchy also makes it easy to copy/paste & change the Bat file ack & job # as well.
    I am a bit surprised that copying the whole LW folder will also put the VisualC++ libraries in the right place, but since I don't know about Matt's setup I can't say it for sure.
    I use the "regular" setup for years, with all nodes pointing on the same shared folders. Faster to setup, easier to keep in sync.
    But I assume it's just a matter of personal taste.

Need the Matt's setup info. Links are broken. Where do I find?

Silvio Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post

I use Matt's setup.

Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

Any update regarding whether this has to do with VC++ installation and if so what version?

This seems more plausible than the notion of copying the LW install folder to all render nodes, because how would MD2000.p know where that folder is and what it's called?
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Never mind. Found this on BNR FAQ...

"If you are having issues with plugins not loading on the rendernode machines [like MD2000.p] - please confirm your have installed the vs2008 redist sp1 file on all the rendernode machines. This update is required for LWSN. You can find this file in the folder where Lightwave is installed."
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX