Thread: AE SureTarget for LW - help yourself!

AE SureTarget for LW - help yourself!

Anyone who has used SureTarget in AE will appreciate it's usefulness for zipping around a scene in 3d space. Here's a simple approach I've used for LW.

It's not perfect or very automated but did the job for what I needed and should help you get the ball rolling. Here's what you'll need:
    DP Kit
    MG Springythingy - although it's optional!

move/rotate the numbered nulls to wherever you need. The Target null has Nodal Motion on the Motion Options to see how it goes together (very simply!).

The Camera has MG Springythingy for the Inertia - fiddle with at will!

There is a downside - because I'm using null position and rotations fed into the gradient colour channels it's only working properly in Linear Colorspace. I've created another post if anyone has a solution to get absolute values in/out of a gradient without having to split out all the positions and rotations into scalar values….

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....e-for-Gradient

Anyway, might be useful, might not! Please improve on it and post back!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you! I've been searching for something similar since the link from AE to LW isn't working with SureTarget. Also, in LW the positioning of everything feels more natural to me. In AE, 3D placement stuff sucks a bit if you ask me.

It's a start! Check your original post, I think I found a solution (basically, use the AE Enhancer script). I'll update if I can streamline it a little.

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about trying to do this as well, but hadn't started. It's nice to to know I wasn't alone.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Thanks Dana, great minds!

Since it was driving me mad, I did a version that is CS independent (i.e., it's now using the alpha channels rather than the colour channels). Looks messy but it works!

Thanks, Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Update - just a little warning if you're using the "Send to AE" button. I name my nulls with a "+" at the beginning/end so they are distinguished from an object. Looks like the + is breaking the script when sending through to AE so you'll need to rename.

Will fogzB this.

"+" might be considered a special character so avoiding that would be the way to go.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

I finally got around to making the version of this that I had in my head (without looking at raw-m's version first) and ended up with much the same kind of set up. SpringyThingy doesn't seem to work anymore. I know when I initially tried it on my set up, the rotation didn't transfer over and when loading and playing raw-m's scene, it didn't seem to work at all.

I posted a video about it and saved off some .nodes files. http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/06/lw-...camera-set-up/

Cheers!
    Last edited by dwburman; 06-08-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Lovely stuff Dana! A much better nodal setup to read than mine, nicely described. Things are a lot tidier form me now I use db&w's Color Space node. Something has been lost in translation as I'm sure my Camera pointed correctly, who knows!

I made a feature request for Spline Control where by rather than distance you could go node-to-node as a destination and easily animate between each. I don't have much hope this will happen but fingers crossed

PS. I should add that it seems like the colour in/outs of the gradient node are stuck in Linear CS no matter what your CS settings so currently no need for the CS conversion.
    Last edited by raw-m; 06-09-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Cool. I remember there being some color space problems using color nodes with rotations, but I don't remember if that was something I experienced or just read. I also don't remember if a gradient was involved.

I wonder if something broke MGSpringyThingy.

I should start putting my node setup through it's paces sometime this week. We'll see how it goes.

Well, I guess color spaces does matter in some scenes. I started a new project and the node setup pushed the camera way out. Eventually I figured out the problem and the fix was to simply put the Colour Spaces node in just before the output. Setting color space to disabled also would work, but I didn't want to do that. Come to think of it, it may have only been a noticeable factor because my scene world was stupid big at the time.

Just did a little test myself as a refresher. I only got correct results using the Colour Space node as well, converting Linear to sRGB. Same if I was to use Displacement on an object. What I said in my previous post was half correct, the Gradient node's colour output is in Linear CS (I think this is a documented bug but it's been like this for some time so starting to think it's a feature!) but to get it to behave predictably the Colour Space node is required. Phew!

Same goes for rotation.

Thinking out loud, instead of a Gradient, wouldn't it be nice if we had a Multi Switch node for vectors, like you find in the Surface Editor/Nodes/Materials. Quickly adding inputs would be a real time saver, with a scalar input to animate...
    Last edited by raw-m; 06-12-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Neat...!

noticed changing the frame rate did some stuff when changing it to 5fps, but worked nicely... :]

took a gif-grab...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE SureTarget.gif 
Views:	265 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	122305  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

An old thread but fantastically relevant! I've found a script from 2003 that does all of this in a single script. It works without having to close the dialog box after every change (why don't they all do that? This plugin in over 11 years old!!).

PathAnimationIA (v2.3)
    http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_t...ead/index.html

It follows the path of another null but you can control the speed along it, working in percentage rather than distance (if you where to use Spline Control).

Here's my tips for getting it to work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Path-to-follow.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	124669
    1. Set timeline 0-100. Move a null (or whatever) around that represents your "stop" points. Frame 10 = 10%, frame 20=20% etc

2. Take your object/camera that you want to animate. Under Motion Options add PathAnimationIA.

Target Item: select your "Stops" null. Target Start/End: 0/100

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animated-item.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	124670
    Edit Chanel: Animate accordingly knowing that because the motion path is plotted between 0-100 each percentage coincides with specific point. This also has the added bonus of being able to change your "stops" position and know the following item will automatically stick to it. Also, if you want to change the shape of your path you can simply add some additional keys or play with TCB of the "stops" null.

Hope it's of use to someone. I've just found it and it's been a bit of a minor revelation. Tackles the whole Temporal/Spacial keyframe issue in LW quite easily
    Last edited by raw-m; 10-03-2014 at 04:25 AM.