Thread: YouTube settings

YouTube settings

What settings do you use to out for upload to YouTube? I have tried a few, they look great prior to upload, but once YouTube processes it, it looks awful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshotSE.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	455.9 KB 
ID:	112074

This is what I am going from.

Just Tryin' To Help...
    I render and upload MPEG2, 720x480, 4:3, 29.96 FPS, mode = Boxed, Interlaced (the source video properties as shot and edited). YouTube converts it to whatever (?) and it looks fine. You should be able to do the same thing, but set to 720x480 16:9 since I assume that's what your source footage is. I'm no expert at this, but it works. If someone else knows better, hopefully they'll chime in.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

I used to use MPEG2, but have found better quality after conversion once I switched to MPEG4 based MOV. In testing, I've had better results with the MPEG4 based MOV than when using the MPEG4 container format.

I had to set up my own presets to get something that worked good though. I currently use 1080p or 720p (even if the source is standard def) MOV with the MPEG4 codec, set to 2-pass encoding at 8K/second.

This was a clip I used for testing. YouTube processed it quite a bit cleaner than I've ever managed with MPEG2 in the past. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutB9eXTPnc
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

You could try downloading a YouTube video and analyzing it with gspot: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Gspot

I recall that a video that is already encoded to YT's specs will not be re-encoded.

Also, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. YouTube offers different video files for different bandwidth and resolutions. A video downloader like the "DownloadHelper" extension for Firefox will let you grab each version of the video available form YT.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 03-04-2013 at 08:43 AM.

720 X 480 is not 16/9 aspect ratio, it is 3/2 aspect ratio if you have square pixels. For standard def wide screen I most often use 848 X 480 which is pretty close to 16/9. SE works well with this resolution and YouTube seems to also work well with it. A lot of my videos are Lightwave or Terragen renders so I render to this same resolution (or higher) to get best quality. I have two JVC camcorders and a Fujifilm megazoom that all produce good quality HD and I shoot everything wide screen (16/9). Of course the compression always handles a series of stills better than a lot of motion.

mp4 with a high bitrate works for me...-Shawn

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com