Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RHiggit 1.4 with Game/Export rig RELEASED (and SALE on)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar

RHiggit 1.4 with Game/Export rig RELEASED (and SALE on)

Hey there...

So, the most recent update to my RHiggit toolset is now live and available.

The main addition is a new export skeleton builder, designed to help get your animated characters out of LW and into other apps, primarily, game engines. The whole thing is customisable, robust and delivers great results. You can see a basic overview of the whole thing here...

Existing users can grab the update right away, its available in your download... details posted here... http://www.rebelhill.net/board/viewt...a76021c554713b

And finally... in keeping with previous major updates... Im celebrating the new release by holding a SALE on RHiggit new purchases, upgrades and bundles... of 1/3 off, which will run till the end of March.

Cheers all.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Awesome update!

Thanks RH!!

As you know, these recent updates to Rhiggit have been a godsend for me - a real life (and time) saver! The export rig makes Rhiggit beyond essential in any game developer's toolkit. Now excellent animation in LightWave is no longer relegated to just renders, but using your Biped templates and the new Export Skeleton features, I've been able to bring my LightWave character animation practically identically into Unity and other real-time game-engines and software like Ogre 3D. Glad this is now officially part of the Rhiggit offering (although your betas were pretty dang solid).

The actual animating process with your rigs is a dream, real nice control and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Can't recommend this enough.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Craig, you are a clever man. If all goes well this month, I will finally be looking at purchasing a Pro licence.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Thanks RH.
    Are there additions to the docs and videos that we should download also?

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Thanks RH.
    Are there additions to the docs and videos that we should download also?
    Not really, nope (docs will be getting an overhaul for 1.5 which is gonna make some major changes)...

In the meanwhile, Ive done a lil vid here explaining the intended method for using the export skeleton, and how it works with the existing system. Ill also be adding others to give an introduction to game style weighting, etc for folks who aren't already up on that sort of stuff.

Cheers.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Many thanks Craig. Look forward to trying it out!

Very nice Craig! Thank you!
    Gary Chike

Thanks RH!!!
    Any treats for us about what will be in Rhiggit?
    555Lab.com

HP Z800 Win 7 x64
    LW11.0.3 x64
    Bi-Quad Xeon E5530 2.40 GHZ
    16 cores Hyperthreaded
    20GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 1.5GB / CUDA 192 cores
    Dual screen HP LP2475w

Quote Originally Posted by khan973 View Post
    Any treats for us about what will be in Rhiggit?
    In 1.5 I take it...

Nothing major new feature wise... but a good deal of workflow and general functionality stuff, which should generally just serve to make the toolset more rounded, robust, useful, etc.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Good stuff... I'll grab the update now, thanks

Newbie Member
    Thanks a lot. Much appreciated!

I just finished watching the above videos and I think you must have been reading my mind. I was going to ask your opinion on the most reliable way to get nicely deforming rigs from Lightwave to any other 3D packages without jumping through a lot of hoops. I figured that, if there was a system that works with getting CA from LightWave into a game engine, it will probably work well for MB and Maya too.

I'm going to assume the latest version of RHiggit is your answer.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    ...the most reliable way to get nicely deforming rigs from Lightwave to any other 3D packages without jumping through a lot of hoops. I figured that, if there was a system that works with getting CA from LightWave into a game engine, it will probably work well for MB and Maya too...
    Yup... pretty much, that's what this fella does.

Obv, there's differences in setup "hoops". You need a more strict weighting of your mesh to reliably export correctly deforming characters out... one of the reasons it couldnt (easily) be done with the initial deform rig is because its designed for use in LW, taking advantage of LWs joint deform tools to give great results in LW with very minimal weighting. But with the additional weighting work (which is necessary no matter what for decent export), this guy gives you a solid and reliable export to pretty much any other app that takes boned/skinned meshes.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    ...You need a more strict weighting of your mesh to reliably export correctly deforming characters out...
    This is something I've been aware of but it's an area where I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, such as normalizing all weights, etc. Lightwave is so forgiving about this stuff and it's made me 'too sloppy' for other programs I think.

You mentioned in the video that you are planning another video that will go into explicit weighting for other apps--I'll be looking forward to this one.

G.

Post This may help with Weighting for games

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    This is something I've been aware of but it's an area where I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, such as normalizing all weights, etc. Lightwave is so forgiving about this stuff and it's made me 'too sloppy' for other programs I think.

You mentioned in the video that you are planning another video that will go into explicit weighting for other apps--I'll be looking forward to this one.

G.
    Weighting for games is one of the biggest pains in the neck I've dealt with bringing character animation into game engines (particularly ones like Ogre3D where each vertex cannot have any weight influence from more than 4 bones otherwise some engines like Ogre (cant confirm this for Unity at the moment) end up acting weird giving you crazy deforms if there are more than 4. Say vertices under the arms had 6 bones whose assigned maps had weight values - well the game engine would toss out influence from bones 1 & 2 for that vertex and then take 3,4,5 &6 and normalize those to 100% which means you are likely to get some really ugly undesirable deforms in that place on your mesh. Rhiggit is awesome, but you still have to make your own weights. And the weight map choices mentioned in the docs really only work for deforming inside LW.

It is really critical when animating for games to "turn off' stuff that LW does that the other engines don't and try to have 1 weight map per bone as a starting place. Here's what I do when using the new Export Skeleton from Rhiggit:

• Setup Rhiggit as usual and use the create Export Rig plugin
    • Install the Dstorm Load Bones plugin into LW 11.x 32bit (yes you will need this version)
    • Go to your rigged Rhiggit scene and save a copy of the scene using File > Export > 6.0 Scene. (this Dstorm plugin only works with the old scene format)
    • Go into Modeler 32bit & load the saved 6.0 scene of your character using Load Bones plugin selecting the Export Skeleton rig (you need to be sure not to select the original Deform rig - just the export one)
    • Load your character mesh into Modeler
    • copy the skelegon bones into your character mesh's layer (before you do that make sure there are no weight maps in your character)
    • Run Modeler's Vertex Paint, Select the Weights Tab and set falloff to be ^128
    • Hit the Calc Weights button in Vertex Paint to create a new weight map for every bone
    • Exit Vertex Paint and save the weightmaps into your mesh
    • Save your mesh and go back into Layout - go to your scene BEFORE you saved the 6.0 version
    • Make sure your new weighted mesh is in the scene.
    • Make sure your mesh is using Bones from the Export Skeleton (you may need to reparent the Export Skeleton to the mesh)
    • Select the bones in the Export Skeleton and Run the AssignBoneVmaps plugin to set the bones to the new weight maps (this plugin automatically assigns the bones to weight maps with the exact same name - as created by Vertex Paint)
    • You can find that plugin here: http://www.tmproductions.com/Product...BoneVMaps.html
    • Also make sure to check Use Weight Only & Weight Normalization on in the plugin (which sets those for each of your many bones)
    • Now after you animate, and bake any IK or whatever, if you turn off IK and MC your animations should be only using the weight maps and not LW's deform system enhancements
    • Vertex Paint will not create good weights by far, but it creates a rough good starting map, that you will need to go back and forth between your Rhiggit scene and Modeler to tweak the weights created by Vertex Paint so your deforms look nice and don't have any crunchy spots (which they likely will on export from Vertex Paint)

Seriously as much of a pain that this is, it is still faster than creating each weight map yourself and gives you a slightly quicker way to get started. Obviously you'd like to have your rig in LW and your geometry nailed down before doing this or you'll have several round trips of pain to get it right.

I've been working on a weight map plugin to help this process, but I'm only half there and need to think about how best to solve this issue. I'm sure RH has some ideas. This is just what I've been doing, so I'm happy to hear other people's better ways of getting through this 4 bone/weight influence per vertex limit most game engines have....

lol at "done" above.... it's a bit more fiddly than that...

Btw this is not a Rhiggit problem it's a "we've-been-lazy-using-LW's-awesomely-forgiving-deform-system-vs-how-game-engines-work" problem.
    Last edited by sami; 02-27-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast