Thread: Suggestions for creating chain link?

Suggestions for creating chain link?

Hi,
    I've created a house and a swing for the front porch. Now I'm trying to create a chain with links like the one pictured. I know I could opt to use the common oval link, but this link has sparked my curiosity and I think it will look better. I've tried using a long tube and the bend tool and was only partially successful. I tried splines thinking I might use railextrude, but it got very confusing to keep track of the side, front and overhead view, especially when I only have this one reference photo. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share how you might approach this? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Link.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	111842  

I can only tell you to go back to railextrude and make great use of the perspective window.
    There is/used to be a plugin called Rope that would do this with ease.

LWavin' since Toaster 1.0 philthorn's Avatar
    I tried a quick test - not great but passable. I drew a quad, used the tweak tool (my new fav!) to drag out additional quads in the basic shape. I then extruded it and hit Tab to SubD it. Tweaked the shape around the other wire by selecting the polys and growing the selection.
    Once I had one side I copy/flipped it, deleted the overlapping polys and welded it together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	111843

link.lwo

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    I would use LWCADs pipe feature. Sorry, I know that's not vanilla Lightwave, but it allows you to add all the points and then go through each point and change it's X/Y/Z position. And whilst you do that, it reshapes the pipe accordingly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_000_001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	111845

Chain_LWCADPipe.zip

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

All good suggestions. I haven't purchased LWCAD yet, but it's on the list. : -) Waves of Light your's really looks good, but until I make that purchase, I'll have to try philthorn's. philthorns should work for now. I'm planning to create an animation where the swing is moving in the wind as I walk up the steps and into the house. Thanks so much to all of for the motivating ideas to get me going again.

Feel free to use and abuse mine. Seriously though, if LWCAD is on your list then make it top of your list, it is like the nitro to your modeling tool set.

Look forward to the animation.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Joepoe late to the party again.

If it's not too late... plugin bezier_bridge is really good at connecting up polys with a compound curve.

This object is basically still two ovals which are just joined in an ..... odd way.

It wasn't exactly a piece of cake, but bezier_ bridge did do a lot of the heavy lifting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 533.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	111851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 534.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	111854  
    Last edited by JoePoe; 02-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Here's the object to see process. (or to use)

layers: (named in file too)
    1)two ovals in basic position
    2)some sections removed to make way for bridging
    3)first bridge (btw bridge has to be from a single poly to a single poly)
    4)small rotation to set up the right "launch" position for next bridge(s)
    5)copied and pasted and moved the end sections of where the next two bridges will start to where they will end
    6)last two bridges.... and just some minor tweaking.

(also, I changed the number of sections created in the bridge to 6 (from 16, the default). Didn't need to use the bezier handles much at all)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JoePoe; 02-22-2013 at 05:37 PM.

LWavin' since Toaster 1.0 philthorn's Avatar
    Yep, the pipe method looks cool but I'm not a LWCAD user either. I do so much lowres quad modeling my brain is just wired that way. :-)

BTW - works a treat with Bullet.

Very awesome suggestions from JoePoe and philthorn. I'll share my animation when complete, but it's going to be awhile. I'm kinda slow at getting these things to work. Love that swinging chain philthorn. I hope mine turns out as well. I was trying to animate a human character walking but I gave up on that. I have not conquered humans, faces, or anything very organic. Actually, I'm not sure I've conquered anything yet. lol. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Nice. (>3 seconds woulda been nicER... )
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by philthorn View Post
    Yep, the pipe method looks cool but I'm not a LWCAD user either. I do so much lowres quad modeling my brain is just wired that way. :-)

BTW - works a treat with Bullet.
    Nice.

@Bax33 - Furthermore, I had totally forgotten about this one, but it works in exactly the same way as the LWCAD Pipe function:

http://www.pictrix.jp/?p=3760 (Px_Bezier) and it's free.