Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New To Lightwave a couple questions!

Hey a couple more questions everyone, Can you animate UV textures? and if so how, for example I have the eyeball with a UV texture and it isnt a ball because my character isnt one designed with spheres as eyes so if I wanted to make the character look somewhere else how would I manage to accomplish that.

Also another question if I model hair the anime style, how do I give it a little play, as in a little bounce so it doesnt come off as a completely rigid object? And would I build it on a separate layer or the same layer as what I already have. Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    Hey a couple more questions everyone, Can you animate UV textures? and if so how,
    Go to Surface Editor, Color, Texture Editor, Projection UV - fill in UV map and image - the Animation UV Cycler and Options are below that, see image.

You might be able do item #1 with nodes. But nodes don't show up in OpenGL so you're not gonna be getting any feedback.

As for item #2 you could try Bullet dynamics if you have 11.5. Depending on how the hair is modeled you could setup ik bones, then parent all the goals to a master null and then add secondary animation that way.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Previous attempt wasn't smooth enough so I gave up and started over
    Attachment 111958
    Attachment 111959

Think its starting to look better, though I did not model with rings so I will have to figure out something as I go for the eyes.

Is there a tool that averages out point locations to smooth in lightwave?
    Yes. There is a "Smooth" tool in Modeler. Because it does not create or add geometry, it should be located somewhere under the Modify tab. (ex: Modify > Transform > More > Smooth)

Also another question if I model hair the anime style, how do I give it a little play, as in a little bounce so it doesnt come off as a completely rigid object? And would I build it on a separate layer or the same layer as what I already have. Thanks
    There are at least five options:

- animate bones to bend the hair
    - the Inertia displacement plug-in
    - the SoftFX plug-in
    - the ClothFX plug-in
    - 11.5 Bullet Softbody dynamics
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Celshader, out of the 5 you mentioned, I saw a demo and I think ClothFX would fall like realistic hair? Am I correct in assuming that. All I really want from the hair is some reaction as the character moves so it doesnt look frozen on and has some bounce to it. Of those which do you think would be easiest to do, and how much of an adverse effect on render times does doing this have? Thanks

Thanks again everyone for the help

Inertia might be easiest because it is simplest:

Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

But does not work with other deformers. Does that mean won't work with Bones I wonder?

Another thing to also explore would be an IKB bone dynamics solution, perhaps? Say a rig for the hair constrained to the head bone. Just an idea.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-Bone-Dynamics

But if I was going to use Dyamics, I would try using MetaLink on a cage to deform the hair object with Cloth and a collision. I think that would give you the effect you are looking for.

There shouldn't be much of a difference in render times with any of those options. When it comes to bullet or softFX or clothFX, you'd calculate the dynamics before rendering.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Can you animate UV textures? and if so how, for example I have the eyeball with a UV texture and it isnt a ball because my character isnt one designed with spheres as eyes so if I wanted to make the character look somewhere else how would I manage to accomplish that.
    You may want to watch William Vaughan's tutorial, "How to setup a cartoon oval eye for animation," found under the heading "Character Animation," here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....2824-Hours-%29

Or, go directly, here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/eye.mov

To add to the above suggestions, if your character has short hair you can also use a turbulence displacement texture and isolate it to hair for simplistic wavering/wind effects.

Disadvantage: If you absolutely need your character's hair to react to directional movement, it won't give you the result you want.

Advantage: No pre-calcs required, easy to switch on/off.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Quick Question this is going to sound dumb but is there somewhere you can name objects? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orimar View Post
    You may want to watch William Vaughan's tutorial, "How to setup a cartoon oval eye for animation," found under the heading "Character Animation," here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....2824-Hours-%29

Or, go directly, here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/eye.mov

And question about this technique does it work when the eyes are really not perfect ovals either?

Thanks
    Last edited by KBS756; 03-02-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Objects are named according to the file/layer names. Sadly, TMK you cannot give them nicknames or aliases. This would be a good feature request.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Is there no way to make the calculation of cloth effects and collision effects use my computers full power? Activity monitor has it using 1 virtual core to 100% rather then using the 24 I have available ... its pretty annoying to only see it use 5-6% when it could be doing things faster if it was using more.

Is there no way to make the calculation of cloth effects and collision effects use my computers full power? Activity monitor has it using 1 virtual core to 100% rather then using the 24 I have available ... its pretty annoying to only see it use 5-6% when it could be doing things faster if it was using more.
    Correct, Bullet and the FX stuff are all single threaded. It's a common problem/limitation in cg sims it seems.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

And question about this technique does it work when the eyes are really not perfect ovals either?
    Thanks
    Give it a try.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast