Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you create a virtual set using Lightwave?

d powerfull Of lightwave abdelkarim's Avatar
    easy

Question: In a system like you see with a weather man, the live radar map is a video shown behind the live talent but in TriCaster parlance, the talent is actually in the background layer. But because the map is actually behind the weather man who is standing in front of it, I suppose it is the virtual set providing this "background behind the background" and is not considered to be one of the "layers". In scenarios where this weather map covers the whole screen, then it is essentiall like a four-layer system with one of the virtual video monitors acting as a fourth layer. TriCaster only has one DDR so it can only play one video at a time. However, this weather map must also be a video so it seems to me that if the TriCaster can do this then it can actually play two recorded videos at once. This is where the background layer contains live chroma keyed action, the middle or front layer contains a recorded video and the virtual studio provides the background (behind what TriCaster calls the background layer). So effectively, there can effectively be the equivalent of "four layers". Is this a correct assessment or do I misunderstand the architecture? If my understanding is correct, then I don't need the middle or foreground layer for this scenario unless I use it to add text or some other kind of aid.
    Last edited by PabloMack; 09-26-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Typically with weather, both the live camera and weather graphics are a live video input. Weather folks usually have their own graphics computer that provides a normal video output. In this case, the talent video could be in any number of places depending on how you want to do it. You could load any of the two, three or four layer options for M/E EFFECT in the TriCaster and place your talent in any of those background layers above or below any other graphics in the stacking order. You could also utilize any of the keyers in the M/E. If you were using DDRs or internal graphics sources in the TriCaster to do the weather graphics, I would keep the M/E in MIX mode and use the A/B layers to do transitions between background graphics while leaving the talent keyed over the top in one of the M/E's keyers.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

This is TriCaster 40 (specifically) I am talking about. As I understand it, the weather map graphics does not occupy one of the three "layers" (background, middle and foreground) as it must actually appear behind the background layer which has the live talent. Is this correct? In other words, it is background even behind the "background layer"?
    Last edited by PabloMack; 09-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.

I went down to my local Newtek rep (BiWay Media) and had someone demo the TC40 for me. Really nice guy. He told me that the Version 2 actually includes the Virtual Studio Editor/compiler that was a $2K option for the Version 1. Can someone verify this for me?
    Last edited by PabloMack; 11-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.

VSE (Virtual Set Editor) is still an extra cost option for all TriCasters (not just 40). Perhaps your reseller was thinking of ASC (Animation Store compiler), which is included with 40 V2, but wasn't in the earlier model.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you're talking about the Tricaster 40, then you have two input layers, one for the talent and one for another source (Video or Graphics), which would be your weather map, for example. Depending on how you setup your file, you can put your video/graphic layer behind or in front of your talent.
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    VSE (Virtual Set Editor) is still an extra cost option for all TriCasters (not just 40).
    I talked with BiWay's engineer and he confirms what you say. It just dawned on me. According to Joe, the VSE software comes with the TC40 but no license so it only runs in demo mode. A watermark is produced if you compile a virtual set. You have to pay the fee if you want full function. However, for my purposes, a watermark is probably okay because I am only planning to use the system for real time feedback of a live shoot. The program output will not be used in the final production. So with this is mind, it looks like I might have free use of VSE anyway. It may not be that I need it, though.

I just ordered a TC40. It should come next week. I am all giddy....
    Last edited by PabloMack; 11-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post
    A watermark is produced if you compile a virtual set. You have to pay the fee if you want full function.
    That's true, there is a demo version on the system.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    VSE takes layered .psd files as input, and creates LiveSet projects from that. You render the various layers of your scene as background or foreground composition elements in your graphic creation weapon of choice (it could be LW, but you could use a carved up photo, water color, line drawing, or what have you), arrange them - along with video input proxy layers - as required, and import in to VSE.

I think there's a video on the site depicting the VSE end of things.
    Hi, i had a look for this video can't seem to find it, what site are you referring to, and any idea on what the video was called, thx

Quote Originally Posted by EventsHd View Post
    Hi, i had a look for this video can't seem to find it, what site are you referring to, and any idea on what the video was called, thx
    There have been so many new vidoes added it's hard to keep up with them all, but I think U had this one in mind (which now seems to appear only on an external site):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WgXf7D9EI

It's a bit out of date, but still helpful.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123