Thread: LW 11.5 CRASHES - Post them here

LW 11.5 CRASHES - Post them here

I was so excited to see that LW 11.5 was relased last week, it had been delayed so I knew it would be a solid release.

My first open of Layout wasn't great. I move the camera around and it Crashes. I very rarely had 11.0.3 crashes. But I thought, we'll I'll update my graphics driver for my Quadro FX 3700 card. No luck, still crashes. I rebooted. Stopped hub etc..etc... Still crashes.

The scene I'm trying to work with is a very heavily INSTANCED scene. I think the problem lies there. I know there were some changes to the instancing plugin because the way it calculates Percentage placement is different. It's screwed up for me now!

Anyone else see this issue with heavily instanced scenes?

How do I get the correct feedback to the correct people at NewTek?

ok, I've done a bit more testing and it seems it may be LW 11.5's auto conversion (if there is such a thing) for instances. I have pulled in my objects and re setup all the instances (close as I could to the original setup) and it seems stable for the moment.

I wonder what is going on here? Anyone at NewTek help me out here? I would like to move into LW11.5 with these older scenes (it's a current project) but just can't with the crashes.

I'll post back if I get new Crashes in 11.5 with brand new scenes!

Some crashes in my old instances heavy scenes too. Bad OGL preview when instances preview is set to wireframe mode - other modes works fine. One crash that I had was caused by disabled instance slot. After removing this slot renders was fine. It needs more testing. I don't have time at the moment to start new scenes. Some crashes I have while adding some of DP Kit nodes to node tree.
    Last edited by Sanchon; 02-04-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    - Architectural Visualizations -

ok so I'm playing around with new features and it seems like now and in the past alot of things in LW don't have GOOD error handlers. If you don't do something the right (programmed) way LW will crash. LW rarly comes up with a nice message box stating what I did wrong and to try this possible option/sequence. It just crashes! Bad user experience. Makes the software feel buggy.

Yes I'll learn the correct ways to user the new features, as I have the old ones. But come on, let's add many many more error handlers in there. LW needs to feel robust and bug free, helping teach those that don't know what they are doing when they start out, or LW won't continue to grow as it should. It's a terrific platform/softwre package.

FOR INSTANCE. Try and use the new PLACE MESH feature. If you didn't know how to do it and were like me, you may have two items on your layer, select one and then press POPULATE on the numerics tab. CRASH! Not, please have a forground and background layer for this feature to work properly. For more information please refer to the manual on page XX.

Just saying....
    Last edited by tcoursey; 02-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.

I have a lot of bug/crashes as well. After using fiberfx it crashes on exit. It locks objects. For some reason objects are suddenly read only. It doesn't load some scenes with dynamics in them or ffx. A restart of LW is needed. It doesn't always save surfaces.(could be related with the read only issue) Modeler crashes when switching between a layout an modeler with bullet scene. pffff It's far from a rock solid build.
    The renderfarm rendered different transformations then a local f10 render. (without caching it to mdd obviously)

I also tried running it on mac but that was even buggier. Genoma rig creation crashed layout for example.

Some crashes in my old instances heavy scenes too.
    I've noticed LW11.5 crashes when i pack a scene with a large subdirs tree: when exiting lw, relaunching it and trying to load this packed scene, it crashes: if i move the directory of the scene to the root of the HDD, it works when loading it !...
    It seems to be a bug wih long path .
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

TrueArt Support
    You CANNOT run Lw v11.5 when you still have old version hub running.. And vice versa.

You must restart machine and/or shut down hub prior running older/newer version.

I experienced crashes even in Create > Box tool in LW v11.0.3 when I leaved LW v11.5 hub running.

Strange.. I hardly get a crash here, works flawlessly.
    Only prob I have is that go ae generated scripts are not automatically loaded in ae, so I execute them manually and it works fine

Tcoursey is right: there needs to be MORE error handlers of this sort.

As of right now, a crash will happen if the viewport(s) aren't on wireframe for genoma. Why not have that as a popup instead of the (we know its' going to) crash issue we have now?

I get deadness. LW just goes dead. In the middle of something and it just pauses. No rhyme or reason thus far. Seems Bullet related but it is too random to pinpoint yet.

Heffalump
    Posting crash reports in the forum is unlikely to get NT's attention. There's simply no manageable way to triage them and NT have a bug tracker system that they use. Bug report instructions are linked in the 'General Support' section :

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....m-Instructions
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    How do I get the correct feedback to the correct people at NewTek?
    If you want the dev team to see your report, you need to use this form:
    https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

That way your report is in their database with a case # assigned. If you can also provide some kind of proof in the form of content, screengrabs, steps-to-reproduce and/or video captures, your bug will get fixed that much quicker.

EDIT -- I second what Phil wrote above.
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

As for chamfer crash in point mode - I found workaround. Chamfer is stable in point mode if numeric panel arrows are used instead of dragging mouse over perspective viewport.

ok, just an update on my Instnacing crashes. Doesn't seem to be an issue with NEWLY created 11.5 scenes. Things are solid. But don't try and open a 11.0.3 scene with instancing. I guess the changes they made to the plugin don't like the settings or something left over in older scenes. My best guess.

Anyway, instancing is solid and I like the ability to have different settings. But as I mentioned in another post we need more MULTI-SELECT MULTI-EDIT options. Currently you can't select all your instances in one dialog and make a global change to any of the settings. You must click through each one...

As for bug reports. I haven't had many so I've never really paid attention. It just seems wierd that LW still gives us this crazy popup for sending bugs reports with a program they must not use anymore (ever). Just one more thing that make it feel (bolted together over many years)

I'll check out the fog bugz area for bugs. THanks!

Doesn't seem to be an issue with NEWLY created 11.5 scenes

Great to hear. I didn't tested new scenes yet.

we need more MULTI-SELECT MULTI-EDIT options. Currently you can't select all your instances in one dialog and make a global change to any of the settings.
    You can do this by editing main reference objects of instances in Layout - scale, stretch, rotation and offsets like other standard objects.

Save Preset of selected item in the Bullet Item Properties panel = instant crash. Fogged as https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.a...57161_kepml4aq
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX