Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Brudders 2' Production Log (Well, sort of...)

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Again!
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

Ha! Amazing! A great short. SO well framed!

Bravo!
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

I liked it a lot! Congratulations.

Specifically I liked how you solved the sequence when the hero character jumps from one seat to the next. Very well done. The 2D fits very well with the story too.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Great humour too.

"Cardboard box by Amazon"

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Here's a quick breakdown of the show:

The learning curve for ASP was steeper than I expected. It probably took me a month or two to get really familiar with the program and figure out a good workflow. Once I got that down, the project went pretty smoothly.

All of the characters were drawn and rigged in ASP 9.5. Most of the characters scenes were rigged with bones, and a few scenes had hybrid systems using bones with frame-by-frame elements attached. The program's Switch Layer is used for animating FBF and it's pretty neat--Switch Layers allow you to quickly edit frame-by-frame animations and, if you plan for it, you can get some nice morphing effects with it. I mainly used it for eyes, mouth and hand animations, but I also used it for Sergeant tumbling out of the pilot's seat and a few other tricky bits. The new Smart Bones system is really awesome--you can drive almost anything in the program with them. A lot of the 3D-ishness in the characters is coming from using Smartbones in the skeleton to drive morphs for parts of the drawings. Toullie's scarf and jacket or the toppling box at the end are a couple of examples of this.

Backgrounds were painted by Alisa in Photoshop. ASP can respect layers in PSD files and will import each layer to a separate ASP layer. The layers exist individually in 3D space so it's easy to achieve a nice multiplane effect with parallax and DOF. The 'cockpit door tumble' and 'screaming' scenes near the end are example of this.

The program has a really easy to use dynamics system. I applied it to Toullie's push cart and accessories and it just worked...in realtime too! No pre-calculation or caching required!

I composited a couple of scenes in Fusion to add special lighting effects I wanted, and it was helpful that ASP lets you define Compositing Layers so I could render BG, FG and Character layers separately.

There are four LightWave scenes in Scareplane, which are the 727 exterior shots. Sergeant in scene 2 was drawn in ASP and mapped onto a polygon.

For the most part, I really liked using ASP. The vectors tools work really well for how they're meant to work, but not so good for freehand drawing so it gets a little awkward when you're creating frame-by-frame elements. On the plus side, it's really easy to reuse elements you've already drawn and modify them for other scenes. Rigging characters and props is really easy. While it would be ideal to create a single rig that does everything, I found that it was far more efficient to have a simple rig that could be easily modifed for specific situations.

One major shortcoming is that you can only edit animation keys for a single layer at a time in 9.5, which isn't very efficient and it can get confusing with complicated animations. Fortunately, this issue is apparently going away in version 10.

Version 10 is also adding some new drawing tools that may make drawing FBF elements easier, and many enhancements are being added to the current bones and IK system. A user at the Anime Studio forum found a list of new features here: http://2danimator.ru/showthread.php?t=7658

If anybody is interested, I'll make a video showing how some of the scenes in Scareplane were put together.

G

one of these days you have to add a rough 1 minute breakdown as well...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

strict rules..!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I dig this style a lot. Great comic used of sound. I'm working on my own short with ASP as well, getting faster at it, just like you I hope to learn its secrets as I go. I hope you do more in the Brudders series with ASP.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yes, we plan to do more Brudders 2D cartoons (as well as more cgi shorts using LightWave.) We just need to figure out a faster way to make them.

G.

iPi Mocap Studio 3 and Kinect 2 for Windows

So far 2014 has been an incredibly busy year for freelancing but the work may be be winding down for the summer. Whew! I'm looking forward to the 'break', which really means we'll be starting up 'B2' again. (Yes, this is how I relax.)

To prepare for it, I purchased a third Kinect for Windows because iPi Mocap Studio now supports three sensors (in addition to the three Move controllers for hands and head.) In theory, using three Kinect sensors should virtually eliminate occlusion issues and improve the quality of our capture data considerably. Can't wait to start testing it.

Meanwhile, one of the developers at iPi Software revealed info about the upcoming iPi Mocap Studio 3:

Kinect 2 looks promising, but there are no dramatic improvements. To summarize:

- Approximately the same working distance (up to 5m)
    - Slightly larger capture area thanks to a wider FOV
    - Better resolution and accuracy of depth measurements - thus, improved tracking accuracy
    - Less overall noise, though there is some noise at the corners of the image
    - No noticeable mutual interference when using multiple sensors

New Kinect SDK allows to track up to 6 actors (for a reliable tracking, they all should primarily face the sensor). This may be useful in some other applications. However, we do not use the skeletal tracking provided by Kinect SDK, so there is still 2 actors limit in our software.
    To me, the most encouraging part of this post is where it mentions using multiple Kinect 2 sensors. I had previously heard that using multiple Kinect 2 sensors might not work but apparently it does. Cool beans! The bit at the end regarding six actors should be good news for Nevron Motion users, which does use the Kinect SDK skeletal system.

iPi Mocap Studio 3 and Kinect 2 for Windows are expected to come out this summer.

G.

let me know what you find out about using 3 kinects. calibration seems like it may be a little tricky.
    illuminatedtools.com My great light probe Library.

Will do.

FYI, calibration with three Kinects is the same as when using PS3 Eye cameras--a Maglite in candlestick mode instead of waving a flat plane. This is the pattern I used several years ago when I was still using the four PS3 Eye cams configuration and it worked well at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlG1_65s2_c

I haven't tried this with three Kinects yet but I imagine the same pattern will work for it. The tricky bit with this type of calibration is keeping the light visible to all cameras. Some users work around this by attaching the Maglite to a pole, like a hand held mic boom.

G.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast