Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Brudders 2' Production Log (Well, sort of...)

iPi Soft released an important update to iPi Recorder yesterday. I had hoped to work with it in the evening but it just got too late...I really need to get some sleep.

Anyway, yesterday's update dropped the requirement for the third-party 'Motion-In-Joy' drivers for the PS Move motion controllers that we currently use for head and hand tracking. Why is this important? Well it may make a difference for users who want to add multiple PS Move/Wii Motion devices more easily under Win 10, and who wish to use modern low-cost USB Bluetooth adapters instead of a specific discontinued model.

First, the problems with using 'Motion-In-Joy': 1.) When Windows 8 came out, many USB Bluetooth adapters suddenly became incompatible with iPi Recorder. This wasn't iPi's fault, it was that manufacturers apparently switched to native Windows Bluetooth drivers which did not support 'unofficial' devices like the PS Move. This lack of support continued into Windows 10. So, in order to make PS Move controllers work under Windows 10, we had to use an unofficial third party driver/program called Motion-In-Joy (MIJ). 2.) The MIJ project was abandoned by its developer years ago. 3.) As an unsupported and unofficial driver package, MIJ is a little fussy to set up under Win 10, and it might possibly pose a security risk to some users. There are ways to prevent this but it's a genuine concern. 4.) Apparently, the only supported USB BT adapter for PS Move/Wii Motion was the ASUS BT211, which was discontinued many years ago and is generally sold at a ridiculous premium if you can find it.

If you could deal with all that, this 'hacked' multi-PS Move controller system worked and it worked well, but my biggest worry was that the MIJ drivers would eventually break under a future Windows 10 update and I'd be SOL.

Thankfully, iPi Soft found a way to make this work properly using the native Microsoft drivers. In theory, this should widen support for almost any currently marketed BT adapter. And with the support of official Microsoft drivers, we should expect better stability and increased security than we had with MIJ. I tell ya, iPi Soft just keep making this stuff better and better.

I haven't been able to test the native driver support personally yet--will do that this weekend and report here. Another user at the iPi forums already reported that the new driver support is working perfectly for his set up.

It got too late to record anything last night with the updated software but I did get to try out the new adapter support early this morning. Well sort of. I removed MIJ as soon as my computer booted up and installed the new iPi Recorder update. Then I switched on my three PS Moves and launched the new Recorder.

And there they were, ready to go!

This looks very promising. I still need to check if they will appear after a reboot, and I'll run through a complete test tonight or early tomorrow. (Then, it's back to recording motions for our film.)

I never installed MIJ on my other computer (the Windows 10 tablet,) but I'll give the new iPi Recorder with the three PS Move controllers a try there too.

Great updates, thanks as ever the peeks into your creations.

Apologies in advance if I'm confusing thread topics here, but were you one of the folks experimenting with the Perception Neuron system, or are you focusing on using iPi for your work? I scrolled back a few pages and found no mention of the Neuron but figured I'd ask.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

No, I don't have the Perception setup; that's Erikals. But I am curious about that system. Over on the iPi forums, the iPi developers briefly mentioned looking into possibly adding Perception to their system. I think the idea is to use Mocap Studio and Kinect for improved positional tracking since inertial-only systems can sometimes get 'floaty' in the legs.

The big update I did for our current system was trying to go from dual/triple Kinect For Windows (v1) to four Kinect One (v2) sensors. That initially caused a setback to the production because using four v2 sensors turned out to be way too demanding on my computer setup and I wasted a lot of time trying to make it work. But after all that, I'm pleased to see that two v2 sensors is working fine with my computers and it still produces higher quality mocap over the old dual v1 setup.

BTW, this is still while simultaneously capturing data from the three PS Move controllers to record head and wrist rotations. I think the new higher res Kinect data may possibly allow iPi Mocap studio to track head data but the PS Move data might still be more accurate. TBD.

A lot has changed since I started this thread so one of these days, I'll do a complete review and walk-through of the current mocap system. Stay tuned!

Oh, something just occurred to me. My Windows tablet that I use for the second Kinect One sensor has built-in Bluetooth support. I wonder if the new Recorder update makes the built-in Bluetooth compatible with the PS Move controllers.

That would keep the tablet's USB 3.0 controller dedicated to Kinect One data. Will post more info as I find out.

Frequenter
    Hi Greenlaw, thanks for sharing your findings. I am just about to delve into this stuff (Kinect [one v1, still on Win7] and adptors lying about but haven´t had the time test run it yet...) but I am absolutely sure that your posts will help tremendously! Great Stuff!

Glad I'm posting this to the right crowd. I hope this info has been helpful or at least kind of interesting.

This morning I tried pairing a PS Move controller to my Windows 10 tablet through iPi Recorder. It didn't show up immediately so connected the controller via USB cable. After pressing the refresh button, the Controller popped up in Recorder's devices panel. Yay! I went through the pairing process, removed the USB cable, and the controller seemed to be working fine with Recorder. As a matter of fact, at this stage I'm supposed to calibrate the device but surprisingly, it seems to already be calibrated. I'll try pairing the two other PS Move controllers to the tablet this afternoon, and I'll run proper calibrations with them to be sure.

If you're wondering, calibrating a PS Move controller is easy--a wizard will walk you through the process. First, lay the controller down on a flat surface and press the PS button. Shortly after, Recorder will ask you to pick up the controller and turn it in every direction, including upside down. When you think you've done enough, press the PS button again and you're good to go. Once you're set up, the controllers will always be available to Recorder, no need to re-pair them to your computer again unless you paired them with another device since the last time.

I tell ya, this is so much easier than messing around with MIJ's third party drivers. Maybe more importantly, I feel the life of this hardware just got officially renewed by iPi Soft and Windows 10!

Unfortunately, my Kinect One now seemed to be off-line. iPi Recorder said it was in 'error-state'. Whatever that means, it didn't sound good. I checked the Kinect Configuration Tool and it seemed to recognize the device but said it wasn't receiving any depth or color data from the device. I tried reinstalling Recorder, disconnecting the sensor, trying a different USB port, restarting the computer, and swapping out with a different Kinect sensor, but nothing worked.

Finally I shut down the tablet completely, unplugged the Kinect and reconnected it, and rebooted the tablet. Configuration now showed Depth and Color coming in. I launched Recorder, and everything was fine...including the PS Move. Whew!

So, what was the point of pairing the PC Move controllers to the tablet when I already had it working with the workstation?

Well, partly just to see if I could, but also to be sure that the new setup was really using only the native drivers since since I never installed MIJ on the tablet. This checked out.

Another reason is because, when it comes to Kinect One capture, this Windows tablet easily outperforms my workstation. That is, both computers work with Kinect One, I can see the tablet is having a much easier time maintaining maximum frame rates with both Depth and RGB channels enabled. This is mostly because the tablet (a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 with i7,) is a much newer computer with built-in USB 3.0, and my workstation is at least 6 years old and is a Frankenstein of parts that were never meant to go inside its case. So, until I can afford a new workstation, I'mconsidering making the tablet my master recording computer.

Then again, I'll still be doing the tracking process on the workstation because it has a better graphics card needed the physics calculations, and it may turn out to be more convenient to have both Recorder and Mocap Studio on the same box--Recorder can send files to Mocap Studio over the network just fine but it's probably faster and easier to do this locally on the same box.

Just looking for the most efficient workflow. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, duh...if I move the PS Move controllers to the tablet, that does not mean it has to become the Master computer. It can still be a Slave computer, it just gets more tasks to perform. This means the workstation running Recorder in Master mode may then have an easier time with its Kinect One capture since it won't have to also deal with capturing data from the three PS Move controllers.

So I think I will be moving all the PS Move controllers to the tablet after all.

Glad I'm writing these notes in this thread. It helps me sort out the jumble in my head. (Hey, I just made a rhyme. Boom boom bap. Weeka weeka weeka...)

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    ...Glad I'm writing these notes in this thread. It helps me sort out the jumble in my head. (Hey, I just made a rhyme. Boom boom bap. Weeka weeka weeka...)
    I know exactly what you even if its mostly my co-workers that have to suffer from me calling them over and explaining to them... :-}
    However, if it helps: keep the stuff coming. ;-)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    (Hey, I just made a rhyme. Boom boom bap. Weeka weeka weeka...)
    Calm down, Fozzie Bear.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I'm using 11.6. I cannot delete the hairstyle from my model, I can't rename it, I can't create a new one and I can't make any modifications stay. "Edit Guides" seems to not work after the first go. Any hints? Thank you!
    Last edited by mijaba; 12-22-2016 at 11:12 AM.

hi, maybe if you share parts of the scene, we can have a look...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by mijaba View Post
    I'm using 11.6. I cannot delete the hairstyle from my model, I can't rename it, I can't create a new one and I can't make any modifications stay. "Edit Guides" seems to not work after the first go. Any hints? Thank you!
    Are hairstyles implicit to the mesh, or the Scene? If the scene (LWS), perhaps you can ascii edit the file to at least delete the reference.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I was asked in another thread if the Brudders music video was still on for a 2017 release.

Rather than committing to a specific release date (which I'm sorry to say I haven't been good at for this project,) I'm going post regular status updates here so we can all track its progress. I think this may provide interesting insights on the 'indie production' process, and the entries should help me get back on track more quickly when those inevitable scheduling conflicts arise.

The truth is, this Frankenstein project evolved into a bigger monster than I originally intended. When I first thought about making this music video, it was going to be a throwaway 'machinima' thing animated in iClone. But the version of iClone I had at the time (version 3, I think) didn't allow me to import custom character geometry, so I scrapped that approach and went back to LightWave. Then, as other artists, developers, and even neighborhood kids got involved with it, I felt the pressure to amp up the production quality. And here I am, still working on it.

That said, this entire production was carefully planned out years ago from start to finish. I just need to stop goofing off and finish the darn thing.

So, what's up? Where are we, and where to we go from here?

One thing that's been killing the schedule is feature creep. Every time a new cool piece of hardware or software came out, I got sidetracked into figuring how to apply it to this production. I'm going to try and avoid that now and just work with what I have and know how to use.

A prime example is motion capture editing. I toyed with switching from Motion Builder 2011 to Webanimate (standalone version) or iClone 7 with 3DXchange Pipeline. I still want to do that but, for this project I'm going to stick with my established workflow. I'll post my experiences with these other mocap editors when I'm start working on my next 'mocap' movie.

Another thing that held up production was when my Eyeon Fusion 6 crapped out after Window 10 came out. I thought about switching to After Effects for the remainder of the project but the established 'Brudders' look and workflow depended too much on Fusion, and I really didn't have the stomach to re-develop all that for AE. Fusion is awesome with how it handles EXR and auxialiary buffers. By contrast, even though I really like working in After Effects too, its EXR workflow is actually kinda awful. So I've been saving up money to buy a BlackMagic Design Fusion 8 upgrade, and yesterday I finally got my new Fusion dongle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusion8Pic.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	137039

BTW, BMD's new dongle license is fantastic in its simplicity. I just plugged it in and Fusion works. No messing with drivers or adding key files to the registry. TBH, I've never been a fan of dongles but in this case, BMD had done it right. Also, the Fusion installer installed Generations (which uses the same dongle,) and unlimited Fusion render nodes. That's awesome. With Eyeon, I had to pay for six additional render nodes and maintenance. And speaking of maintenance, there is no fee--just the one time charge, the way it's supposed to be. And, of course, the free version is still available, which does have almost everything most users will ever need for VFX compositing. Commerical or free version, I highly recommend Fusion to anybody serious about VFX.

And last weekend I reactivated my iPi Mocap Studio 3.0 license, and I tested the dual Kinect One sensors and multiple Move controllers. Everything checks out and we're ready to go there too.

So, except for family stuff and occasional late nights at work, I have few reasons not to be working on this film now.

Short answer about the 2017 release: Well, I'm sure as heck going to try.

Next time: In two weeks, I'll post a breakdown of the segments of the production, and explain how I'm going to tackle each part, try to estimate how long that will take, consider the numbers, and then double or triple my estimate. (Everything always takes longer than I first think it will.) Maybe I can post pics of props for the live action segment too.

In the meantime, please check out my two recent demo reels. (It's what I do when I'm not working this silly stuff.)

First, here's some of my DreamWorks Animation stuff from 2015 to 2017:

I mostly create 2D animation these days but, yes, there's some LightWave stuff in there too.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast