Thread: Shiny Metal

Shiny Metal

Hi,

I am trying to make some shiny metal font, I have applied some preset metal textures such as Silver Raytrace and Chrome and put the Reflection up, and have put in a variety of reflection maps in the environment tab, but although
    it looks great in modeller with the GL reflection shaders it doesn't look that shiny or reflective in layout. Even when I put textured object right in front of the font to hopefully get some nice reflections going it still looks quite matt.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Those presets are very old. Try this:

Use Imageworld with an HDR image, and set your text's surface to use a Conductor node attached to the Material input in the Node Editor. Set its specularity high and add a little roughness. Use VPR to track how it looks as you adjust.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thanks for that approach, I have never really used the Nodes before, but the effect is great it's definitely a area I need to learn more about.
    LW 11 is really cool a great improvement over version 9 in so many ways, though only problem is the font size really need to be able to be made bigger, not a lot just slightly, this can make an enourmous difference to functionality. If Photoshop can do it I'am sure Lightwave can as well.

- - - Updated - - -