Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are my limits in creating virtual sets when it comes to Photoshop?

What are my limits in creating virtual sets when it comes to Photoshop?

Sorry, I know that is a broad question. My company has just purchased a Tricaster 455 and I am toying around in Photoshop, trying to make a unique set for our videos. I have an ok time altering the example PSDs that were included, but still don't fully understand how they are built or how I could make my own from scratch. Basically, I am having a confusing time, through my own research, figuring out what can be accomplished with a set designed PURELY in PS. My biggest questions as of now are: 1) Can a set designed in PS utilize the zoom feature (and if so,how)? and 2) How does the UV gradient work for creating real time reflections?

I know there are not going to be simple answers to either of these, but I am having a very hard time finding information that clearly describes these processes. I was hoping to find a video tutorial of someone doing these things but had no luck. If anyone can start me on the right track here, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Read the manual for VSE which should answer most of your questions. Photoshop is only where you lay everything out and then VSE is where you add the zoom and and other attributes as well creating the LiceSet.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Check out this article too... I wrote it for the NewTek magazine for VSE 1, but most of the concepts still apply. It's on page 10.

http://digital.turn-page.com/i/61737

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Thank you guys - I will check those out and reply if I have further questions (which is very likely, ha ha).

Ok guys - so far so good - but I have run across another problem I cannot figure out. I made a virtual set with a desk. Everything works fine except where my input A is (where I would key in someone sitting at the desk), it just becomes a black square instead of transparent. So I am seeing my subject behind the desk, but with a black square between them and the background. Does that makes sense?

Oops, nevermind - realized I didn't check "keyable" for the input. DUH!

Ok, new problem, LOL - certain curved shapes in my PS file come out with very pixelated edges in VSE - anyone know how to help that?

Anyone? I have tried as many different ways I can to fix this - anything curved/diagonal looks great in PS, but when brought into VSE has jagged edges!

Anti-aliasing can pose a number of thorny issues. I'm probably not the best one to offer guidance, and there are as many workarounds as there are issues ... but the simplest solution is often to simply stick a 'bezel' overlay in another layer. Otherwise, you might try posting a couple of images demonstrating the exact problem you're trying to resolve.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the reply - here is the issue I am having (the color difference is because the second pic is a cell phone photo of the monitor):

How it looks in PS:

And how it looks in VSE:

You can see the "stepping" along the bottom edge of the grey area.

I'm not really 100% clear on what I'm seeing here. I assume the 'logo' on the bg wall in the upper image is a simple bitmap, not a stand-in for an input layer? If that's correct, is it in a separate layer in the PSD file? If so, why? (not that it should really matter) And why is it so blue in the VSE shot (assuming the cell phone shot shows the VSE canvas).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Sorry, I should have specified what was in the picture. The grey area is the front of a desk I designed. It is sitting on a wood floor. The desk is it's own layer, and the wood floor is the background. I have a keyable input layer (not seen in the above pics) between the two. Everything works just how I want it to, except for the rounded/diagonal shapes becoming jagged when I bring them in VSE.

The VSE image looks blue because the cell phone pic has crappy lighting. The color looks fine in real life.
    Last edited by Heecubus114; 02-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.

That helps, at least up to a point - thanks. (I assume the shadow is burnt into the background layer?) I'm not really sure, frankly, why you're seeing thee jaggies. Have you checked to see whether that actually happens in the compiled result applied in TriCaster? There might be some decimation going on in the VSE canvas.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I have checked - it looks the same in the Tricaster as in VSE. I just took that bit as an example of the problem - it is happening in various places though. I have a photograph I am using as the background (outside of some windows) and the diagonal edges of the buildings have the same jagged-ness (keep in mind this in a photo - not something designed with PS). I was thinking it might be a pixel aspect problem - but I toyed around with that and saw no real difference there...

Quote Originally Posted by Heecubus114 View Post
    (keep in mind this in a photo - not something designed with PS).
    That's interesting. What sort of resolution is the source image?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast