Thread: OSX Render Service (LWSN bash script) - easy batch rendering!

OSX Render Service (LWSN bash script) - easy batch rendering!

In the past month I've been dealing with well over a hundred different animations and scene files for a pre-rendered game, and quickly grew tired of having to render from within Layout, or far worse, trying to use the Lightwave ScreamerNet interface to render batches of scenes.

Render LWSN is an automator action that makes it a little easier! Basically...you right-click any number of LWS files in Finder, click "Render LWSN", and...that's it. The files are rendered automatically, and I can finally get render queues started in seconds instead of minutes or hours.

Features:

• Simple Finder service with easy editing and customising in Automator (yes, it does require a few preferences to be set before it's ready to run).

• Automatically sets up the scene settings and sends the entire queue to LWSN sequentially.

• Can notify you of scene and/or batch completion via Growl notifications (including passing off to Notification Centre in OSX Mountain Lion), Prowl push notifications (to any iOS device with the Prowl app), and email (to any valid email, though I've only tested it on a closed office network).

Limitations:

• This is a "dumb" service. It'll start the renders, and let you know when they're finished, but it won't give you progress indication, current time spent rendering, or estimated time to completion.

• If no render output is specified, LWSN will continue to render the entire animation without raising any concerns. Once it's done, you'll find that nothing was saved (rendering to an image sequence is significantly safer anyway, and in this case it lets you manually check progress as well).

• It cannot manage network rendering, nor does it include other options (though it's easy enough to modify the bash script if you so desire).

• It does not support other rendering types such as arbitrary ranges. Just the basic start/end frames.

• LWSN depends on preference files saved by Layout to determine render settings. You will need to shut down Layout after making changes to ensure the updates are saved. Once saved, you can run Layout while a render is in progress without any issues (in fact, I've sometimes set the render cores to exactly half the workstation capacity so I can render in the background via "Render LWSN" while continuing to work in Layout - works great!).

Installation:

• Double-click on the workflow file, OSX should ask you if you want to install it or open it in Automator. Choose "open".

• Scroll through the documentation for further notes, and to set up the preferences. Pay special attention to the LWSN location, any necessary API keys and email addresses (required for some of the notifications to work), and other user-specific settings.

• Save, close, and then double-click on the file again, this time choosing "install".

• OSX should immediately update services menu, allowing you to see the option to "Render LWSN" when selecting files in Finder and then right-clicking. If not, I'd recommend rebooting. OSX doesn't like to update services very often (aggressive caching, it seems), so if you make changes to "Render LWSN" after it has been installed, updates will fail to work for a bit. You may have to force a service refresh using the Terminal with pbs -flush and pbs -update.

I've posted the free download over on the Vectorform Labs blog!

Enjoy.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - tutorials

Version 1.2 Update:

The LWSN service can now label scene files in the Finder based on their place in the render queue. By default, all queued files will be labeled orange until they begin rendering, at which point the label will change to red. Once a scene is finished rendering it will be labeled blue. It's been a huge help as I manage large numbers of scene files and render tasks, and of course you can customise your label settings by editing the service in Apple Automator.

You can download the updated OS X Service from the Vectorform Labs post.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - tutorials

Thanks will give it a try
    MAC Pro 12 core OS X 10.9 ATI 7950 32GIG RAM & Nvidia GTX570