Thread: Swift3d

Swift3d

Does Swift3 still exist for LW? Is anyone using it with 11?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Done:

http://www.erain.com/Products/LW/

I haven't used it in years and now that Flash is pretty much dead, can't see much use for it at all unfortunately.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Right now I need something similar for a print job where the final output is almost 20 meters long and 2 meters high so doing it as raster is a huge waste
    of resources since the thing is just a giant blueprint of white line depicting machinery. I have to use maya since LW does not offer a solution.

Why not render out a raster at a large resolution (not that large obviously) and take the render into Illustrator and autotrace to make a vectorial version?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Done:

http://www.erain.com/Products/LW/

I haven't used it in years and now that Flash is pretty much dead, can't see much use for it at all unfortunately.
    Thanks for the link. It looks like they stopped development.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    Thanks for the link. It looks like they stopped development.
    No problem. Wish I had better news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Right now I need something similar for a print job where the final output is almost 20 meters long and 2 meters high so doing it as raster is a huge waste
    of resources since the thing is just a giant blueprint of white line depicting machinery. I have to use maya since LW does not offer a solution.

Can you export to OBJ and open that in Photoshop? I'm not sure if Illustrator supports that or not.

I believe the last version of LW it was compatible with was v9.x.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Why not render out a raster at a large resolution (not that large obviously) and take the render into Illustrator and autotrace to make a vectorial version?

B
    Yes I know but it's not the same still. There are lots of tiny details which would be nice to preserve. Nevertheless I use tracing for scanned machinery images but I need also
    very clean precise state of the art CGI renders as well.

If you don't need the rendered version or the perspective version, you may be better off exporting one of the wireframe views as an eps which would then import into illustrator or photoshop.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Silkrooster View Post
    If you don't need the rendered version or the perspective version, you may be better off exporting one of the wireframe views as an eps which would then import into illustrator or photoshop.
    Thanks! I try that.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Be careful with Illustrator and large files like that, especially if you have text on there. I know it's vector, but Illy slows to a crawl when you get to a certain size (and I believe it has a limit on artboard size). That's why most sign companies either use tools specifically designed for large displays or something like CorelDraw, which can handle almost any size "canvas".

I would more likely believe the number of objects and any raster images or effects would affect the speed before the size of the document would. I can see hitting the limit but for the speed its the same number of vertices whether its large or small.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Thanks for the extra info guys, I guess I will just scale up the thing when it's done.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkrooster View Post
    I would more likely believe the number of objects and any raster images or effects would affect the speed before the size of the document would. I can see hitting the limit but for the speed its the same number of vertices whether its large or small.
    Obviously, the more stuff you put in the document will affect it's size. Something to remember also is that Illustrator CS6 has a max document size of 227.54 inches. Back when I was using CorelDraw (version 8), I could go much, much bigger, like 120+ feet.