Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKYFALL DB5 Modelled with Lightwave

SKYFALL DB5 Modelled with Lightwave

Hello fellow Lightwavers.

My name is Jet and I thought you would like to see what we are doing with Lightwave in the film industry....
    There is a lot of focus on the CG side of Lightwave and at times, perhaps not enough on the power of Lightwave's modeller.

I freelance for a company called, 'Propshop Model Makers' at Pinewood Studios UK. Propshop caters for all of the surrounding studios as well.
    My roll at Propshop is to model for the film industry. We then, in turn, 3D print or CNC these 3D models to create hero props for many films. Thor2, Prometheus, Red2, Maleficent, Zero Dark 30, Fast and Furious 6 etc
    Propshop has the second largest format 3D printer currently available - capable of printing over one meter at a time.

It is this 3D printer (Voxeljet) that we used to print the larger parts of the 1.5 miniature used in Skyfall. Smaller detailed parts such as the dash components, Rims etc were produced on a Projet printer.

As you can appreciate, I could not dismantle and scan the existing Bond car so I had to photograph the body and all of the components in order to model over the top.

Once printed, the skilled team of prop makers assembled the parts to produce the DB5 stunt doubles that you see in the movie.... 8 )

I hope that you enjoy the pictures.

If you have any questions please contact me on [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Propshop Aston DB5_4.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	768.2 KB 
ID:	110389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Propshop Aston DB5_3.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	110390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Propshop Aston DB5_2.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	537.4 KB 
ID:	110391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Propshop Aston DB5_1.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	463.4 KB 
ID:	110392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB5 3D Bits 4 Printing_Small.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	110393  

Beautiful
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Bravo,.. I saw the fact that these were scale models used in the film.. didn't know a LW'er was modelling them. Great work, and way to represent.

st3.

I was totally amazed a few months ago when I read about the DB5 being a 3D printed model. Now I am even happier to know it was done with LW.

Wow That's so cool to see, and even cooler to know that it is done in LW

I believe this work and your other stuff qualifies as a Lightwave story. Have you submitted anything to them?

loverly!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keep-calm-and-use-lightwave-4.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	110444

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Beautifully done and such skill. So glad to know it wasn't a real DB5 they used in the end scene in Skyfall!

This needs a LW story indeed, nice bit of marketing for Lightwave Group.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

LWG's PR people are aware of these prop work posts so we'll see what happens.

I`m sure that You need to go thru long check list while modeling something for "3d printing". What are the limitations ? What rules You must obey in this type of work ?

beautiful work!
    remote render--Fox renderfarm
    (http://www.foxrenderfarm.com)
    2,000 servers,each has 2 Intel Xeon E5645 processors,24-64GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by fazi69 View Post
    I`m sure that You need to go thru long check list while modeling something for "3d printing". What are the limitations ? What rules You must obey in this type of work ?
    Hi Fazi69,

I guess the main rule is that the models must be sealed watertight for 3D printing. Parts can be thin (500 um) but are delicate and must be made with tolerances in mind, eg. plating, paint etc.
    I guess the most important lesson that I have learnt is careful planing.

Regards, Jet 8 )

awesome!

Very cool to see an actual film project that LightWave has been used in... especially something SOOO cool as this!

Did you model the whole car, or the lights and rims? And why LightWave over any other software?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Very cool to see an actual film project that LightWave has been used in... especially something SOOO cool as this!

Did you model the whole car, or the lights and rims? And why LightWave over any other software?
    Hello Lardbros.

I modelled the whole car - body, tyres, bolt ons and interior... first I would run down to the studio where the full size Bond DB5 was, (50 yards lol) and photograph and measure parts.
    I'd place the photo in modeller and build over the top. With large parts like the body - I would model in sections to allow for camera distortion. When the part was modelled - I would resize it to a third scale of my measurements. Hardest part was that I could not disassemble the dash etc - which would have made life easier. Aston did not have blueprints for me as the DB5 was hand made over jigs etc.

Why Lightwave? Well, for me, I'm an old mans these days... 43 and self taught. I started with LW Version 3 back in the days of the Amiga 4000... LOL.
    I have tried a lot of other modellers and I still use Lightwave. It is faster for me than any other package. (please note I said 'for me').
    Studios have asked me to use other pipelines but, after I demo what I can achieve in Lightwave, they let me use it instead...

I've used it in Thor 2, Fast and furious 6, Maleficent, Wraith of the Titans etc.... it's my weapon of choice.
    Regards, Jet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast