Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get transparency when Conductor-Node is connected to Surface-Node: Material

XswampyX,
    Funny video, very well done! Thank you for the info on your gradients. I have tested
    the settings on a simple pipe and it works perfectly well, but when I apply it to the
    object I am working on then I donīt get the transparency. The object also has an inner
    surface that may cause this. But I think that it shouldnīt interfere as the normals are
    inwards. It confuses me a bit.

I am sorry I canīt show the outcome as this is a clients product still in development,
    so I have to go on struggling on my own with the settings.

Thanks for kind support!

No problem CarlieL.

Make sure you don't have the "double sided" check box ticked for you 'inner' pipe surface.

If somebody will read this thread later on I want to add the outcome of my question:

I wanted to achieve local transparency around an object moving inside a pipe, but not fully transparent so
    I had to divide the surface on the inner pipe surface. The backside (counted from camera) got an ordinary
    galvanized surface, but the front had to be the special transparent galvanized surface mixed with the dielectric
    node.

First I expected that as the normals of the inner surface was inwards then should the camera see through that
    surface. But that did not work. At first I had a standard galvanized surface on the inner part, but I could not find
    any settings that showed the inner object. Not before I also changed the inner surface to the same as the
    outer with the local transparency. Then it worked.

As the rendering now gave full local transparency I had to divide the surface of inner pipe into two different surfaces,
    where the back-side (from Camera) was set to standard galvanized, and the front-side to the same as the outer
    pipeīs surface with the local transparency. This way one could look into the pipe but not through it.

I enclose the scene if you would like to play with it. If the Item Info-node is missing its object then you can choose the
    "NullTranspPOS" or the "Object" in order to get the local transparency. It disappeared a few times for me, donīt know why.

Thank you, all contributors that helped me solving my problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Local_transparency.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	110915Test_Galv_Pipe_transp.lwoTest_moving_transp-map.lws

I had a quick look at your scene & object files.

Your geometry on your pipe isn't very good. You have made two solid cylinders not a cylinder with a hole in it.
    This makes what you are trying to do.... very difficult/confusing.

Here's the scene with a real tube to replace yours.

Have a look. Hopefully it will make more sense.

Goodluck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Here's the scene with a real tube to replace yours.
    Have a look. Hopefully it will make more sense.
    Goodluck!
    Hmm, in the original scene I then must have made some other errors. Because in that one there were no ends.
    Thanks for making this clear to me. I will study your scene. Now, I will not forget the difference between a pipe
    and cylinder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12