Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layout UI in LW10.1 gets weird colors

Layout UI in LW10.1 gets weird colors

I have installed LW 10.1, 64-bit on a ASUS laptop with 64-bit Win7, but I have never got it to behave
    as expected on this computer, therefore I mainly produce on another 64-bit Vista machine at work.
    Modeler is alright, but Layout is curious. I can only start Layout directly from the Program Files-folder
    on my E-disk. The configs are located at my C-disk (User/.Newtek).

If I start from any shortcut, like in the Win 7 Start-up menu, the Layout UI gets weird colors (black,
    magenta, cyan and so on). I must start directly from Layout.exe in the bin-folder in order to get it working.
    Every time. If I next time use any shortcut when starting Layout the problems are back again. When I get
    those strange colors I shut it down and delete the confings, then I can start from the bin-folder,
    but it is very annoying.

Modeler seems to behave right so modeling is possible to do at home, but Layout makes me frustrated.
    Can I do something more than deleting the Layout configs in order to stop this happen all the time?

I have read that 10.0 configs must be avoided, but as I delete the 10.1 configs the 10.0-s are not involved.
    Any suggestion?

Have you tried making shortcuts that make use of the -c flag to redirect your configs to a different folder?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    Have you tried making shortcuts that make use of the -c flag to redirect your configs to a different folder?
    Well it is more than a year back that I made the install, but as I remember it I used the -c method.
    However at some time I got troubles with Layout. In fact I havenīt used LW much on my laptop, but
    now it would be handy to also do some work at home.

As I donīt have older LW-versions installed on this laptop I expected LW to work without a hassle
    "out of the box", and not need any extra measures. It seems now that a total reinstall with the -c flag
    is the only way out of this. I will test that, because now I always have to delete the configs before
    starting Layout, otherwise I will get those weird colors.

Thanks Nickdigital for commenting. It helps me to think right.

There is no install with -c flag. That's something you can add/remove at any time and it just redirect configs file to desired location (usually into Lw folder to be self-contained).

mine is set this way (onto LW Icon)

C:\LW11\bin\Layout.exe -i -cC:\LW11\configs\
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There is no install with -c flag. That's something you can add/remove at any time and it just redirect configs file to desired location (usually into Lw folder to be self-contained).
    Thanks Lewis,
    But the curious thing is then why I get these strange UI-colors as I only have one location for
    the configs. They are in C:\Users\.NewTek\LightWave\10\ but the applications are in
    E:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave10. C-drive is a SSD-type and E-drive is a traditional
    harddrive, but that shouldnīt matter in this case.

I canīt get into my head that redirecting the configs to the E-drive would make any difference,
    as I do not have any other LW-configs that could confuse. Maybe some error in my install?

Can you post screengrab of "strange colors". I'm not sure do you thing about Colorspace change or somethign else.

Can you try to switch color-space to Linear and then then check ? Maybe you used some monitor colorprofile in LW ?
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Can you post screengrab of "strange colors". I'm not sure do you thing about Colorspace change or somethign else.

Can you try to switch color-space to Linear and then then check ? Maybe you used some monitor colorprofile in LW ?
    This is how it looks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - Lightwave_Layout_Win7-64bit.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	110178

As far as I know I have not made any changes to colorspace. It is a bit hard to navigate in the UI now as it is so weird.
    Maybe tonight I get time to check up the details.

Thank you Lewis for your effort.

well that is weird, I've never seen such ugly colorscheme in LW .

So you say if you start directly from layout.exe then it's fine ? If that's case then must be configs issue somehow 'coz shortcut is redirecting layout to read configs form some location and those seem to be broken .
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    Thanks Marcus,
    That thread made it a lot clearer. I have to look into this again tonight and make my hands dirty.
    Now I know what it is about.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieL View Post
    Thanks Marcus,
    That thread made it a lot clearer. I have to look into this again tonight and make my hands dirty.
    Now I know what it is about.

Thank you.
    Were you able to figure this out. It's happening to me too!

thanks,

Powersolo
    "Play nice!"

Quote Originally Posted by randysolo View Post
    Were you able to figure this out. It's happening to me too!

thanks,

Powersolo
    I tried to solve it but havenīt had the time to go deeper into it. It is about changes in the
    10.1 version versus 10.0.
    I tried to change the LW10-64.CFG That is the Layout configs. But that effort did not solve it.
    It is about that the colorspace definitions are getting wrong.

I am not so fond of the c- thing, when you make a search path to an alias. Because if you start
    from another alias, for example the Start-menu, then the problem returns. One must always use
    the right alias. That is easy to oversee.

Now I just throw away the config-file and start up clean. A drawback is that I have to do search for files
    and so because Layout does not remember what I have done last. If you add any plugins it may not
    remember it so you have to reinstall it next time again. Another way is not to quit Layout ;-)

So now I have a routine that before I start Layout I will always delete LW10-64.CFG
    Modeler works as expected, so there is no problem with that.

I have to look into this problem again when I get the time.

Blog Entries
    The difference is the way the color space information gets stored between 10 and 10.1. If i remember correctly in the difference is using quotes in the (.lws) scene files. I believe if you remove those colorspace lines it should work. Just remember to set the color space settings once you do and save. Moral of the story, stay in either 10 or 10.1 don't go back in forth or stuff can get messed up. Hope that helps.

-chris
    My Lscript Collection | LinkedIn
    3D Generalist IGT

Quote Originally Posted by xchrisx View Post
    The difference is the way the color space information gets stored between 10 and 10.1.
    If i remember correctly in the difference is using quotes in the (.lws) scene files. I believe if you remove those
    colorspace lines it should work. Just remember to set the color space settings once you do and save. Moral of the
    story, stay in either 10 or 10.1 don't go back in forth or stuff can get messed up. Hope that helps.

-chris
    Well, I am not longer quite shure which version I am running. When I checked in About Lightwave it said
    Rev 2067 (Win64) 16-dec-2010. It doesnīt say if it is 10.0 or 10.1 and my colorspace is set to Linear everywhere.
    But I only have this version on my laptop and no other versions, so it is obvious to me that it is not the full truth
    that is presented. There must be other obstacles as well but I do not have the knowledge to sort it out.

Sorry to say I have become used to this. I have been with LW since version 5.0 on Mac (that hardly worked).
    Now I am on a PC but I canīt remember any update that just worked "out of the box". There have always been
    struggles and not so seldom I have got corrupted configs on an earlier version at update.

It is a hard thing to get a correct install of Lightwave. It needs experience and knowhow.

The problem happens when you load a 10.1 (or newer) scene in 10.0 or older Lightwave. The config gets confused with the new naming conventions of the color space and it gets screwed up. Recreate your configs by deleting them and restarting lightwave. Make a backup of the configs while you are at it. Or better yet, use a newer version of Lightwave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast