Thread: Nebula - Volumetric Lights

Nebula - Volumetric Lights

I know I'm not the first to post a nebula made in LightWave, but I'm really happy with how this turned out.

I basically set up a point light as a volumetric light, got the settings I wanted and cloned it to give the whole thing more mass.

I rendered to an EXR and adjusted the gamma/exposure in Photoshop, but otherwise this is how the render came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nebula_v001b_rgb0008.jpg 
Views:	1946 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	110113  
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

That's brilliant, now just add an impressive star field to make it complete (I'm sure you've come across it before but Greg Sullivan has an awesome tut for this).
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Gorgeous Nebula.

Looks like a flame frozen in time.

I prefer using sprite mode when acheiving nebulas since that gives a little more softer feel to it, unfortunatly I canīt find my posted
    nebula images since the search of the forums isnt doing a good job anymore.., and my images rendered are somewhere on another computer down at the moment.

A tip ...try to use your red shift color and select a blue color for procedural texture and orange color for volumetric light or vice versa, tweaking the redshift colors can then acheive some interesting color shift.

Very weird..canīt find my nebulas on these forums or in google?

ahh..found the thread...
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....97-Space-scene

images..volumetric lights sprite mode..
    http://forums.newtek.com/attachment....1&d=1290343651
    http://forums.newtek.com/attachment....3&d=1290343706
    I tend to use sprite mode as mentioned, and using displacement textures to undulate the details within the nebula, clone the light do some variations or mix with hypervoxels.

I will do some experimentations with turbulenceFD when I get the time, since that is the only technique that can yield those gas pillars
    shooting out with lingering drifts of dust/particles,.
    I just wish we could save out such simulations to a volume format that can be reloaded at any time rathere than some freezed cache.

I like the glowing inside of the nebula from dwburman.

Michael

Thanks for the links, Prometheus. I remember that thread. Very cool stuff. You certainly made some gorgeous ones.

I've been thinking about maybe doing some tutorials on nebs myself, but I have some more experimenting to do before that happens. There are a few different ways to go about making them.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Quote Originally Posted by dwburman View Post
    Thanks for the links, Prometheus. I remember that thread. Very cool stuff. You certainly made some gorgeous ones.

I've been thinking about maybe doing some tutorials on nebs myself, but I have some more experimenting to do before that happens. There are a few different ways to go about making them.
    Go ahead and do, a lot of people seem to want that, I myself was about to do it, but to much things have kept me from it, and for the moment I do not see it to be done in any recent time, the computer
    where I have the stuff is down, and Im only working on my portable computer and I do not want to install my recording device on that, so unfortunatly my recording sessions wonīt be off for quite some time.

I think some sort of Listing of different techniques could be of interest as a starter, like using geometry, node texturing like Jerrard does, volumetric lights, using hypervoxels sprite and volume mode on nulls, particles or using sprites on geometry, using fluids..and the classic plain painting nebulas in some paint program.

hereīs some recent test, not volumetric light..was experimenting with particle emission from objects then saving out pfx files, reload on to partigons which letīs you save out partigons as transformed objects..once
    reloaded you can add further displacement on to them, aded sprites ..and you kind of get that dust shooting look, (two first images) the others a plain simple voxel on null, gardner clouds procedural.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nebula tests.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	110405