Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes and Wrinkles

Eyes and Wrinkles

For anyone that was following my discussions about morph-driven textures, tension maps, FX Metalink, eyelid bulges and such, here's an update on my progress in those areas. I've improved upon and successfully transplanted my wrinkle node network onto my "test subject", although the Tension node seems to inhibit the generation of an mdd file (which is needed to synchronise the eybrows with the face morphs), so I can't have the fibers conforming to the wrinkle displacements unfortunately. FX Metalink just isn't cutting the mustard anyway - there needs to be a better way of locking mesh fibers to deforming surfaces.

And this is what the nodes ended up looking like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surface_nodes.jpg 
Views:	3237 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	109918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	displacement_nodes.jpg 
Views:	2443 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	109919

It's essentially two different ways of going about the same thing, but one is for bumps and the other for displacements. These allow you to apply sculpted or painted wrinkle maps to the base mesh where they are automatically animated, instead of having to add geometry and model them in.

On the downside, the scene has become quite unstable now; it crashes every time the scene is closed/new scene is loaded/LW is closed etc; frequent crashes when the render is stopped and/or re-started; lots of crashes using the node editor while VPR is open... that sort of thing. Something is also causing the eyelid deformations to render differently when stopping and re-starting the render (contrary to what is displayed in Open GL). Feel free to chime in if any of this sounds familiar, the rig is getting quite complex which makes diagnosing these things difficult

Also, the subpatch reduction at the end of the video exhibits a practical example of what I was on about in this thread, hilighting the need for control over tesselation orientation (see the 10-edge poles between the eyebrows - they cause creases even at the highest of subpatch levels).

(c:

EDIT: Probably should have put this in Character Animation Tips & Tricks - feel free to shift it mods.
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 12-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.

From one Melbournian to another ... that is awesome work Chris ! Shame about all the stability issues tho. Have you spoken to Denis/ NT about those ? I'm no expert, but apart from the tension node there's not much there that should cause you such grief.

Thanks adk - I usually find that my scenes develop some of these symptoms once there's enough going on in them. I might try and strip the scene down at some point and send the carcass to NT, unless it turns out to be the Tension node - although I think I've hassled Denis enough already...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    Thanks adk - I usually find that my scenes develop some of these symptoms once there's enough going on in them. I might try and strip the scene down at some point and send the carcass to NT ...
    By the sounds of it I'd say it will definitely be worth your while trying to get a bit closer to the root of the issue. Sounds a bit like pot luck at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    ... unless it turns out to be the Tension node - although I think I've hassled Denis enough already...
    Haven't we all. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Denis & the way he goes about it. Honestly, I'd be lost without his nodes.

OH, forgot to mention, your work kicks a## mate

Cool stuff Chris! Pity to hear about the stability, are you working on OSX or WIN?

Thanks kfinla - I'm on Win XP (32 bit).

chris...
    you cant feed talent like yours xp 32....

have to upgrade to 7 64 at least....

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Utterly amazing. Great work here.

Excellent stuff. I've been playing with the tension node for wrinkles myself, though not with that level of details in the node setup. Good work.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

impressive. have to look into that technique although it seems to be very hard and complex.

This is great work!

Thanks folks - configuring the nodes was quite the mental workout, that's for sure. Looking at them now I can barely understand what's going on myself! I could probably elaborate if pressed though.

wow, that looks awesome, that face really lives.

Wow , i have such a long way to go . Amazing work

very cool, let us know you work out the crashing issues

Looks great!

edit: ah, ok, you MDD scanned it first and then FX Metalinked the eyebrows...
    i posted an example file in the other thread, closer, but not a 100%...
    Last edited by erikals; 12-18-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast