Thread: Upgrade from 10 to 11 is not good under mac?

Upgrade from 10 to 11 is not good under mac?

i'm long time user of Lightwave, from 3.0 under Amiga. I upgraded it until 10 with core project (no comment about it, please...)

Recently i go to Mac Os, and i tried lw 11.0.3 to understand if is a good deal under MacOs, Mountain Lion, but ... nothing Lw is very instable. I tried to use new function like instance and crown, GoZ but often lw or modeler crash.

Last night i did a simple project where i did a cilinder subdivided, 8 bone, i deformed and animated bone by hand, with multi selection, but often when i change keys value from graph editor lightwave crash...
    Lightwave under OsX is very slow, and sluggish... but... with bootcamp and seven on same computer is fast as light, and trial allow me to work easely on scenes.

And... my Computer is a I7 3,5 ghz, 16gb of ram, Nvidia card. Not a slow computer...
    On same Os Cinema 4d r14 work fast and stable, i tried any hard function of it (i'm studing new function, i'm Cf Trainer for it and i must able to teach new feature as soon as possible) and all work fine and never crash.
    I would like to use Lw under mac, i have most of plugins that i ever used under windows and can work fine...
    MacOs X is just clean install, i have few software and constant optimize of Os by onyx and other tools.

and just to tell it's time to understand how mac gui work, and if i focus on numeric window, i would like to use shortcut without click on main window..
    like photoshop and many other softwares did from many years.

i need to attend to 11.5 to find stability? or i must migrate directly to cinema4D? which have many tools that we could saw on old core build, but we never will see in lw :-(
    Danger! Mad Scientist at work

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

Lw under OSX lw(like many other 3d apps) is still not as stable as it is on windows but it has definitely come a long way as far as stability is concerned.
    Lw should not crash frequently under many of the conditions you pointed out, perhaps that might have something to do with your gpu drivers, trying updating them to the current drivers from the gpu manufacturer and if that does'nt help trash your configs.

Lw 11.0.3 is super stable here under OSX 10.8.2 - i'd say it's the most stable and fast release we had ever for mac.
    on the other side, i'm not using the GOZ function at all, so i can't confirm on this side.

the usual tips in this case would be:

* check your console logs for layout/modeler crash logs and try to figure out what happened
    * do a general check of the partition on which LW is installed with disk utility, *including* a permissions repair.
    * after this, did u try to use the LW installer again to do a fresh installation?

also:
    * check if you're actually running LW in 64 bit mode (32 bit mode could lead to crashes when handling large scenes/objects)
    * check if your crashes also happen without any third party plugin/script installled
    * try using a 'local' configs folder. procedure on mac: create a "Preferences" folder inside your LW installation folder and relaunch layout or modeler.

hope this helps...

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 12-03-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by Hail View Post
    Lw under OSX lw(like many other 3d apps)
    i'm not agree, on my os lw is the only instable application, i use also cinema4d and zbrush intensly, but they never crash, i installed a demo of maya to learn how to exchange with a co - worker some project data, and again it not crash on complex scene that i export from cinema or lw by fbx, my actual problem is lw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail View Post
    is still not as stable as it is on windows but it has definitely come a long way as far as stability is concerned.
    Lw should not crash frequently under many of the conditions you pointed out, perhaps that might have something to do with your gpu drivers, trying updating them to the current drivers from the gpu manufacturer and if that does'nt help trash your configs.
    i just did a fresh install of OS, last gpu driver, but also if it's the only software installed it give me many crash during keyframe editing and when i try to use instance and fiberfx, only during editing work, if i load a scene and render work fine and fast.

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    Lw 11.0.3 is super stable here under OSX 10.8.2 - i'd say it's the most stable and fast release we had ever for mac.
    on the other side, i'm not using the GOZ function at all, so i can't confirm on this side.

the usual tips in this case would be:

* check your console logs for layout/modeler crash logs and try to figure out what happened
    * do a general check of the partition on which LW is installed with disk utility, *including* a permissions repair.
    * after this, did u try to use the LW installer again to do a fresh installation?
    i just did, and here i have a fresh install of OS and Lw
    also:
    * check if you're actually running LW in 64 bit mode (32 bit mode could lead to crashes when handling large scenes/objects)
    it crash also on simple scene during few bone editing with graph editor.
    how can i check if it start in 64bit mode? on windows i know there is two executable, but under macOs how can i check it?
    * check if your crashes also happen without any third party plugin/script installled
    no external plug loaded :-(
    * try using a 'local' configs folder. procedure on mac: create a "Preferences" folder inside your LW installation folder and relaunch layout or modeler.
    i not tried, and i not tried without hub
    hope this helps...

markus
    I want to thank both for your suggest, i try and keep you updated. :-D

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelinfected View Post
    how can i check if it start in 64bit mode? on windows i know there is two executable, but under macOs how can i check it?
    Click on either the Layout or Modeler icon. Then select in Menu: >File >Get Info [or Command I]. In the window that pops up, there is an option to "Open in 32-bit mode." If it is checked, you are in 32-bit.

I'm running OS 10.8.1 with LW 11.0.3 (64-bit) and this has been pretty solid. When you crash, do you get the crash report window (trying to send back to Apple)? Some times, you can dig out the offending action that causes the crash from that mess of code.

Are you running "dongle-less" or with dongle?

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    Click on either the Layout or Modeler icon. Then select in Menu: >File >Get Info [or Command I]. In the window that pops up, there is an option to "Open in 32-bit mode." If it is checked, you are in 32-bit.

I'm running OS 10.8.1 with LW 11.0.3 (64-bit) and this has been pretty solid. When you crash, do you get the crash report window (trying to send back to Apple)? Some times, you can dig out the offending action that causes the crash from that mess of code.

Are you running "dongle-less" or with dongle?
    Hi,
    I checked, and both work in 64bit. i'm running in dongle-less be cause i have license of 10, and 11 is in trial mode, i tried with and without dongle installed, but nothing change. i'm running in 10.8.2 and other 3d packages work fine. I use also octane and other cuda/gpu based tools and no one crash... i try to check crash report to find causes.
    thanks for suggest.

actually i build Preference in lw folder, and now seems work fine and stable, but ...
    NEWTEK!!! WHAT THE HELL'S DO YOU DID?
    it's better that the installer do that like default, and only more skilled guys move it...
    common user not need configs for every user of his computer...

thanks to all suggests, all helps from lw community