Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Collier's Space station project

Looks great. For some reason, I always thought it should be a big rocket...hehe
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Gorgeous and impressive! Did you do the launch platform too? Quite a cool model! The only thing I would say is to do a touch more tonemapping on some of the images, so you don't get so much burn-out, maybe adding a little retro colour grading (though not quite as silly as instagram ).

Was doing some research of my own for something entirely different and stumbled across this little gem. Thought it may be of interest:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/195...spacecraft.htm

Thanks I bookmarked it, although I was aware of the fantastic plastic model I hadn't seen the catalog of other retro ships. Tobian, you are probably right about being more gentle with the image but I actually do a bit of Pshop work to get that blown out look, however I work with JPGs so not much latitude for contrast. This is still a work in progress and I keep thinking I'll do later renders that will be the proper ones and these are just tests or dress rehearsals and I'll save the renders in a better format and do more professional grading. Actually the raw LW renders look pretty good, you'd probably prefer them.

I made the platform and surrounds but the cars and people and some of the distant structures I found online , all low quality but still pretty good at a distance. I have a real respect for game artists who make these low poly objects, I dissect them and look at their textures and techniques as I think these people are magicians.

Well the thing about burning out is to use a curve, so that your brights approach but never actually hit 255, which is a filmic approach. Fair enough for WIP's but things just look better if they take this model. I do like the very bright sunny day look to the renders, just clamping annoys me when I see it Not wanting to diss your stuff because it looks awesome, just bugs me

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    I really love this classic science fiction illustration style. I've send this over to our LightWave 3D Group Marketing Team. Great work!
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Very cool! Good job!
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567