Thread: MXF native?

MXF native?

Hi. I'm probably getting into the game again. Need a camera and am impressed with Canon XF series. Can Speededit handle .mxf files natively?
    Thanks for any info.

Multimedia Magician
    Yes, very well. I shoot with Panasonic HPX500 cameras, and the files are 1080/60FPS, saved in MXF format. They are recorded onto P2 cards, and then I directly import them onto my hard drive. SE2 can load up the video streams immediately with no conversion. I hope this helps. I am amazed by the quality of output starting with these cameras, and going through SE2, and eventually to Blu-ray. Really really good stuff!

The other day I tried loading a mxf file from a client, and had no luck. Something I'm missing?

You need more than just can it read 'MXF' to know if it is going to work. MXF is just a container like Quicktime. It is the codec inside that matters. Just like Quicktime, MXF files comes in many different codecs: MPEG-2, XDCAM, DVCProHD, AVC-Intra, GFCAM, DNxHD and so on.

From what I can find, it appears that Canon's XF codec is a bit different than the MPEG-2 format used by XDCAM. Which would lead me to believe that SpeedEDIT will not be able to read them. You might try different formats of XF compression that the camera supports to be sure, but your solution might be to convert them using another tool into a Quicktime or AVI file that SpeedEDIT can read.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Canon .MXF from a ( actually a few ) Canon XF 305 play fine on SE 2.5 here.
    The problem is the XF 305.

I've not tried these files in SE. But the Canon camera's are over-hyped consumer junk IMO. They don't care about your standards and they are an unorganized bunch. Even back when it was DV based. You could record in one canon camera and try to play the footage back in a DV Deck and it would never track well. You'd have to play it out in the camera that recorded it because they didn't adhere to a head alignment standard like everyone else did. That's what you get when you deal with a company making expensive cameras in the "Consumer Products" factory. It really not made for professionals. Do yourself a favor and buy a Panasonic HVX, Sony NX5 or JVC HM600/650 and you won't have an issue.
    & WPS ROCKS!!!

Hello,

what I am saying is the Canon XF 305 sucks as a camera ( lens, sensitivity, image quality, ergonomic ) but I got no problem playing back the files in SE 2.5.

Blog Entries
    Yes, but what Dominic's saying is he just doesn't think Canon makes good camera products in general.