Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of Watershed

Isn't it the B capitalization that matters? Big B for Bytes and little b for bits? So many letters…

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

All CDNs can have issues, but Amazon EC2 had (is having?) a lengthy outage today. http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...Top+Stories%29

Another reason to have a couple options.

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

I've spent almost the whole day reading the documentation on Wowza. My plan right now is to put up a box in a datacenter running Wowza, and use that box as my primary system for events and ondemand. I will back it up with instances on Amazon when I need more capacity. Wowza has a very slick ability to repeat and mirror streams with dynamic load balancing. So, my own system plus roll-up additional capacity when needed, all seamless to my branding and players on my website.

Getting in pretty deep.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    I've spent almost the whole day reading the documentation on Wowza. My plan right now is to put up a box in a datacenter running Wowza, and use that box as my primary system for events and ondemand. I will back it up with instances on Amazon when I need more capacity. Wowza has a very slick ability to repeat and mirror streams with dynamic load balancing. So, my own system plus roll-up additional capacity when needed, all seamless to my branding and players on my website.

Getting in pretty deep.
    Careful. It is worse than $5 crack.

Glad you got over the hump. Once you get into it, it becomes easier and easier.

You need to get your sites setup to be podcast ready wordpress/powerpress is a great combination, we stream live, record the shows, then put them up online and distribute them to over 150 devices. This will fix your play on demand.

If your streaming 24/7 I understand your issue, but most of us do not stream 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    I don't think Amazon is going to end up being a solution for us. Having to keep the insance alive for on-demand viewing, plus being able to set up brands for our customers, is going to be the nail in it. I'll probably still consider it for big events or as a backup for big events on whatever other platform we select.

I already co-lo a web server - rolled it to a whole machine from a virtual machine a few years ago - and might consider that.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

I have a $49 Watershed acct but have not been given any notice of the service ending.

My last big event I used Speedyrails which is a third party seller of edgecast. I am using for live streaming and on demand.
    Costs are very reasonable. If not using for anything that month, I think its just $10.

And while there is not great CS there is a lot more than Watershed ever gave.
    ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Video Producer, So Calif.
    HUGE NEWS! I drilled down into the Watershed End-of-Life FAQ (log into Watershed and you'll see a giant yellow EOL notice with an FAQ link) and apparently, as a Watershed user, Ustream is offering us continuation of our pricing and service! They just want us to migrate to their Pro platform for administration! This is AWESOME news because we don't have to increase budget or anything. We can all stop talking about who we migrate away from Ustream to...
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I wouldn't plan on keeping all your eggs in that one basket for the long term. There are more affordable CDNs with more features, reliability, flexibility, and customer service than ustream's watershed

Quote Originally Posted by TakeOneDigital View Post
    HUGE NEWS! I drilled down into the Watershed End-of-Life FAQ (log into Watershed and you'll see a giant yellow EOL notice with an FAQ link) and apparently, as a Watershed user, Ustream is offering us continuation of our pricing and service! They just want us to migrate to their Pro platform for administration! This is AWESOME news because we don't have to increase budget or anything. We can all stop talking about who we migrate away from Ustream to...

:blink: Huh. :runs off to experiment:
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Please feel free to try our service. It is a free setup with variable pricing. Try if for free and let me know what you think. We are buying a 455 this week to support our own internal clients.

www.Shadow-Technologies.tv

Steve Spaw

Are the "FREE" and "ENTRY" switched? The FREE has better features than the paid ENTRY options.

We have done more than 5000 web broadcasts since gosh I can't even recall when on our own streaming system called StreamSite. And we were among the very first to do it ever on the web. And I believe we still have the only Pay-Per-View system although some others have been dabbling in it a bit more recently - and everyone wants free theses days anyway. We built the complete system for it and are partnered with a major streaming back end with servers all over the world. We can handle any number of viewers without issues, and it's all automatic. We've had zero down time in all our years of broadcasting. Well except for the one time a stadium caught on fire. Okay, that's the good news (not the fire, but the rest)... the bad news is we haven't really opened it up to the public because we simply don't have time for it. We currently only use it with our own clients. If someone wanted to talk with us about the possibilities of taking this out to the public, we'd be interested to hear from you. We've also been looking at adding control for it in our Master Control product, allowing you to automatically handle commercial rolls, and such too. Something to think about.
    Master Control... One Touch Does it All and Much More...
    http://mastercontrol.youngmonkey.ca

NewTek Authorized Reseller

Video Producer, So Calif.
    I'd love to see your system. You have video on your site but none of them play in iOS. Hmm... Does your streaming service support iOS?

Oh, and UStream Pro supports PPV. Todocast has, too, for about 2 years.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

We do have support for iOS and Flash with live conversion for it. Web video has become evil these days. Sometimes I wish there was only one "standard".... unfortunately, as much as Microsoft would like otherwise, they don't control the web so WMV isn't it. Flash is being phased out too, so that's not it either. You really need to devote your life to an undertaking like this... which is, well, why there's lots of companies out there doing, or trying to do, just that.
    Master Control... One Touch Does it All and Much More...
    http://mastercontrol.youngmonkey.ca

NewTek Authorized Reseller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12