Thread: TC40 and old Sony M3's for kids show?

TC40 and old Sony M3's for kids show?

Hi. Long time away from here. Just wondering if the keying technology has advanced enough in the few years I've been away to
    get away with using old saticon Sony M3's (about 650 lines resolution) with TC40 via composite?

I've got an M3 and 2 x M3a's in excellent condition (with geat Canon glass) and would like to do a community kids show.

Thanks. Chris

Any advancements in keying wont overcome the limitation of color and resolution that composite video signal possesses. But for a kids show, it might be ok.
    All that great glass would be wasted.

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

thanks, Rally.. Isn't glass wasted anyway? What can I put it on these days?

If you're working in SD, I wouldn't hesitate to at least try it. The biggest quality problem with composite was always it's association with VHS. It got a bad rap for that reason. Even so, it wasn't uncommon back inthe day to see composite running all over the place in studios, when used simply as a direct signal transmission method. Video direct from camera to keyer wasn't as bad as might have been expected by many, though obviously nowhere near as clean as we have become accustomed to for HD.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")