Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Rounding Issues

More Rounding Issues

I've made great strides using the rounding tool but what's the secret to getting a round edge on the inner edge of a cylinder with a hole? I keep getting that standard Rounder warning.
    I'm sure it's really basic. Any tuts available on this? The object I submitted on the original thread is still being a problem child. I suspect it's because it has holes as well.

Thanks.
    DI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-10-10 at 3.34.06 PM.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	108483  
    Time is not linear but rather an eternal "now."

Have you tired cutting that n-gon into quads first?

I haven't played with rounder..but that's where I'd start.

Kuzey

"holy" concave n-gon!

Just kill it and bridge the 2 open edges loops. Voilá, quads that will make rounder work.

Cheers

Rounder isn't all that great, but instead of just telling you to run out and get LWCad I've attached a short video showing how you would need to do to make that object. First off - Rounder has issues with boolean objects. You need to think of other ways to get holes in objects. In this video I've "Rounded" both ends of the cylinder - notice I had to do one side at a time because of Rounders limitations. I then beveled the two ends and used bridge to make the hole. I then went back and use Rounder to chamfer the edges of the hole - again one side at a time. Bottom line - Rounder isn't all that great. Check out the video here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQhYavcgcxE

actually if you select the exterior edges first, apply rounder, then select the inner edges and apply rounder it works perfectly. with the merged ngon or with quads. don't select the exterior and inner edges and apply rounder at the same time, this way you get poop.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Yep - that too.

Get Lightwave CAD.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yep - that too.

That works with square objects but for whatever reason not with this.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    DI

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    Have you tired cutting that n-gon into quads first?

I haven't played with rounder..but that's where I'd start.

Kuzey

Thank you Snosrap, I'll try that.
    DI

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly what I'm doing, outer edge on one side, then the other (as attached( but when I go to the inner edge I get the warning.
    DI

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    actually if you select the exterior edges first, apply rounder, then select the inner edges and apply rounder it works perfectly. with the merged ngon or with quads. don't select the exterior and inner edges and apply rounder at the same time, this way you get poop.

Sorry, somewhat new, is that a plugin or an Application?
    DI

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Get Lightwave CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalimagery View Post
    Sorry, somewhat new, is that a plugin or an Application?
    DI
    http://www.wtools3d.com/

Plugins. . .It's like having the other half of modeler installed for you. Kind of like how messiah is with Layout except you can still do everything inside the modeler environment/UI with LWCAD.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 10-10-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I was able to round all four edge loops with ONE rounder command!... on both the poly and the Ngon version. See attached.

You just need to make sure that any edges connecting the loops you want rounded have a break in them. On the all quad model a quick band saw is all you need.
    In the case of your Ngon model you must remember to include a break that one little edge in the middle of the Ngon. You can delete the extra point after the round if you want.

Oh, and don't forget to first MERGE POINTS after your boolean!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 321.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	108492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 322.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	108493  

JoePoe, you are exactly right. And thats why Rounder sucks. To be sure, rounding and chamfering even in solid based apps such as Inventor can be problematic, but Rounder is just not reliable - especially for a beginner getting into LW. I'd like NT to fix the issues, but in the mean time if one can afford LWCad that is the "fix". LWCad offers so much to Modeler and their Mass Round tool is only a small portion of what it is capable of.

also in this specific object you could just select the top and bottom polygons and use multibevel to get the same result.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast