Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Modeling Challenge #191 - Headphones.

These are my Sharp headphones that i have had for years and came with my minidisc player.
    I didnt get as far as i wanted with this.
    Some dirty modelling was almost up to the 90 minutes given, with a few minutes to spare, i gave in trying to model all the tiny speaker holes. I was going to use a bump map, but never got around to that either.
    Started with a disk, extruded out the basic shape of the casing.
    Used some boolean operations on the areas of the casing that are cut out. Made one hole then just copied the surrounding polys and pasted into new positions, halved, mirrored object,etc.
    For the jack and wire joiner/spliter thingy, started with......another disc, used thickener. extrude etc,. I didnt think it through so well, and to do it again i would have done it another way. Used pipe in LWCAD for the wires, quick and dirty.
    I saw the advert for the new apple in your ear headphones, and that got me thinking about just using the subject matter to design something not already pre made....if i get time maybe i will.

Surfacing and rendering was done in about half an hour because i just didnt have the time, so not the best renders. Used a real lense camera for that.
    I think i spent most of that time making the wireframe renders.....

Really like all the other entries again, really nice models by all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earphones.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	108457 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earphones_wires_002.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	108458
    [][][][V1][][][]

Nice stuff everyone!

Here is mine, steampunk headphones..80mins of free styling :P

More on the blog.

Kuzey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hphones4.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	108469  

Here we go.....

sublimationman - uhura earpiece - Great wires, simple but effective.
    Kryslin - Kellogg S & S Co. headphones 82-A - Nice render and great detailing on the clamps on the side.
    Rabbitpenny - Brandes Superior Matched Tone c - Again some great detail in the adjusters and the nuts on the back of the earpiece.
    akaracquel - iBeats by Dr. Dre, In Ear Headphones - These match the reference perfectly! nice wires, looks pretty complicated on the 'L'. Overtime but good job.
    ksm357 - Adjustable headphones. Great entry to the speed challenges with smart use of the polys to get your model shapes. Love the plastic feel of the render.
    flakester - PowerBeats in-ear jobbies - These look great! intricate wires and an interesting render with the black background and the simple reflection map.
    v1u1ant - Sharp headphones - Effective modelling of all the holes and bevels, looks pretty complicated. Would have liked to see the jack wires and maybe a lighter final render to be able to see the headphone cable.
    kuzey - Steampunk headphones - Great wires, love all the nips and tucks on the joints to give all the edge details.

On to the winner.... It's a toss up between Rabbitpenny & flakester..... the winner is Rabbitpenny. Great job.

Well done all!

Congrats Rabbitpenny!
    Well done everyone, great stuff.
    --
    flakester

Blog Entries
    How do you know so much about headphones XswampyX?

Congrats Rabbitpenny

Well done Rabbitpenny! Good work all round.

I like the luminous wires XswampyX, definite going to steal that idea some time.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Congrats Rabbitpenny.
    [][][][V1][][][]

Thanks all. I was looking for this week's contest (?) and was surprised. (And I am always humbled. Great work all.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitpenny View Post
    Thanks all. I was looking for this week's contest (?) and was surprised. (And I am always humbled. Great work all.)
    I offer my congratulations as well.

Well, XswampyX needs to figure out he won two in a row, and needs to get the next one going...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Could definitely look at more pictures of headphones, pity it had to end. Really impressed with the luminous wires on a few of the images, any clues on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    I offer my congratulations as well.

Well, XswampyX needs to figure out he won two in a row, and needs to get the next one going...
    Oooops! my bad. :-(

I've had car troubles..... caught the flu..... and my internet connection to "newtek.com" keeps on F**king up. Will post a new challenge asap!

Sorry.

The luminous wires are just the wires in a very light blue colour, rendered in a dark scene with radiosity turned on. I always thought the wires were just layered over the render. But it seems they are fully 3D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12