Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: "foreach" documentation?

  1. #16
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,729

    Errors & ommisions/centralized resource/extensible/metrics

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    now some users may not like the fact that I run it now...
    I never said that I didn't like LWiki, I think it is a very handsome site and an excellent resource. It's just not the resource that I myself am most interested in.

    I think you should be compensated for your efforts on it too.

    My interest is in making BeeVee's job easier and the outcome better: he already has to write the manual. That's a given.
    1. I want to take that existing effort, and distribute the task of correcting errors and omissions, because in a document on a product as as complex as LW, there will always be errors and omissions.
    2. Additionally, I want it centralized. I think only NTek can make that happen.
    3. Plus I want it extensible: only a crowd can make that happen.
    4. And I want some metrics on what doesn't work in the manual: what do users have to go back to over and over? What subject is looked up in the index most often? Only a software based document can do that.


    One of the things that chaps my @ss currently is the lag time between finding an error and/or omission, and having the corrections appear in the dox. In the 21st Century, I think that should be 48 hours, tops. And users should be notified as these corrections get made.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  2. #17
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    One of the things that chaps my @ss currently is the lag time between finding an error and/or omission, and having the corrections appear in the dox. In the 21st Century, I think that should be 48 hours, tops. And users should be notified as these corrections get made.
    If errors are reported through FogBugz they get an email when I fix the problem and sometimes that's within minutes, let alone 48 hours. Any problems reported with 10 documentation are on hiatus until I revisit redoing the whole manual.

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  3. #18
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,729
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    If errors are reported through FogBugz they get an email when I fix the problem and sometimes that's within minutes, let alone 48 hours. Any problems reported with 10 documentation are on hiatus until I revisit redoing the whole manual.
    B
    And when do they get distributed? I'd be ecstatic if revisions were going out on a weekly basis and I'd somehow been missing the announcements all these months.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  4. #19
    automator of tasks xchrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    593
    Blog Entries
    6
    One cool thing that I would love to see happen to the documentation is see it hosted on a Newtek server somewhere similar to what maya's documentation did. It is great to have that reference without having to install it for every version of LW especially if you keep upgrading the dot releases. It would also allow for updates to the documentation be corrected faster, rather than waiting until the next release to see the updated docs.
    My Lscript Collection | LinkedIn
    3D Generalist IGT

  5. #20
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,729
    Quote Originally Posted by xchrisx View Post
    One cool thing that I would love to see happen to the documentation is see it hosted on a Newtek server somewhere similar to what maya's documentation did. It is great to have that reference without having to install it for every version of LW especially if you keep upgrading the dot releases. It would also allow for updates to the documentation be corrected faster, rather than waiting until the next release to see the updated docs.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I've been suggesting for years.

    Throw in moderated crowd-sourced additions, and that's pretty much it.

    Centralized. Evolving. Extensible.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Near Edinburgh
    Posts
    246
    Ok Jeric, on my machine the release notes for version 11 are in C:\LightWave64Bit11.0\sdk\html\lscript. I tend to still use 9.6, so I also have them here C:\Lightwave64Bit9.6\SDK\html\lscript, also got them in C:\Lightwave64Bit9.6\Documentation\lscript.

    Regards

    Iain.

  7. #22
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,729

    Lightbulb make resource locations a 'sticky'

    Quote Originally Posted by iain_r View Post
    Ok Jeric, on my machine the release notes for version 11 are in C:\LightWave64Bit11.0\sdk\html\lscript. I tend to still use 9.6, so I also have them here C:\Lightwave64Bit9.6\SDK\html\lscript, also got them in C:\Lightwave64Bit9.6\Documentation\lscript.
    Regards
    Iain.
    Thanks, Iain. On my totally vanilla 11.0.3 install, in the sdk folder there are 3 zipped files: lwcoresdk11.0.zip, lwsdk11.0.zip, and pdbs.zip I'll have a look in them and see what pops out.

    Knowing the folder/filename is a big help.

    +++
    I don't know why this stuff seems to be so hidden. Seriously, finding this information feels like nothing less than a nasty hazing ritual.

    I think the location of these resources definitely warrant a 'sticky' at the top of this forum. Just one location alone, Dodgy's reference, deserves a sticky, let alone the ftp addresses.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Near Edinburgh
    Posts
    246

    File locations

    They should be in lwsdk11.0.zip in the html\lscript directory.

    Regards

    Iain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •