Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "foreach" documentation?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question "foreach" documentation?

I see the looping construct "foreach" used in various lscripts, but I don't see any documentation for that in the WebHelp.

Where might I find dox for "foreach"?

Tnx.

EDIT: and an exhaustive and definitive list of LScript commands?
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-22-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

It's generally accepted that dodgy's sites is the more complete lscript reference.

http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html

There are two documents references from NewTek. There's the reference and the user guide. I'd recommend looking through both as I've definitely had to do that when scripting.
    Last edited by nickdigital; 09-22-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Angry a dead horse

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    There are two documents references from NewTek. There's the reference and the user guide. I'd recommend looking through both as I've definitely had to do that when scripting.
    Are those separate from the WebHelp (actually just html)? I seem to recall something that was pretty much the same content as the webhelp, but better organized.

The webhelp is frustrating in that it is A) incomplete, and B) not organized in a progressive or cumulative manner, it's just a big pile of factoids.

It's generally accepted that dodgy's sites is the more complete lscript reference.

http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html
    NewTek should be ashamed.

Mike's site is indeed more complete than the webhelp: I found "foreach" there in seconds. Thanks for the link.

Not sure what Web help you're talking about. The NewTek docs I have are two pdf docs. They might be the same but just in pdf. They should be in your registration downloads. Doing a Google search should find them too.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Not sure what Web help you're talking about. The NewTek docs I have are two pdf docs. They might be the same but just in pdf. They should be in your registration downloads. Doing a Google search should find them too.
    The help that pops up when you hit (default) F1. (NewTek/LightWave11.0/docs/Help/WebHelp/lightwave_10_help_file.htm) I checked the registration downloads yesterday-- LScript dox were not apparent as separate pdf dl's.

Do you have a specific filename? That may facilitate locating them. (EDIT: nothing found in regular install under "LScr*.pdf")(EDIT2: first pass came up with a 2002 ref by Scott Wheeler & Brian Marshall....)

Dodgy's dox seem to be a superset of the html dox I mentioned. For instance, the looping construct reference is the same, but WITH the (proper) addition of 'foreach'.

Thanks Nick.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeah, we're prolly cross posting... yes, the LScriptReference.PDF seems to be the 2002 doc by SWheeler and BMarshall.

In conjunction with Dodgy's that'll probably do: I think it would make sense for these resources to be in a sticky at the top of this particular forum, plus any others that pop up.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-23-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    I would agree the documentation should be updated in a clearer more sensible fashion. Also it would be nice if there was almost some form of community repository (whether it be on the forums or on LW website) where code could be published for others to share. I know several times I have come to the forums and after an hour of digging I find a post someone made with the code I needed. It would be cool if we could figure out a way to consolidate that stuff and put it in a more organized space.
    My Lscript Collection | LinkedIn
    3D Generalist IGT

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by xchrisx View Post
    I would agree the documentation should be updated in a clearer more sensible fashion. Also it would be nice if there was almost some form of community repository (whether it be on the forums or on LW website) where code could be published for others to share. I know several times I have come to the forums and after an hour of digging I find a post someone made with the code I needed. It would be cool if we could figure out a way to consolidate that stuff and put it in a more organized space.
    Yes, the organization of the HTML is severely lacking: I believe it was lifted from the PDFs, but lost their linearity in the process (!). that is: the linearity of the PDF imposed a logical progressive order that the random access nature of the html is lacking. For instance, in the html version, it's hard to know where to even start one's exploration of LScript, especially with limited programming experience.

I had hoped that LightWIKI would be more like Wikipedia and hence more of a straight reference (really, an expanded, superior, evolving version of the manuals), but they chose a different path.

LScript documentation is a bit of a dead letter, but I'm hoping that NewTek doesn't feel it's an adequate model for the more lively Python initiative, it's not. Here's NewTek's chance to do it right:
    1. Document LightWave's Python implementation, then
    2. put it online and
    3. allow users to add code snippets, alternate explications, and links in a moderated manner.

For one thing, this would prevent situations like this current case, where FOREACH was apparently never documented at all. It's in Dodgy's material, but he's not even, TMK, an employee of NewTek.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-23-2012 at 12:18 PM.

You also need to read the Lscript release notes. They contain some interesting snippets that aren't covered by the pdf files. I've found a few bits in them that I've not found anywhere else. You could also try the mail archives.

Regards

Iain.

- - - Updated - - -

You also need to read the Lscript release notes. They contain some interesting snippets that aren't covered by the pdf files. I've found a few bits in them that I've not found anywhere else. You could also try the mail archives.

Regards

Iain.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Thank you, iain_r. --Okay, I found the PDF files, but they are dated 2002 (dayum, that's a decade ago).

Where might these release notes be?

Here's the deal: I don't understand why everything isn't just right here (see jpg):Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helpLocation.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	108059

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I had hoped that LightWIKI would be more like Wikipedia and hence more of a straight reference (really, an expanded, superior, evolving version of the manuals), but they chose a different path.
    No, LightWiki was always set up as a reference but Wikipedia would be nothing if it wasn't for all the people contributing to it and the same is true of LightWiki. Apart from a select few dedicated individuals, there was very little participation. Steph (OnlineRender) Scott has revitalised the site, but the wiki aspect has taken a secondary role because not enough people contributed.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Perhaps the Wiki aspect can only be viable if it's NewTek Official Documentation, rather than a volunteer effort.

Did the wiki have the rights to use the LW manual? To me, that's the STARTING place, the full manual, and the wiki grows from that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiki.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	108064I can give you the exact figures on that! and Ben knows better than anyone who physically wrote for LightWiki , when we got the DB there was 210 legit users around 90 spam it takes time and effort to create a solid wiki and at most there was maybe only 10 people who actually gave solid information and spent time on the project and it was building up nicely until it shut down " I think people forgot that the wiki was nearly down for 1 year!" granted a few people had the source and I think was it glen that got it work again ? and I know Liberty also tried to get it going but couldn't get the DB to restore.
    Ben fought tooth and nail to keep the wiki part the main focus and to a certain element it still is, I just convinced him that it could also be delivered in another format ...

take for example the downloads section we served 6000+ top quality and FREE models/scenes in under 3 months , we have over 200 video tutorials , we implemented CGNetwork and now sitting at 560 members and with the release of V2.0 its going to be bigger better stronger , in short LightWiki is only going to grow I have personally put in hundreds of hours and free time and spent a good few quid of my own money into making the site and I have no plans of slowing down {fact} now some users may not like the fact that I run it now and simply that is there own fault Ben called out several times for Help to get the site back up and nobody took up the offer! ...we had the site up and running and upgraded in terms of mediawiki in under 2 hours, the only reason it stayed on the .net was because I set that up quickly to test out if it was possible to restore it! the fact the .com was on a shared hosting threw a spanner in the works otherwise we would have set LightWiki and let it be,but like all good plans of mice and men... LightWiki can be anything the users want it to be, I can assure you LightWiki V2.0 will be the most advance LightWave3D website to date.

What Steph has done with the site is nothing short of amazing and the things he has planned are going to add a new dimension to the whole thing (quide liderally folks!)...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast