Thread: Tricaster Streaming Video - Hardware Decoder to Analog Video

Randy Sahae

Exclamation Tricaster Streaming Video - Hardware Decoder to Analog Video

Has anyone streamed their Tricaster to a third party hardware decoder to run Composite video and Audio to "broadcast" ??

I know I can stream to a computer and go through a scan converter to analog video, but I'm concerned about Audio / Video sync.

Perhaps someone involved in Education has streamed from one classroom to another?

Or perhaps someone in Government or Community media.

Appreciate your advice.
    Thanks
    Randy

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Wowza media server and a Roku work for many of our clients in your position. Most education clients are using projectors and computers to view the stream from classroom to classroom.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

i think i answered my own question.
    Last edited by allisons; 03-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Actually, I didn't. Let's say I have a Tricaster in one building and need separated video/audio in another building for cable TV input. Both buildings are on the same network connected by fiber. I don't want to use an encoder/decoder, and I don't want to upload to the internet first (wowza). What are my options for hardware devices to stream to that can separate the video/audio output. What about a digital signage player?

A wowza server on your premises would solve your problem

What you need to be able to do is replicate the stream coming out of the TriCaster. So a server or an encoder with multicast capacities would do this. You can't just use a piece of hardware to just view a flash stream. You can use a PC to view a windows media stream but hardly anyone uses windows media anymore. The number of hardware pieces that can decode windows media are few. There are many options a available for viewing and decoding flash streams.

Personally we have done what you are doing very easily.

One wowza server installed in your server room - $995 perpetual edition

Roku set top boxes with custom channels setup to view the live stream. - $89 per viewing room

That is the most inexpensive way to do it that we have found for our clients.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 03-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

thank you for the reply. I was looking at the Marshall Electronics VS-102-HDI which can do a RTP/RTSP stream but it says only video is supported, no audio (its main purpose is to pick up IP camera feeds). So then I started looking at the NLSS DC-400 HD media decoder...why won't it work? Check out the info below.

The NLSS HD Decoders provide a convenient way to display IP Cameras and Video Encoders. They can display up to four live HD video and audio streams simultaneously to a single monitor. These decoders support multiple video pane layouts including 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and a customized portrait view layout. Users can set up custom sequences to cycle through views or pane layouts at a given speed or quickly access desired views with the included remote control. The NLSS HD Decoders also support video display from a streaming URL or a stored video file, making it perfect for digital signage or viewing video from the internet. NLSS HD Decoders also offer a cost-effective way to build video walls. The NLSS HD Decoders automatically discover many IP cameras and encoders for faster and easier deployment. They decode common digital video formats such as H.264, MPEG-4 and M-JPEG. The NLSS HD Decoders support most IP cameras and encoders with ONVIF and RSTP protocol.

Video Producer, So Calif.
    We do the simple version of this all the time using the WMV settings. On the receive end, just open Windows Media player or VLC and "open stream" and type in the IP address of the host computer with ":8080" as the end if the string. Works great. No server needed. No weird hardware. A/V sync is fine.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

Yes I could use a PC on the other end but that would require the user to open windows media player and start the stream. Was hoping for hardware that would just work without the user having to touch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by allisons View Post
    Yes I could use a PC on the other end but that would require the user to open windows media player and start the stream. Was hoping for hardware that would just work without the user having to touch anything.
    That is exactly why we developed a system using the Roku setup. My 6 year old can turn it on and get to her channels.
    Super simple to use.

One other thing you can do is setup the Roku channel to play Video on Demand files off the wowza server. In the educational market this is handy so the teachers don't have to stop everything for a livestream of the daily announcements.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 03-30-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

the problem is that i only have one building that needs to use this, so it doesn't make sense to install a wowza server that only one roku is going to connect to. the two buildings are connected by fiber but i need some way to extend the video signal from the building the tricaster is in to the building the cable TV station is in.

Sure helps to have more of the whole picture.

Ok so you need a point to point solution then.
    Do a simple Encoder/Decoder point to point over a free dark fiber run. That is as long as you are not using all your fibers already.

More questions:
    Is the fiber setup already and terminated?
    What type of fiber do you have ran? multimode or singlemode?
    Can you be more specific about the fiber run? is it raw fiber right now or connecting two ethernet networks?
    How long of run is the fiber?
    Is the fiber run point to point? from where TriCaster is setup to the cable TV station head end is that all fiber ?
    On the Cable TV station head end? can they accept SD or HD SDI signals?

Answers to these question would sure make it easier to put you into the right solution.
    The more information you can share the better.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

There are many encoder/decoder solutions that would work (such as the marshall i mentioned above and have tested) but I'm being asked why I can't just use a decoder on the other end ("There are decoders that will decode h.264 and that is what the tricaster streams in, so why do we need an encoder?"). I don't know any of that info about the customer's fiber connection as this is just a quote.
    The cable TV input is SD composite.

I'm being asked why I can't just use a decoder on the other end ("There are decoders that will decode h.264 and that is what the tricaster streams in, so why do we need an encoder?").
    You need an encoder/decoder setup because the h.264 stream coming out of the TriCaster is a Flash encapsulated h.264 stream meant to hit a server destination. It is not the type of H.264 stream you simply can drop a decoder down to receive. You have to hit a server with it first. That is just the way it is.

I don't know any of that info about the customer's fiber connection as this is just a quote.
    The cable TV input is SD composite.
    Just a quote or not, you need more information in order to prepare an accurate estimate. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I'll try to get more info. thanks.
    so the wowza server must be re-encoding the stream into a different format that is compatible with the roku.

so the wowza server must be re-encoding the stream into a different format that is compatible with the roku.
    That is correct.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams