Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Version 4f Available

Quote Originally Posted by hschoville View Post
    Hi: After my update to version 4f, I noticed that the Backup Sessions are creating a zip file with only the Sessions directory in it; nothing else.
    Within the directory that I am backing the session to, there is a folder with the same name as the zip file that has all the session data (i.e. recorded video/audio, etc.) but it is uncompressed. Is that new for this version?
    The old revision software had backed up to a complete zip folder with everything in it... what would you suggest as a new workflow for this structure? (I haven't tried a restore yet...)
    Thank you for taking my question.
    Harley Schoville
    Harley,

There was actually some method behind the madness. The first thing to know is that we take advantage of NTFS meta data streams on our files; you can actually see these if you go into a folder with some clips and type "dir /r".

These are used for a wide variety of purposes, including but not limited to :
    • The ability to cache information about the file so that it can be loaded (much) faster and efficiently by DDRs without needing to instantiate codecs, read data from disk, etc...
    • Repair files that might be damaged. For instance you can pull out the plug of your system while recording a QuickTime and when it is added back to the DDR it will work, and be automatically and silently repaired. No other app does this with QuickTimes, try it
    • Allow files that have not yet been closed or are still being recorded, to be read by the DDRs. Something no other app allows on QuickTimes, etc...
    • Allow much faster seeking of files in the DDR without needing to read lots of data just to find frames.
    • etc...

(Please note that some of the things above are used in 455/855/8000 and not 450/850.)

The big problem is that zip files do not allow NTFS streams to be stored in them at all and so we had to make this change in order to make sure the files can be fully backed up correctly. It was probably a bug that we did things the way we did at all.

Andrew

Hi: After my update to version 4f, I noticed that the Backup Sessions are creating a zip file with only the Sessions directory in it; nothing else.

Within the directory that I am backing the session to, there is a folder with the same name as the zip file that has all the session data (i.e. recorded video/audio, etc.) but it is uncompressed. Is that new for this version?

The old revision software had backed up to a complete zip folder with everything in it... what would you suggest as a new workflow for this structure? (I haven't tried a restore yet...)

Thank you for taking my question.

Harley Schoville

We're still running our 850 on RevB and I've just tried to restore a session from the backup zip file and it tells me that there's no session file present! If you copy the zip file to another location and open it, there's a session file in there.

I've only noticed this as a live session has just been deleted by the TriCaster and no amount of prodding will allow me to restore it.
    Very frustrating, as it's all our live sets and we're on air again in the morning.

So let me try to get this correct: You have a prior backup, but TriCaster is declining to restore it, yes? Is the zip very large? Would it be possible to make arrangements for download and PM me with details so we could examine it?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    So let me try to get this correct: You have a prior backup, but TriCaster is declining to restore it, yes? Is the zip very large? Would it be possible to make arrangements for download and PM me with details so we could examine it?

Yes, confirming two issues:
    1: Backup does not restore - I can make a backup that appears to have all the relevant files, but the .session file doesn't appear to be seen.
    2: Have a session that won't open. Unfortunately, no backup of the profile and system restore points are turned off by default on the TriCaster. Quite desperate to get this fixed. It's only a 75 KB file, as is the .lastknowngoodsession file.

Regards

ahem ...

Would it be possible to make arrangements for download and PM me with details so we could examine it?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

ahem ...
    Yes of course!

Will have to wait until tomorrow, as we're frantic trying to re-build the profile and graphics ready for the morning.

Thanks. Being honest, I have to wonder whether a 75k file backup really has the livesets and graphics embedded in it anyway.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks. Being honest, I have to wonder whether a 75k file backup really has the livesets and graphics embedded in it anyway.

It wasn't the backup file at 75KB, but both the .Session and the .LastKnownGoodSession files that were at 75KB.

We are presuming that the project menu looks in the D\Sessions subfolders for the valid .Session files and then offers these on the screen menu as valid projects.

It would appear that the TriCaster dumped the project, corrupting the .Session file and would not allow it to be displayed in the project menu. Given that there is also the .LastKnownGoodSession file, I am slightly surprised that this doesn't function as an auto backup.

Fortunately we don't use any of the live sets (I don't think the UK is ready for such large wood grain effect!) but we do run all eight main inputs with studio cameras, remote video feeds and sdi graphics, as well as a mix of stills, titles and both DDRs.

Our presenter is also the producer and tech-op during live bulletins, so no time to re-configure if the project crashes or isn't even available as a menu option!

Our upgrade to v.4f had been scheduled for this week anyway, so that's now been done.
    We're not going to follow this bug any further and hope that others can learn from our comments above.

We've learned a lesson here and that is to create a full backup of each project, on a separate drive, that can be used as restore points.

Regards

I wanted to follow up with my observations on the new way sessions and media are backed up with version 4f: I recently restored a session and all items came back in without any errors.

As long as you keep your zipped archive (session data) in the same folder/directory as your session media, it handles the restore quite nicely; I can live with that.
    I just wasn't able to find that back up strategy change anywhere in the documentation.

Thanks again for checking,
    Harley

I just wasn't able to find that back up strategy change anywhere in the documentation.
    Knuckles duly rapped, thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve, I did the update, and in the course of that, it presented release notes...do you have the filename for that so I can print and re-re-read? In particular I am anxious to learn more about installing SpeedHQ codec on my mac for FCP use, if that is not in the release notes, can you direct me to a location to find the details on that? Thanks, as ever, for all your assistance!

The current readme should be found in the C:\TriCaster\Documentation folder, but I doubt it has any useful detail on codecs. The Quicktime codes for OS X are located in the folder named C:\TriCaster\Extras\Codecs\Apple OS X. You just move the .zip file to the Mac, unzip it to expose a .dmg file. Double-click the .dmg to mount it on the desktop, open the disk icon and follow instructions.

Afterward, (i.e., after installing the SpeedHQ codecs on the Mac), you can write SpeedHQ Quicktime files from apps that give you the ability to freely select Quicktime codecs. Note that by default, this does not include FCP (for reasons best known to Apple), but you can render from FCP using Compressor settings if you own it. The codecs also let you read SHQ AVI files, btw.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Greatly appreciated! My weekend work is cut out for me now!

version 4g is out now FYI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12